PDA

View Full Version : BMW 328i - Quick Question

emmjay
10-07-2015, 03:45 PM
Hey guys,

I broke out the flex today to work on my brothers 328i that is in bad shape. Hasn't been clayed since he bought it in 2013 so the claying and wheel/tyre cleaning took it out of me.

I did work on the trunk with m205 and white hybrids, which took care of all the swirls, but nothing else...The paint does look better but its still not clear. On top of that, even though all the swirls are gone, theres still some kind of texture to the paint somewhat like small specks of dust but only to the eye...not to the touch...there is no other way to put it really.

If the light is shining and I'm looking at the paint it isn't crystal clear, theres some sort of spots/millions of tiny dots...

Question:

1. Should I try m205 with an orange cutting pad for better results?

OR

2. Should I try Ultimate Compound with White pad for better results?

Note: I'm trying to keep it as a one step!

choijw2
10-07-2015, 04:08 PM
I will just guess that 328i is dark color and not clear? as in haze/ marrying?

what was your speed setting and arm speed?
becuase m205 and white pad shouldn't leave any haze.

and those tiny dots... could they be metallic flakes?

as it comes to using m205 with more aggressive pad i will say no..

i tried that method with jet black bmw x5 and leaved micro marrying.
and for me to use ultimate compound as one step, i had to use polishing pad.. with more aggressive pad, it left slight haze, that i had to clean up by polishing.

Souldetailer
10-07-2015, 04:10 PM
Complete the total detail. I personally would have started out with a more aggressive compound seeing it hasn't been cleaned in several years, 105 or fg400. Good luck.

Peace,

Darrin

emmjay
10-07-2015, 04:16 PM
I will just guess that 328i is dark color and not clear? as in haze/ marrying?

what was your speed setting and arm speed?
becuase m205 and white pad shouldn't leave any haze.

and those tiny dots... could they be metallic flakes?

as it comes to using m205 with more aggressive pad i will say no..

i tried that method with jet black bmw x5 and leaved micro marrying.
and for me to use ultimate compound as one step, i had to use polishing pad.. with more aggressive pad, it left slight haze, that i had to clean up by polishing.
Its a Metallic Black 328i.

I'm just trying my best to keep it as a one step as I know that the car won't be cared for in the way that I take care of my car.

The m205 did clean up all the swirls and the paint looks good. But using my detailing twin halogens, theres still plenty of scratches (not swirls) and that weird texture/texture look.

I don't think its a haze, its quite hard to explain in words, and the camera just doesn't pick it up.

So are you saying that If I did try UC with a white pad I could have better results and then move to lsp?

Complete the total detail. I personally would have started out with a more aggressive compound seeing it hasn't been cleaned in several years, 105 or fg400. Good luck.

Peace,

Darrin

I want to do a complete job, but I know the car won't be cared for...thats mostly why I want to do a one step using what I have.

choijw2
10-07-2015, 04:27 PM
ummm I think picture would be helpful in this situation, but if its not haze, it's probably best you can do with m205.. after all, its finishing step.

anyways, polishing will only remove minor swirls, so you will see random deeper scratches here and there, which is totally normal.

emmjay
10-07-2015, 04:55 PM
These are the best pictures I could take

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=100513&size=1

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=100514&size=1

Here you can see some RIDS which I am fine with!

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=100511&size=1

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=100512

emmjay
10-07-2015, 05:08 PM
Note: These were taken after the polishing was done.

emmjay
10-08-2015, 06:04 AM
Anyone?

choijw2
10-08-2015, 07:32 AM
I read a thread on same situation ....

i believe this is normal

emmjay
10-08-2015, 09:00 AM
I read a thread on same situation ....

i believe this is normal

Ahh alright thanks.

Just trying to understand what that is, for the future

choijw2
10-08-2015, 09:19 AM
if i remembering correctly,
someone said it's flakes on the paint job and the lighting is tricking your eyes xD

emmjay
10-08-2015, 09:25 AM
hahahaha :dblthumb2:

marshallz3m
10-19-2015, 04:15 PM
To my eyes it looks like an orange peel pattern from a heavy respray. The reflection of the overhead light is wavy and the edges are blurred instead of sharp.

GSKR
10-19-2015, 05:08 PM
Looks etched from fallout. Needs major paint correction and after all that it will still be there but will be a major improvement.Your more than likely will have to use a wool pad and rotary maybe with m105 or harsher.Then compound again using a da with foam orange cutting,then polish maybe with carpro reflect .Always remember the more buffing can accelerate premature damage to paint.

emmjay
10-20-2015, 07:08 AM
Looks etched from fallout. Needs major paint correction and after all that it will still be there but will be a major improvement.Your more than likely will have to use a wool pad and rotary maybe with m105 or harsher.Then compound again using a da with foam orange cutting,then polish maybe with carpro reflect .Always remember the more buffing can accelerate premature damage to paint.

Thanks man. Yeah that's what the common consensus is. I don't think I will get too crazy with it as its bound to get damaged again and is parked outside 24/7. Also this type of etching/pitting is only on the horizontal panels which confirms it.

There's already a massive improvement from before as you will see in this thread:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/95929-my-2nd-detail-bmw-328i-sport.html