PDA

View Full Version : Help me Get Over my Fear on Headlights

chefwong
10-09-2015, 08:47 AM
I've never polished headlights but I've seen the results of what can happen.....

I had one of my retrofitters do some work on my headlights. I don't know if it was oversanding, overpolishing, whatever.....but it was clear one minute and then after a little ~tlc~, there were micro-cracks on them...

Anyhow, I've got a ~junker~ set of headlights and plan to remove the lenses and swap them. However, looks like the previous owner had some condensation issues that were never addressed as the I can see a condensation line on both of the headlights.

I'm planning on baby steps....trying to do a cut polish 1st instead of sanding them with the lhr75

Love to hear your process...

chefwong
10-09-2015, 09:36 AM
BTW, for inside of headlights.....most likely going to have to hand polish
It's been years since I've hand polished. Any polishes work best when hand polishing

I've got 105, 205 and Perfect Finish as my general grab polishes.
SIP and 85RD, and some others in the back of the shelf..

dcjredline
10-09-2015, 10:11 AM
I dont have any suggestions for the insides, not sure how you are going to get in there through the bulb hole and polish anything.

What I do is use the DP headlight polish. No sanding (unless the lens is completely trashed) 90% of the time there shouldnt be a need for sanding. I get a 3" cutting pad and it takes about 4 - 6 section passes to get the headlights looking great. Then I use the DP sealant for headlights.

chefwong
10-09-2015, 05:11 PM
I'll be removing the headlight lense from the assembly

AnthonyGXP
10-09-2015, 05:23 PM
It's been years since I've hand polished. Any polishes work best when hand polishing

What? I disagree. Polishes work best by machine.

chefwong
10-10-2015, 01:11 AM
It was meant as *what polishes works best via hand*.
I will be hand polising the inside of the lense cover.
Exterior will be via Rupes Mini / MF pads