PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Hyundai Elantra - Hard paint ?/correction

Avgguy
10-10-2015, 08:36 AM
Good morning. Picked up a detail job last night @ A Zone. Employee's wife has an '11 Elantra. Searching here it looks like newer Hyundai paint is very hard in general. Assuming that holds true for the Elantra ?

This is my 5th car with a DA. Regardless of the paint type I'll do a test spot, finding the minimal correction that gets the job done.

I have 105 & 205 and just got HD Speed. 105 does great but I've searched a ton on here and tried to implement all I could/advance up learning curve/etc. and it's just a pain to work with. Will try Speed on a test spot. It will be much easier to work with and I know it won't cut as much but maybe it will be enough. That will be covered in the pre-inspection/discussion with owner like always.... maybe it won't need much correction but highly unlikely.

I've got LC and Hex Logic orange and white pads. Will try LC white first with HD Speed.

Couple of pics from the Borrego, my first da job.... not a good angle to show no swirls and no before pic on that one.

Thanks and any feedback on anything always appreciated. This is one of my passions and I like sharing and learning.

heckhole
10-10-2015, 09:33 AM
It doesn't mean that cars paint is very hard

I just did a newer Elantra and the paint was very soft. Last year I did another Hyundai and it was harder to work with than any Mercedes I've ever worked on.

You will just have to be prepared.

ski2
10-10-2015, 10:21 AM
If you are having difficulty with 105 you might want to give HD Cut a try--really easy to work with--long wet time, little to no dust and wipes off easily.

AutowerxDetailing
10-10-2015, 10:40 AM
HD Adapt is pretty awesome too. I have m105 and still use it occasionally but lately we use a lot of m100, m101, d300, or m205 for cutting.

MattPersman
10-10-2015, 11:05 AM
Definitely do the test spot with speed since you have it. it works to a very good level on softer clears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Avgguy
10-10-2015, 03:20 PM
HD Adapt is pretty awesome too. I have m105 and still use it occasionally but lately we use a lot of m100, m101, d300, or m205 for cutting.

Thanks for the responses. Does 101 cut close to 105 ? 101 is the one designed for foam pads, right ? Wow, 205 for cutting.

AutowerxDetailing
10-10-2015, 04:53 PM
Depending on the paint I feel like m101 cuts a little faster than m105; however, it finishes out ridiculously clear. And m205 on a MF cutting pad is a swirl eating monster on softer paint systems and can finish almost LSP ready.

VeloNYC
10-11-2015, 07:17 PM
It doesn't mean that cars paint is very hard

I just did a newer Elantra and the paint was very soft. Last year I did another Hyundai and it was harder to work with than any Mercedes I've ever worked on.

You will just have to be prepared.

I had 2012 Veloster it was super hard to remove microscopic swirls, got 2014 VT work was done much easier.