PDA

View Full Version : Four Star Ultimate Clay Lube review

House of Wax
10-04-2015, 12:09 PM
Awhile back I was fortunate enough to win a package of Four Star detailing products on another forum with the agreement to post reviews of the products.. I finally got a chance to bust out several of the products recently on a detail job I completed, so I'll have a review dump in the coming days. Starting out with a short and sweet review on Four Star's clay lubricant.

Quick product description:

"Even the most thorough car wash will not remove bonded contaminants from your car's paint. To quickly clean your car's paint restore a silky-smooth finish, use detailing clay after you wash. This quick and easy detailing step is essential to maintain healthy, good-looking paint.

The secret to detailing clay is proper lubrication. Four Star Ultimate Clay Lubricant offers plenty of "slip," to avoid sticking and smudging, but does not leave a soapy residue. Plus, Four Star Ultimate Clay Lubricant conditions your detailing clay for longer use without turning mushy.

Four Star Ultimate Clay Lubricant is a high-lubricity formula makes claying 100% safe. It helps to loosen and carry away bonded contamination, without scratching even the most delicate clear coat finish. With Ultimate Clay Lubricant, when the paint is clean, the clay literally glides across the paint finish with no effort. Simply wipe away Ultimate Clay Lubricant with a clean towel, and you're presented to a gorgeous finish that's ready to wax."

I've actually used this product twice now. The first was a few weeks ago using a Nanoskin medium grade prep mitt and then again today using a Nanoskin fine grade towel:

https://natehelgerson.smugmug.com/DetailingGalleries/Matt-Housers-1979-Lincoln-Town/i-WC4PcnV/0/L/IMG_3883-L.jpg (https://natehelgerson.smugmug.com/DetailingGalleries/Matt-Housers-1979-Lincoln-Town/i-WC4PcnV/A)

Everything is pretty straight forward here as far as use, so here's a few thoughts after using it:

1) Worked just fine like a clay lube should. Provided plenty of slickness and wiped off clean

2) This will be a common theme with all of the Four Star spray bottles.....I don't like the bottle shape or the sprayer at all. As you'll notice in the picture, the bottle has a narrow shape and takes nothing to tip it over. I like a nice round bottle, the bigger the better. Also the sprayer/trigger on their bottles is too small imo. I like to be able to get at least two fingers if not more on the trigger, especially with a product you'll be making several squeezes on at a time. I could not comfortably do this with these bottles. This all personal preference obviously, so take it for what it's worth

3) Would I buy this product? No. This is not a reflection on it's performance by any means. Personally, for a product like this I will always roll with a product like UWW+ due to value and ability to make large quantities at a time.

4) Would I recommend it? Sure. If somebody were looking for a dedicated clay lube I would have no problem telling them to check this product out.