PDA

View Full Version : Painter from Ohio

Pages : [1] 2

7PaintGuns
10-07-2015, 07:01 AM
Hi all. Found this web site looking for sealer reviews and was impressed with the forum and decided to join. Seem like a lot of collective knowledge as far as detailing and paint preservation. I have been detailing for 15 years and painting as a professional for around 12 years. Any questions for me feel free to send me a message! Looking forward to browsing and helping where I can.

parttimer
10-07-2015, 07:08 AM
Welcome from Ohio as well!

99monguse
10-07-2015, 07:12 AM
WELCOME!

Where are you at in Ohio? I am in Mentor, Ohio...just east of Cleveland. Since you have a lot of experience painting can I ask you something?

I bought a certified used car in 2012, a 2012 Impala LTZ for my wife, jet black. The hood had some issues I didn't like, and since the car only had low mileage, I asked the Chevy dealer to repaint the hood, but the clear on the hood is the softest I have EVER seen, any bird dropping mars the finish, to the point where I have to lightly wetsand it, and I am talking the same day. The rest of the car, the factory finish, is WAY harder. If I was to get the hood re-done, what do you recommend...I want the fiinish as hard as possible.

7PaintGuns
10-07-2015, 07:50 AM
How long ago was the hood painted and do you know what brand name of paint they used?

FUNX650
10-07-2015, 08:36 AM
:welcome: ...to AGO(HIO)!

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a306/road_runner_1964/whiteflag2.gif

Bob

AZ Mike
10-07-2015, 10:16 AM
Welcome to Autogeek.

7PaintGuns
10-07-2015, 10:18 AM
Most production clear coats can take up to 90 days to fully cure. That being said you shouldn't have to wet sand the car from bird droppings around 3 weeks after application. We all know bird droppings can eat through the hardest clear coats so I would recommend keeping an eye on your hood and not park under anything a bird might consider a good place to go to the bathroom. Unfortunately you CAN NOT apply any waxes or sealers until the paint has fully cured, like I said around the 90 day mark. During this time solvents in the clear are still escaping and sealing them in can ruin the paint. Also, I would not recommend having the hood resprayed because you may end up in the same position you're already in and you dont want to have to much materiel build up. Hope that helps...

Hoytman
10-07-2015, 12:46 PM
Most production clear coats can take up to 90 days to fully cure. That being said you shouldn't have to wet sand the car from bird droppings around 3 weeks after application. We all know bird droppings can eat through the hardest clear coats so I would recommend keeping an eye on your hood and not park under anything a bird might consider a good place to go to the bathroom. Unfortunately you CAN NOT apply any waxes or sealers until the paint has fully cured, like I said around the 90 day mark. During this time solvents in the clear are still escaping and sealing them in can ruin the paint. Also, I would not recommend having the hood resprayed because you may end up in the same position you're already in and you dont want to have to much materiel build up. Hope that helps...You can now... Meguiars M305 Ultra Finishing Durable Glaze 16 oz. (http://www.autogeek.net/megiuars-m305-16.html)

7PaintGuns
10-07-2015, 02:55 PM
You can now... Meguiars M305 Ultra Finishing Durable Glaze 16 oz. (http://www.autogeek.net/megiuars-m305-16.html)

Interesting. I just might order a bottle.

Hoytman
10-07-2015, 03:01 PM
You'll find most of the forum members here aim to please.

I'm sure you'll find tons of information and tips on this forum to help you with anything detailing and especially on the topic of polishing paint.

I look forward to your benefit to our forum as a professional painter. I'll be on the lookout for tips from you.

Welcome to Autogeek Online!!!

Mike Phillips
10-07-2015, 05:04 PM
Hi all. Found this web site looking for sealer reviews and was impressed with the forum and decided to join. Seem like a lot of collective knowledge as far as detailing and paint preservation.

I have been detailing for 15 years and painting as a professional for around 12 years.

Any questions for me feel free to send me a message! Looking forward to browsing and helping where I can.

Welcome to AutogeekOnline! :welcome:

Love having painters on the forum for their experience and input.

:dblthumb2:

Souldetailer
10-07-2015, 05:44 PM
Hey 7PG,

Welcome to you sir. Always a pleasure to have someone join us that has some knowledge we can tap In to. Great forum here, looking forward to your posts. Take care.

Peace,

Darrin

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
10-08-2015, 12:39 AM
Hi, welcome to AutoGeekOnline!

BillE
10-08-2015, 06:30 AM
Welcome!

Whoopee! Another brain we can pick.

Bill

Hoytman
10-13-2015, 06:22 PM
"Unfortunately you CAN NOT apply any waxes or sealers until the paint has fully cured, like I said around the 90 day mark."
You can now... Meguiars M305 Ultra Finishing Durable Glaze 16 oz. (http://www.autogeek.net/megiuars-m305-16.html)

Actually, there's at least one more product that can be used to seal fresh paint. I ran across this in my garage.

The Product is:

Wizards
Shine Master...Polish & Breathable Sealant

Here's an excerpt from the directions on the back...

"Shine Master TM is recommended as a wax replacement, swirl mark remover, of finishing glaze be hand or machine. This polish contains a special polymer blend that provides an impressive high gloss on all type of paint: factory, custom, foreign and domestic...This unique formula is NOT water soluble and won't wash away like most hand glazes and waxes...Shine Master TM is body shop recommended as the finishing (protection) step to...(other Wizards products mentioned)...contains no wax or free silicones (after paint manufacturer's recommended dry times, normally 24 hours)."