PDA

View Full Version : Weirdest thing happened today - pad

Pages : [1] 2

AutoApollo
10-11-2015, 01:17 PM
Hello everyone, today I was doing a full detail on my car. I was doing a tight spot with my random da polisher so I was using chemical guys orange 3inch pad. Halfway through the section the pad suddenly inflated and sprayed compound everywhere. I have no idea why this happened. It's still intact. Any ideas?

jrs1418
10-11-2015, 01:20 PM
Heat. Internally, the foam separated from the velcro backing. If you free-spun the pad it might have helped separate it, and if you do it again it'll probably go flying off leaving behinf the velcro backing

Joe@NextLevelDetail
10-11-2015, 01:24 PM
A hex logic right ?

Those pads are just useless. The Velcro in the back is just comical how bad it is.

In one day I opened a BRAND NEW SET OF HEX LOGIC PADS,

And they all flew off brand new pads on a porter cable none the less.

2 yellow pads
1 green
1 white
1 orange
1 blue
And a red pad lifted up a little bit I can still use it at low speeds cause its a finishing pad.

And I find it more comical that chemical guys puts them on there 21mm long throw machine on YouTube LOL YA RIGHT MY PC TORE THIS THINGS APART let alone a long throw.

AutoApollo
10-11-2015, 03:17 PM
A hex logic right ?

Those pads are just useless. The Velcro in the back is just comical how bad it is.

In one day I opened a BRAND NEW SET OF HEX LOGIC PADS,

And they all flew off brand new pads on a porter cable none the less.

2 yellow pads
1 green
1 white
1 orange
1 blue
And a red pad lifted up a little bit I can still use it at low speeds cause its a finishing pad.

And I find it more comical that chemical guys puts them on there 21mm long throw machine on YouTube LOL YA RIGHT MY PC TORE THIS THINGS APART let alone a long throw.

Damn, what other pads do you recommend?

choijw2
10-11-2015, 05:15 PM
I don't really recommend anything from chemical guys.

they do have some decent stuff, but for that price, you can equally good or better stuff

... anyways

I am big fan of LC pad, hydro tech pads and flat pads.
or meguairs thin pads are pretty nice too.

heckhole
10-11-2015, 06:32 PM
Contact them.

I have a new set of CG pads and haven't had any issues. But I do know my previous set did not like heat. If they got hot from over working, they were toast.

Detail-Impressions
10-11-2015, 07:08 PM
Just my Suggestions:
Random da polisher slow down the speed it's very easy to overheat pads with small diameter pads. Use multiple pads,
Clean the pads regularly, Do not saturate pad with product.

dlc95
10-11-2015, 08:28 PM
I don't have much faith in them. They are terrible at taking care of issues that they have created, and all but impossible to get a response from.

I've had problems with pads they sent me that were clearly not like the others I had of the same color. They were a different foam composition, the hexagons were smaller, and more numerous, the cut was sloppy, and the backing was flimsy. I got two uses out of them before the backing fell off. Meanwhile, the pads I got in 2013, and others from the spring time are working perfectly.

dlc95
10-11-2015, 08:41 PM
Buff and Shine had a similar foam line up. It's my understanding that B&S manufacturers their pads. This doesn't mean that CG won't source them elsewhere whose quality isn't up to par....

Genuine Buff and Shine, and Lake Country pads are available here all day long. I also favor Lake Country Hydrotech pads on the PC. If you blew up an orange HL pad, you'll blow up a B&S orange, or Hydrotech.

Joe@NextLevelDetail
10-11-2015, 08:45 PM
This was all done in one day not kidding, I had 2 green ones and they both flew off and into the air after 3 mins of use on speed of 4.5 on a PC the white pad did the same, the yellows same. And the blues and red I was applying black light on a whopping speed of 4 and they couldn't handle it lmao

So LOL AT PUTTING THEM ON A LONG THROW ORBITAL GOOD LUCK WITH THAT. PURE GARBAGE

By the way the green pads are 2 different pads and they both did the same in the matter of 6 mins lmao

Joe@NextLevelDetail
10-11-2015, 08:49 PM
Lol what a waste of money

The sad part is there still good brand new pads but no way to stick them on my machine I'm not going to spray glue ruin my backing plate and risk damaging a car for these junk pads

ski2
10-11-2015, 10:22 PM
Are you using enough pads per step?? If you're trying to do an entire car with one or two pads per step it's a recipe for failure--overheated blown up pads.

Take a look at this article by Mike Phillips: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/88109-how-many-pads-do-i-need-buff-out-my-car.html

??????????????
2 yellow pads
1 green
1 white
1 orange
1 blue
??????????

Joe@NextLevelDetail
10-11-2015, 10:29 PM
Are you using enough pads per step?? If you're trying to do an entire car with one or two pads per step it's a recipe for failure--overheated blown up pads.

Take a look at this article by Mike Phillips: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/88109-how-many-pads-do-i-need-buff-out-my-car.html

??????????????
2 yellow pads
1 green
1 white
1 orange
1 blue
??????????

I'm not a beginner I am a pro, I own and operate my own detail shop.

Maybe you didn't read what I said. They flew off within the first 3 mins of buffing I didn't get to finish one panel with either pad. I didnt go around the whole car and then failed, however that's still in excusable for a pad to fail.

The yellow pads were being used for
headlights and both failed, and I was using a AIO on the green pads for a cleaner wax job they both flew off instantly. Same for the white.

The blue and red I was using blacklight and they all failed the same day. On a porter cable, not my g21 not my flex, a porter cable.

My pads were obviously defected. I have used hex logic before and however they are flimsy but they did not break as fast as these.

I use all other pads with no issues.

AnthonyGXP
10-11-2015, 10:30 PM
Lol what a waste of money

The sad part is there still good brand new pads but no way to stick them on my machine I'm not going to spray glue ruin my backing plate and risk damaging a car for these junk pads

Looks as if you're over saturating your pads and not changing pads frequent enough, I can see where the liquid has soaked completely through to the velcro.

Some of those pads, especially the green, looks like they have WAY MORE than just a few minutes use!

Joe@NextLevelDetail
10-11-2015, 10:37 PM
Looks as if you're over saturating your pads and not changing pads frequent enough, I can see where the liquid has soaked completely through to the velcro.

Some of those pads, especially the green, looks like they have WAY MORE than just a few minutes use!

Uhhhh once again they flew off within the first few mins of buffing, I didn't over saturate, or have to swap out pads because I didn't get to go past one panel lmao....

Read what I said how they got messed up I did not do the whole car and failed.

Also the green pad was used with a black polish (mothers foam pad polish) its black that's why the pad is black.

I was doing a light polish on this daily driver and the green hex logic is for this one steps with a polish.

I own and operate a detail shop and very experienced with paint correction and never had anything happens like that with pads.

The green pad has open pores and the polish seeped. I was using foam pad polish from mothers.

I primed it and out 3 dots went to the fender and the pad flew in the air.

The pads are still useable.

The only reason they went bad is because of the separation from the flimsy Velcro hook n loop

Its adhered with glue and what happens when glue gets hot ?

Exactly. So I didn't use then improper I had defected pads. I didn't over saturate I didn't over use them .

Even if you did over saturate I can go to my shop and fill a lake country pad with product and run it on my g21 on speed 5 and do one side of a car and it will not fail like these did.