PDA

View Full Version : G21 backing plate swap

Pages : [1] 2

Heisenberg
10-03-2015, 01:37 PM
I went to change out the backing plate on my G21 today and I was having trouble aligning the backing plate "shroud" and the actual polishers bolt part...they are both recessed on either side. I thought it lined up since it felt like it did, but im concerned its not completely flush.

Is there a trick to lining it up?

Justin at Final Inspection
10-03-2015, 02:32 PM
Took me a little bit to line up my 5in pad on the g21 with the washer mod.

custmsprty
10-03-2015, 02:37 PM
I use a small screwdriver to align them and then put the bolt in.

Joe@NextLevelDetail
10-03-2015, 03:03 PM
I use a small screwdriver to align them and then put the bolt in.

What he said. Or just put the plate down and hold the polisher and align them together you'll feel it fall in together then hold it together and screw it in.

Heisenberg
10-03-2015, 04:42 PM
Excellent. I am pretty sure i felt it fall in but i was a little worried i was just imagining things.

Joe@NextLevelDetail
10-05-2015, 03:50 AM
The 6 inch late is a lot smoother then the 5 inch plate. Swapping the 5 inch is good.

I prefer the 6 inch it just feels OEM and more balanced to me.

I still swap it from time to time.

However the 6.5 inch pads feel right on the 21

Heisenberg
10-05-2015, 07:34 AM
I ran it with the 5'' BP this weekend and did a full size truck... it was not as smooth as I hoped, but I think that might be a byproduct of using thicker pads. I used some thin hydrotechs and microfibers and it was pretty nice, but when I switched to some Lake Country flats it was a little bumpy.

I'm going to get some of the boss pads or some megs thin foam I think.

Justin at Final Inspection
10-05-2015, 11:24 AM
used my G21 on a gt500. Used there BOSS 5.5 pads and creams with great results. I am not a 6.5 in guy at all. I was happy with the 5in plate.

Joe@NextLevelDetail
10-05-2015, 11:37 AM
I ran it with the 5'' BP this weekend and did a full size truck... it was not as smooth as I hoped, but I think that might be a byproduct of using thicker pads. I used some thin hydrotechs and microfibers and it was pretty nice, but when I switched to some Lake Country flats it was a little bumpy.

The boss pads are smooth as butter and thick pads do change the ride of the machine. Especially if your using the 5 inch plate.

Meguiars discs work good with the boss too.

However in contoured edges slap on a thick pad as it helps rotation its like a innerflex kind of.

Don't run the inerflex pads at high speed they blow up in 1 minute even on like speed 4, 1-3

ski2
10-05-2015, 12:56 PM

B&S will be releasing their new pads designed for long throw polishers at SEMA!

Joe@NextLevelDetail
10-05-2015, 01:02 PM
B&S will be releasing their new pads designed for long throw polishers at SEMA!

Sounds interesting what did you hear about them do you have a link or something ? Thanks

Heisenberg
10-05-2015, 01:33 PM
I love Buff and Shine pads a lot... might have to put off ordering some more pads until I hear more about those. Thanks for the heads up.

ski2
10-05-2015, 04:31 PM
Sounds interesting what did you hear about them do you have a link or something ? Thanks

Nothing I can talk about at this point. I'll be trying them out in the next week, but so far they look to be excellent--which I would expect coming from B&S.

Been using their 5.5" flat pads for 5 years now and never had a pad fail, never had velcro separate, never any type of problem even at speed 6 on my GG 8mm. Used them with my G15 also and had no problems, but the new ones are designed just for long throw polishers.

Joe@NextLevelDetail
10-05-2015, 05:42 PM
Nothing I can talk about at this point. I'll be trying them out in the next week, but so far they look to be excellent--which I would expect coming from B&S.

Been using their 5.5" flat pads for 5 years now and never had a pad fail, never had velcro separate, never any type of problem even at speed 6 on my GG 8mm. Used them with my G15 also and had no problems, but the new ones are designed just for long throw polishers.

Sounds exciting thanks for the info I'll check them out

Brownie
10-21-2015, 09:45 AM
I went to change out the backing plate on my G21 today and I was having trouble aligning the backing plate "shroud" and the actual polishers bolt part...they are both recessed on either side. I thought it lined up since it felt like it did, but im concerned its not completely flush.

Is there a trick to lining it up?

A little trick... place a couple light dabs of the grease included in the THE BOSS on the hub of the backing plate. Drop the washer in... The washer will stick to the grease and make it easier to align the hub and plate. I always lay THE BOSS on its back and visually identify where the hub is relative to the backing plate. Then kind of wiggle the plate gently. You should feel it drop in and align. If you torque the bolt down without alignment, you'll likely damage the aluminum hub on the backing plate and/or experience a wobble and subsequent vibration.

It's important to maintain a light coat of grease on the backing plate. This will increase rotation and mange heat. I apply a light application after 20-25 hours of polishing.

The grease is the trick. :xyxthumbs: