PDA

View Full Version : Paint faded in the sun - 1979 Lincoln Mark V

BigBlockHead
10-07-2015, 09:26 AM
Hi,
I recently bought this 79 Lincoln Mark V and would like to know what I should do to get the paint look a bit better.

I do have Porter Cable 7424xp polisher that I used on my other car - which was not as bad as this. Back then I followed these instructions, and used couple foam pads that came with the polisher. Should I try different pads for different products?

- Wash the car
- Use a clay bar to remove surface dirt and overspray
- Use a tar and bug remover to remove the tar and bugs
- Use a good paint cleaner like Mcguires fine cut cleaner - use a foam polishing pad on an orbital polisher- polish until the shine is even over the car.
- Use a good paint polish like Turtle Wax paint polish- use a different foam polishing pad on your orbital polisher - polish for a nice shine.
- Use a paint glaze like Mcquires Show Car Glaze - apply very thin coat by hand. The thicker the coat, the harder to remove the residue. This will give your paint a wet look shine
- Use a good carnuba wax like Mcguires Yellow wax professional grade or Mother's to protect the shine.

Thanks!

Bill1234
10-07-2015, 09:45 AM
Hi,
I recently bought this 79 Lincoln Mark V and would like to know what I should do to get the paint look a bit better.

I do have Porter Cable 7424xp polisher that I used on my other car - which was not as bad as this. Back then I followed these instructions, and used couple foam pads that came with the polisher. Should I try different pads for different products?

- Wash the car
- Use a clay bar to remove surface dirt and overspray
- Use a tar and bug remover to remove the tar and bugs
- Use a good paint cleaner like Mcguires fine cut cleaner - use a foam polishing pad on an orbital polisher- polish until the shine is even over the car.
- Use a good paint polish like Turtle Wax paint polish- use a different foam polishing pad on your orbital polisher - polish for a nice shine.
- Use a paint glaze like Mcquires Show Car Glaze - apply very thin coat by hand. The thicker the coat, the harder to remove the residue. This will give your paint a wet look shine
- Use a good carnuba wax like Mcguires Yellow wax professional grade or Mother's to protect the shine.

Thanks!

This is pretty bad,so I do not know what your other car is like. I would wash the car down as good as possible. Then clay the paint. Use an iron dwelling product, rinse, then you might need to look at meguiars show car glaze #7. This is called a glaze, but it adds the oils that were lost in old, single stage paint like this. Then polish. I would go with m205 or something from 3D car care. I would not use an abrasive compound.

Since this is more of a classic, I would go with a sealent or nano coating. I like collinite 476s or I heard sonax net shield is good.

Setec Astronomy
10-07-2015, 09:48 AM
Here's probably everything you need to know-- http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/25304-secret-removing-oxidation-restoring-show-car-finish-antique-single-stage-paints.html

There's even a '73 Lincoln like yours in the thread, a Mk. 3 or whatever it was in '73.