PDA

View Full Version : Paint Chip Repair on Crease

Ticktwo
10-09-2015, 02:26 PM
Areas of my car with road rash appear to be a prime candidate for Dr Colorchip, most are are small to fairly small. Looking at the videos and other posts I am ready to tackle it.

Looking at my car I have found some spots I am not sure about. My hood has what I can only describe as creases, natural bends in the design (BMW 328) and I would not consider the edges. They are not sharp like a door edge. Not even 45 degrees like the step down from the trunk (yes, I somehow managed a chip dead center on here as well)

any thoughts to how to deal with areas like this? Areas not as sharp as an edge? Or, since it is not flat do you have to treat them like an edge?

glfnaz
10-09-2015, 02:34 PM
I have not used it yet, but it is on my list for my next vacation coming up/

Here is a great article to read.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/83526-how-use-dr-colorchip-paint-chip-repair-systems.html

Hope this helps a bit

:xyxthumbs:

Ticktwo
10-09-2015, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the link. This was one of the posts I had seen and actually has a picture that shows a crease, although a bit sharper from mine.

In the picture where mike says he will use a modified technique the chip is next to a crease. Again my crease is not as sharp but is literally on the crease. In the pic the chip would need to move about a half inch toward Mike.

As Mike states, the Dr Colorchip system works because you wipe off the excess keeping a blob from forming. In flat or relatively flat panels you can do so. On a crease you can't. Anyone have any options for how to handle a paint chip on a crease?

The options offered by the other threads for chips on a true edge, like a door edge, are really just a blob. They don't look horrible because they are edges that are typically somewhat hidden. A crease on the hood is not really hidden. Hoping someone has a technique they can share.

Here is how I visualize Dr C working:

A rock chip: ---u---
A rock chip smeared and not wiped: ---û---
A rock chip wiped/leveled: ---~---
Still a difference between the unchipped paint and chipped paint but no blob on top, closer to a uniform level of paint.

at least that is what my crazy mind thinks.

Mike Phillips
10-09-2015, 03:19 PM
Here's 5 brand new Dr. Color Chip videos. Three of them go over different types of techniques for using Dr. Color Chip. Out of these three videos I think you'll find the approach that works best for you.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLf9SO3pQlzJ-4_wnjL9_o1XvBTw-xj4XL

:xyxthumbs:

LSNAutoDetailing
10-09-2015, 03:56 PM
The videos are great, and what's even more important is that you can try different methods. Using the clear-act solution, if there is a method that you don't get quite right, you can remove it and start over.

2black1s
10-09-2015, 04:13 PM
... Anyone have any options for how to handle a paint chip on a crease?...

... Hoping someone has a technique they can share...

Try using the edge of a credit card to level the paint in the chip.

Ticktwo
10-09-2015, 04:26 PM
Just treat it like an edge. Got it.