PDA

View Full Version : Microfiber washing: Vinegar/baking soda?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

spagett
10-05-2015, 02:23 PM
Recently I've noticed some streaking on my windshield that is obviously from my hand cleaning of it. I use my Meg's Supreme Shine yellow towels with either Invisible Glass or Meg's Glass Cleaner. It's not the cleaner. It's gotta be something in the towels. I've had some of these towels for 2+ years and am beginning to think there may have some laundry detergent built up in them. I use Tide Simply Clean and Fresh on them and either cold or "eco-warm" water.

I've washed my home bath towels with vinegar followed by baking soda after reading about the same problem occurring with those (and causing that lingering funky smell). It worked like a charm. Can I try the same thing with my auto MF towels? I'm concerned about using hot water as the instructions call for and wonder if I should just use warm for that.

Anyone tried washing their MFs with vinegar and baking soda?

FUNX650
10-05-2015, 02:35 PM
I use vinegar in the rinse cycle.

But as far as using baking soda in the
washing process of MF-towels...

It would seem to me, that, all of the "hoops and
hooks"...that are weaved into microfiber...would
grab and hold on to grains of anything powdery:

Not good.

Bob

BMW435
10-05-2015, 03:12 PM
The hot water cycle doesn't get hot enough to ruin the towels. I usually wash it on warm but have done it in hot water without any problems. I always use vinegar for the rinse cycle and also do a second rinse cycle. I wouldn't use any type of powder because it could get stuck in the fibers.

Souldetailer
10-05-2015, 03:46 PM
The hot water cycle doesn't get hot enough to ruin the towels. I usually wash it on warm but have done it in hot water without any problems. I always use vinegar for the rinse cycle and also do a second rinse cycle. I wouldn't use any type of powder because it could get stuck in the fibers.

:iagree: Yep, warm water, clean "free" detergent, vinegar first and again, second rinse. That's it. Where have I heard this before?:buffing:

Peace,

Darrin

Ricorocks
10-05-2015, 03:49 PM
when you say "rinse cycle" would this be the same place that Fabric softener would go. I know Fabric Softener is a definite no no. My he machine, has a bin marked Fabric Softener, so wondering if that' where the vinegar would go?

What does the vinegar accomplish? Vinegar is acidic, does it have, to do with hard water? Would soft water wash, make vinegar un-necessary?

Every instruction video, I've seen says:

Hot Water Wash
Low Temp dry

Souldetailer
10-05-2015, 04:04 PM
when you say "rinse cycle" would this be the same place that Fabric softener would go. I know Fabric Softener is a definite no no. My he machine, has a bin marked Fabric Softener, so wondering if that' where the vinegar would go?

What does the vinegar accomplish? Vinegar is acidic, does it have, to do with hard water? Would soft water wash, make vinegar un-necessary?

Hot Water Wash
Low Temp dry

Hey there Rick,

Just dump about a half cup before the first rinse, right in the machine don't place through the fabric softener entrance. We don't want anything to do with fabric softener or dryer sheets. After wash is done, set back to rinse cycle and add another 1/2 or so. After the second rinse spin, into the dryer on delicate till dry. Works beautifully for me, towels are clean, soft and ready for action. Good luck.

Peace,

Darrin

ski2
10-05-2015, 04:24 PM
Since I've switched to 3D/HD Towel Kleen I haven't had to use vinegar in the rinse for 2 years. And, I think it's less expensive per load than Tide Clear.

custmsprty
10-05-2015, 04:32 PM
Since I've switched to 3D/HD Towel Kleen I haven't had to use vinegar in the rinse for 2 years. And, I think it's less expensive per load than Tide Clear.

:dblthumb2:

I used to use All Free & Clear.

StangFan25
10-05-2015, 04:47 PM
Seventh Generation Free and Clear is what I use. Works great.

faulksy
10-05-2015, 04:50 PM
Hey there Rick,

Just dump about a half cup before the first rinse, right in the machine don't place through the fabric softener entrance. We don't want anything to do with fabric softener or dryer sheets. After wash is done, set back to rinse cycle and add another 1/2 or so. After the second rinse spin, into the dryer on delicate till dry. Works beautifully for me, towels are clean, soft and ready for action. Good luck.

Peace,

Darrin

Placing vinegar in the fabric softener compartment is fine. It grabs the vinegar at the start of the rinse cycle. I can't open my front loader mid cycle. Even if I could I wouldn't want to keep an eye out for the rinse cycle to add my vinegar

Ricorocks
10-05-2015, 05:24 PM
@Faulsky +1 - Yes I don't want to try & time, it so as to ready with the vinegar. My wife has not used Fabric Softener in over a year. I believe running vinegar, nothing in the tub would, clean any residual F.S. Perhaps two times, just vinegar, in F.S. dispenser drawer.

F.S. is normally added by the machine during the rinse cycle, I believe could be wrong, adding an extra rinse, the vinegar would go in on the first rinse.

Never thought about not being able to open the door mid cycle.

My LG front loader, has a "tub clean" function. How often do you guys use this? My manual says to add bleach, to the detergent dispencer, then press "tub clean" button.

Also check out this Mike Phillps trained MF, guide:

http://www.incrediblydetailed.com/microfiber-manifesto-everything-need-know-microfiber-towels/

Also I like Wolfgang MF Wash, as it's designed for he machines.

Also for drying I use a drying rack, no dryer

spagett
10-05-2015, 05:47 PM
Thanks for all the responses, everyone! I've already learned a lot reading through them.

My main concern here is care for MF towels that appear to be holding some detergent residue and are no longer performing as they should. I just got a wash started and will add some vinegar for the rinse cycle as recommended. As soon as I get a chance to try them out again, I'll report back with the results. My guess is they will be greatly improved as I've never used vinegar.

SameGuy
10-05-2015, 09:01 PM
Any "free & clear" detergent (no softeners, bleach or fragrances) should work fine, but consider one of the MF-friendly detergents like MicroRestore.

I wash in an old (non-HE) top-loader, regular cycle, hot water (my hot normally doesn't get past 120°F) and extra rinse. I but a half cup of white vinegar in the top of the agitator spindle, the "softener dispenser," which gets dispersed before the first rinse. I dry on low heat, more because I use low for everything else than because I'm worried about the heat. The towels will withstand high heat just fine.

The better towels (Cobra Super Jrs. And Eagle edgelesses) get the 3M lint roller treatment (the Smack Method) before folding and being put away in a fairly well sealed box. The rest of the towels (glass, utility and dirty-job) just get stuffed in plastic bags.

asianisafish
10-05-2015, 11:24 PM
Just make sure not to use to much vinegar, you're washer could have a lingering smell

feslope
10-05-2015, 11:48 PM

Hot Water Wash
Low Temp dryThe only thing vinegar might do is help neutralize the detergent and leave a deposit in the towels if not thoroughly rinsed out. IMHO most people would be better served by trying less detergent and hotter water, especially HE machines which use less water in their wash cycle.