PDA

View Full Version : opti-lens durability.

choijw2
10-07-2015, 02:03 PM
Now that Opti-lens has been out for few years...
i wondered if any of you have good, long experience with it.

I've seen some people claiming their headlight went yellow again after 90 days others not.... getting a lot of mix feedbacks.

I am sick of my customers going back to yellow headlight and need to find long term protection (min 1 year), without spraying UV coating on top of it ... personally hate that method.

so do opti-lens coating really last 2 years on headlight?
do you guys any other recommendation as replacement?

MarkD51
10-07-2015, 02:32 PM
Will be interested to hear other's responses as well.

As far as another product to try, Carpro CQuartz DLX would probably be a good choice. Downside with it though, is then a limited shelf life time once that bottle is opened. It then won't hold up forever.

rwright
10-07-2015, 02:51 PM
In my experience plus the recommendation from OPT distributors, you have to completely remove all original UV coating by sanding to obtain full benefits of the coating. I have personally tested this by just polishing a set of headlights and they did indeed turn yellow in less than 1 year. Another client of mine has had the coating on his headlights almost 2 years now with only a small area showing a very, very faint cloudy appearance. Based on restoration photos I have concluded that this area was not fully sanded prior to coating.

As with everything detailing related, proper prep is key. If you choose to use another brand of polish other than Optimum, you must wipe away all polish oils prior to coating.

jrs1418
10-07-2015, 06:14 PM
It really depends on where you live, and the amount of UV rays able to contact the headlights.

Here in HI, o-lense didnt last too long.. but its seeming like almost everytbing ive tried provides similar results. Im using a new coating product now, and havent had enough time to test long term.

Generally, the more coats of olense or any other product, the longer it will last.

choijw2
10-07-2015, 07:22 PM
It really depends on where you live, and the amount of UV rays able to contact the headlights.

Here in HI, o-lense didnt last too long.. but its seeming like almost everytbing ive tried provides similar results. Im using a new coating product now, and havent had enough time to test long term.

Generally, the more coats of olense or any other product, the longer it will last.

How long did o-lense last for you ??

Ebg18t
10-07-2015, 08:18 PM
I am at ~ 18 months in the FL sun with Opti-Lens (2 coats). Its hard to tell if it is starting to degrade. But still no yellowing or haze on the Honda lights it is applied to.

MarkD51
10-07-2015, 09:15 PM
In my experience plus the recommendation from OPT distributors, you have to completely remove all original UV coating by sanding to obtain full benefits of the coating. I have personally tested this by just polishing a set of headlights and they did indeed turn yellow in less than 1 year. Another client of mine has had the coating on his headlights almost 2 years now with only a small area showing a very, very faint cloudy appearance. Based on restoration photos I have concluded that this area was not fully sanded prior to coating.

As with everything detailing related, proper prep is key. If you choose to use another brand of polish other than Optimum, you must wipe away all polish oils prior to coating.

In other words, Opti Lens is not a product to be used to protect new Lenses from degrading?

dc52nv
11-28-2016, 06:05 PM
Can someone please recommend a product that is intended or adheres nicely to brand new headlights?

WillSports3
11-28-2016, 06:10 PM
I would suggest a clear film for your headlights, and then coating that with just regular coating like Gloss Coat or Cquartz or what have you. Nothing is really a substitute for that.

Setec Astronomy
11-28-2016, 06:12 PM
Can someone please recommend a product that is intended or adheres nicely to brand new headlights?

I think that's the ideal use for Opti-Lens, is to preserve the factory coating. I've never gotten more than two years out of it on sanded headlights, even with 2 coats. Some other members have suggested DLux.

FocusSTguy
11-28-2016, 09:25 PM
I applied Opt-lens to my headlights about 18 mo ago. The UV coating was peeling off so I sanded/polished the rest off and put on 2 coats. The top of the headlights are horizontal and there was some cloudiness on top this spring (about a year after application) and now it is very cloudy but the front off the headlights are still clear.

Crispy
12-03-2016, 04:18 PM
Opti-Lens Protect.

It is perfect for new lenses.

Had mine on 2 yaeras and still like new.

I also put it on tailights same results.

DaveT435
12-03-2016, 10:02 PM
It's worked great for me, except on Toyota headlights.

TroyScherer
12-04-2016, 09:54 AM

I have been using Opti-Lens on new headlights with good success. I think that is the most optimal time and use for it. But as usualy I take it a few steps further.

New lights
Opti-Lens
Lamin-X film
Opti-Lens

The issues guys are getting on old lights is that once that UV coating starts to break down there just is really no stoping it. It's really like clear coat failure. You can hide it, or possibly slow it down, but once it starts it is there and will continue.