PDA

View Full Version : The Magic Eraser

Pages : [1] 2 3

vanev
10-10-2015, 01:43 PM
I have seen some well respected auto detailers suggest using the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on everything from cleaning scuff marks on body and paint, to interior cleaning.
Magic Eraser Orginal | Mr Clean® (http://www.mrclean.com/en-us/shop-products/magic-erasers/magic-eraser-original)

http://i.imgur.com/KBFGK76.jpg

My experience with the Magic Eraser is not so magical.
Upon testing it on various work trucks, I do find it can help remove scuff marks, and otherwise hard to clean marks, on the paint and clearcoat.
The problem is that I find it mars the paint pretty badly.
So, it s not proving worth it for this application, as far as I can tell.

I have tried it with various degreasers and super degreasers, as well as various levels of hand pressure on the pad, to hand speeds covering the surface.

What are your thoughts on this product?
What, in your experience, is it good for and not good for in the auto detail industry?
Any suggestions for ways I can better use this product based on my previous description?

KS_Detailing
10-10-2015, 05:22 PM
I use a magic eraser all the time on the interior but I wouldn't touch the paint with it

Pats300zx
10-10-2015, 05:32 PM
I have seen some well respected auto detailers suggest using the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on everything from cleaning scuff marks on body and paint, to interior cleaning.

Magic Eraser Orginal | Mr CleanÂ[emoji768] (http://www.mrclean.com/en-us/shop-products/magic-erasers/magic-eraser-original)

http://i.imgur.com/KBFGK76.jpg

My experience with the Magic Eraser is not so magical.

Upon testing it on various work trucks, I do find it can help remove scuff marks, and otherwise hard to clean marks, on the paint and clearcoat.

The problem is that I find it mars the paint pretty badly.

So, it s not proving worth it for this application, as far as I can tell.

I have tried it with various degreasers and super degreasers, as well as various levels of hand pressure on the pad, to hand speeds covering the surface.

What are your thoughts on this product?

What, in your experience, is it good for and not good for in the auto detail industry?

Any suggestions for ways I can better use this product based on my previous description?

I WOULD NEVER use a Magic Eraser on paint. You do realize that it's basically fine grade sandpaper in a foam form.

Joe@NextLevelDetail
10-10-2015, 05:54 PM
I seen that Darren from autofetish on youtube talks how wonderful it is. However sitting there for 30 mins explaining about stuff that has nothing to do with the title of the video, i just couldnt and took it off, he is too much sometimes.

I seen he tryed to review nanoskin sponges the video is about 30 mins of him talking about customers and paint and polishing and there blah blah blah wasnt a review.

So i still dont know what he uses it for dont have the patience

PA DETAILER
10-10-2015, 06:12 PM
How is it on interior plastic scratches?

dcjredline
10-10-2015, 07:02 PM
I also like it for interior scuff marks. I cant believe someone uses it on paint though. Can you reference a video that a detailer uses it on paint?

FUNX650
10-10-2015, 07:34 PM
I wonder if by having:
formaldehyde-melamine-sodium bisulfite copolymer
as an ingredient...makes Magic Eraser just another
polysyllabic chemical concoction to be wary of whenever
it's proposed as being part of any type of car-care regimen?

Bob

Audios S6
10-10-2015, 08:28 PM
I use a magic eraser all the time on the interior but I wouldn't touch the paint with it

Just trying to clarify.....you would use it on the coating of leather, but not the coating of metal?

I don't use them (anymore) on paint or leather unless as a last resort, I'd grab an eraser wheel for paint before a magic eraser. I have, admittedly, used it on trashed leather and got away without any damage to the coating, but I have better tools for those situations now.

Ebg18t
10-10-2015, 09:06 PM
I used it to remove paint transfer on a bumper once. But it left behind a finish like I used 2500 grit sandpaper. Not really an issue since FG400 fixed it up. But they are more aggressive then the marketing would lead one to believe.

FinishingTouchA
10-10-2015, 09:24 PM
Agreed, I wouldn't use it on paint unless you're using it as sandpaper... which leads me to ask the question... Could you use a magic eraser in place of 2k-3k sandpaper for deep scratch removal? Seems like by its nature it would form into the scratch and abrade the paint in a way regular sandpaper just can't do.

shagnat
10-10-2015, 09:59 PM
I seen that Darren from autofetish on youtube talks how wonderful it is. However sitting there for 30 mins explaining about stuff that has nothing to do with the title of the video, i just couldnt and took it off, he is too much sometimes.

I seen he tryed to review nanoskin sponges the video is about 30 mins of him talking about customers and paint and polishing and there blah blah blah wasnt a review.

So i still dont know what he uses it for dont have the patience
I can't watch his stuff..... he talks about "Johnny Lawn Mower" "Johnny Customer" "his tennis elbow"..... blah blah blah..... so dramatic....... stuck on himself waaaaaay too much....... and uses words incorrectly all the time.... but mainly, as you stated, he rambles on and on and he just gives me a headache.

AnthonyGXP
10-10-2015, 11:52 PM
I use them to remove paint transfer. It does haze/mar the surface depending on pressure applied, but nothing that a compound or even a medium cut polish wouldn't remove.

AnthonyGXP
10-10-2015, 11:53 PM
I can't watch his stuff..... he talks about "Johnny Lawn Mower" "Johnny Customer" "his tennis elbow"..... blah blah blah..... so dramatic....... stuck on himself waaaaaay too much....... and uses words incorrectly all the time.... but mainly, as you stated, he rambles on and on and he just gives me a headache.

He's actually getting better with less digression!

Calendyr
10-11-2015, 01:18 AM
Magic eracers are a very powerful tool to have in your arsenal.

I use them for:

Paint: When something cannot be removed by my Nanoskin sponges (fine and medium) I break out the Magic eracer and what ever was stuck to the paint is gone in seconds. Sometimes I have to do a light polish afterwards. No biggie.

Inside of windshields: You know sometimes the inside of the windshield have a gunky haze on it... Magic eracer takes care of that no problem.

I have not used them for anything else yet, but I am sure at some point I will need to them to remove stuff on plastic or seats. Just has not come up yet.

I find it funny when people say "I would never use it on paint" It's much gentler than a sand paper, yet we do use sand paper on paint ;)

Oh.. I was talking about this product to a friend who is a bio-chemist and he told me to wear gloves when using it. Seem like this stuff is pretty nasty for your health so you want some protection when using it. Same goes for many of the chemicals we use like wheel brightner, degreasers and APCs. So just use common sense and protect yourself.

heckhole
10-11-2015, 10:16 AM
Magic Eraser is non toxic.

Visit snopes.com

I use ME's on a ton of stuff, not just for auto detailing. They are safe to use bare handed lol. And if you need to wear gloves using a product on a customers car, then you shouldn't be exposing them to that unless it's a necessity and they are warned before hand.