PDA

View Full Version : Dead bug in headlight

choijw2
10-07-2015, 09:05 PM
I received 2009 toyota camry to wash, one step polish and headlight restoration.

this might not be a job for detailer, but I see a dead bug inside of headlight and i really want to get rid of it... but cant seem to find a way..

any one can help me??

DaveT435
10-07-2015, 09:07 PM
Pictures would help

DaveT435
10-07-2015, 09:08 PM
some are actually pretty easy. A pic of as much of the back of the light as you can get would be helpful also.

Setec Astronomy
10-07-2015, 10:12 PM
You probably need to remove the bulb from the back and blow in there with some compressed air.

SYMAWD
10-07-2015, 10:44 PM
You probably need to remove the bulb from the back and blow in there with some compressed air.

This

builthatch
10-07-2015, 10:56 PM
uhh, i have an old B&D VH780 that has served me so well over a decade. it's awesome. it has a flexible ribbed hose attachment to which i've semi-permanently affixed the cone from one of those vac detail kits:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/815FB5NN19L._SY300_.gif

i fashioned a several foot long small ID clear hose attachment that fits that cone and i use for exactly what you are saying. i've removed bug parts, broken bulb capsule glass, etc. all i do is remove the bulb, fish the line in there with the vac on and go nuts. sometimes whatever debris will be too big to fit in the hose but the suction is so intense that it keeps the crap stuck to it while i remove the line.

BillE
10-08-2015, 06:35 AM
A long "Q-Tip', like what you see in the doctors/dentist office. A TINY dab of glue on the tip, and you capture that li'l sucker.

Bill

choijw2
10-08-2015, 07:43 AM
my biggest concern is, what if there is no opening to suck this sucker out... ever with bulb removed... at least thats what it seems like for this model D:

if only way to remove bug is to remove headlight cover and reassamble with new seal..... I am not going to try it ;;;

Setec Astronomy
10-08-2015, 08:55 AM
How can there not be an opening with the bulb removed?

FUNX650
10-08-2015, 09:06 AM
my biggest concern is, what if there is no opening to suck this sucker out... ever with bulb removed... at least thats what it seems like for this model D:

if only way to remove bug is to remove headlight cover and reassamble with new seal..... I am not going to try it ;;;
There is another way.

However...
IMO: there's this disclaimer to think about:

You are going to have to decide if you also want
to do a little bit of mechanical/body work...
as well as, and along with, this detailing job.

Here is one way to de-bug this
vehicle's headlamp assembly:

•After locating the underhood bulbs/wire-leads...
pull the bulbs out from the headlamp assembly.
-If you find that you can't fish the bug out of the
now empty bulb-holes...you will have to pull the
entire headlamp assembly.

•That just means removing the front clip to access
the bolts that hold the headlamp assembly in place.
-No big deal: just takes a 10mm wrench/socket;
a Phillips and small Slotted screwdrivers.

•Once the front clip's removed...
-Remove wiring/bulb from headlamp assembly;
-remove headlamp from vehicle;
-try then, to possibly shake the bug free through
the empty bulb holes.

•Re-assemble when finished with de-bugging.

Bob

choijw2
10-08-2015, 09:10 AM
as you can see its divided into 3 section and bug is in the middle...
and looks like there is no opening there.

I also watched headlight removal video for this model, but it looks like small light bulb is sitting behind that mid lens...

choijw2
10-08-2015, 09:18 AM
maybe i should've been more clear,
i was hoping to see if there was anyone with same experience with same model camry haha

well I will be taking out the headlight this evening and will see

Thank you

Setec Astronomy
10-08-2015, 10:04 AM
Oh, sorry, maybe I'm just old fashioned and not used to these "complicated" headlight assemblies. I can see where there might not be a clear path to blow something out.