PDA

View Full Version : Finger test to see if wax is on paint

prr
10-08-2015, 08:36 AM
I came across this thread, in a post at AGO asking how to tell if wax is present on car paint:

The Squeak Test - How to test for the presence of wax (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6825)

I recently came across a very simple test and am wondering what you folks here think of it. I was told to simply run my fingers across the paint, and if the fingers glide, that indicates wax, but if they drag across the surface of the paint, that indicates no wax.

Now I'm not talking from the standpoint of a professional detailer, but just someone at home who wants to know if he needs to wax again.

Reason why I'm asking, is that I recently had my car repainted. Before any wax was put on the paint, I saw lots and lots of beading when it rained. I called Maaco and they said there was no glaze on top of the clear coat; I called Sherwin Williams and they said there is no product in their clear coat (they supply Maaco) that would induce beading.

So now, I'm thinking that I can't look at beading to see how much wax is on the paint, if a car that I know has no wax, beads like it is going out of style.

Going back to the start of this post, even with all the beading, comparing how my fingers glided across the surface of another car that had recently been waxed, was a big difference to the dragging that my fingertips experienced when I moved them over the car with no wax.

So what do people here think? Is this a valid test? Or will that gliding not happen a week after wax is applied, or what?

mrbtd
10-08-2015, 08:37 AM
When in doubt...Wax it

roguerobot
10-08-2015, 08:44 AM
My fingers glide across my paint after I compound and polish, before I apply wax or sealant. Wax is for protection, it doesn't add that much 'slick' though it does add a bit. It does help it bead for sure.

Mike Phillips
10-08-2015, 10:07 AM
I came across this thread, in a post at AGO asking how to tell if wax is present on car paint:

The Squeak Test - How to test for the presence of wax (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6825)

Hard to believe I wrote 10 years ago.

:D

prr
10-08-2015, 01:01 PM
My fingers glide across my paint after I compound and polish, before I apply wax or sealant. Wax is for protection, it doesn't add that much 'slick' though it does add a bit. It does help it bead for sure.

I'm fine with that---I only want wax for protection. I am not a detailer, just someone who wants to make his paint last as long as it possible can. If wax only adds a bit of slickness, that's still ok--as long as it is there, I know I have some wax there making the surface slick.

FUNX650
10-08-2015, 01:07 PM
IMO:
Your vehicle's paint will be much better
off, if you'd go ahead and put a Sealant
on it...instead of any Waxes.

Also:
Sealants will stay "slicker", a whole
lot longer, than Waxes ever will!

Bob

prr
10-09-2015, 03:50 PM
Hmm just ran my fingers across the paint of the car without wax, immediately after washing it, and it also was very smooth. After the wax job, it was undoubtedly smoother, but still. I'm going to have to do this test only after a wash, but at this point, I'm not sure how helpful it will be, because just washed paint without any wax can still be smooth, as well.

At the end of the day, I think mrbtd's doubt test will be the best of all: when in doubt, wax it. :xyxthumbs:

Jomax
10-09-2015, 08:10 PM
Hmm just ran my fingers across the paint of the car without wax, immediately after washing it, and it also was very smooth. After the wax job, it was undoubtedly smoother, but still. I'm going to have to do this test only after a wash, but at this point, I'm not sure how helpful it will be, because just washed paint without any wax can still be smooth, as well.

At the end of the day, I think mrbtd's doubt test will be the best of all: when in doubt, wax it. :xyxthumbs:

Does your wash soap have any wax inside?

AutoApollo
10-09-2015, 08:12 PM
Carnauba wax usually lasts about 1-2 months. Sealant lasts twice as long. To prolong the wax I use a spray wax after each wash. I suggest you do that

prr
10-09-2015, 08:46 PM
Does your wash soap have any wax inside?

No. Today I used Meguiars Gold Class soap--not the wash and wax.