PDA

View Full Version : stubborn water spots

abdi270
10-02-2015, 10:28 PM
Hello, I am new in this forum.

Maybe it sounds silly. Since water spot is a problem when it dries on my car during hot day here in jakarta - indonesia. Are there any paint sealants that water spot proof? Some people say Sonax has more power to prevent from hard water spots.

My car is a daily driver.

Your reply would be appreciated. Thank you

AutowerxDetailing
10-02-2015, 10:46 PM
Silica coatings like CQuartz offer amazing protection against water spots. They will still get mineral deposits if hard water is left to dry on the surface; however, they typically wash off easily and tend not to etch as badly as unprotected paint. There are also chemicals to remove non etched water spots like CarPro Spotless. Since it is an acid based mineral remover it will also remove wax and sealants but if your car is coated it will not harm the coating.

abdi270
10-02-2015, 11:28 PM
Nicholas@Autowerx, thanks for your fast reply

The paint sealants that i am using now, they can not hold on long enough during hot days. The mineral deposits were little bit hard to wipe off.
I was thinking a stronger sealants.

Never use silica or ceramic coatings before. But i ll make a try

frankprozzoly
10-03-2015, 05:10 AM
Is it better to just deal with the spots and give a quick polish once or twice a year or use a water spot removal that will force you to reapply the lsp everytime

Natron
10-03-2015, 07:31 AM
I agree with frankprozzoly. I like Meguiars 21 synthetic sealant, but I have tried only a few. Maybe detail 3 or 4 times a year if spotting is bad. Oh, and to answer your question, none are water spot proof that I know of.

GSKR
10-03-2015, 10:03 AM
Or ur a car fanatic and don't mind waxing ur car 5 times a year double coat collinite wax ,I would agree to coating but u stated that u never did it before,with all the hot and humidity there it's not the environment to do it unless you have ac in you're garage ,and knowledge of prepping car for it ,it can pose promblems if you don't what your doing good luck

GSKR
10-03-2015, 10:11 AM
I'm sure at some point using strong cleaners will eventually breakdown the coating over time,I suggested if he is not lazy ,keep it topped with collinite years back in south fla where sprinkler water is like acid ,I was taking care of a s430 and every 3 months I would apply collinite with no etching promblems and this was before the coating were even introduced into the market

abdi270
10-03-2015, 06:55 PM
frankprozzoly , natron , gskr thanks a lot for your replies.
Actually i like waxing my car but sometimes got upset when hard water spots appeared and not easy to remove. I thought maybe there are paint sealants in the market that have strong resistance preventing hard water spots from sticking stubbornly.

Ebg18t
10-03-2015, 07:24 PM
Something like CQUK or the BF Coating will have good chemical resistance and allow hard water spots to be fairly easily removed (even if a chemical is needed).

FUNX650
10-03-2015, 09:23 PM
To me...it makes sense that the sooner that
water leaves the vehicle's surfaces...the less
chance there is for any water-spotting.

With that in mind:
Sounds like you need a product that won't
cause a whole lot of "water retention" caused
by/from a whole bunch of water-beading.

Instead...IMO:
-You'll want a product that'll "sheet" water.

-Meguiars Gold Class Carnauba Plus Premium
Car Wax is one such product that's specifically
formulated to "sheet" water.
Meguiars Gold Class (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-gold-class.html)

Bob

Ricorocks
10-03-2015, 10:07 PM
For Glass this may help:

Chemical Guys - Water Spot Rx Hard Water Spot Remover for Glass and Windows (16 oz) (http://www.chemicalguys.com/Water_Spot_Rx_Hard_Water_Spot_Remover_16_oz_p/spi_886_16.htm)

I do not believe this product is intended for painted surfaces. Read label if interested.

abdi270
10-04-2015, 12:54 AM
Ebg18t, FUNX650, Ricorocks thanks I appreciate your advices.

Apparently i need product that slides water easily and strong enough to prevent from etchings. Glass coating will be fine. Though i will have someone to apply it on the paint surfaces.

But paint sealants are easier to maintain than coatings, aren't they?

AutowerxDetailing
10-04-2015, 01:18 AM
But paint sealants are easier to maintain than coatings, aren't they?

I would say that coatings, in general, are the easiest to maintain... mostly because you don't need to keep re-applying them every few months for optimal protection as you do with a wax or sealant.

There are different care routines though. It really just boils down to how you want to maintain your vehicle. Do you want to clay, polish, and apply wax or sealant multiple times per year? How much time do you really want to spend keeping your car looking nice? Or, would you rather get the paint looking great, then lock in the perfection with a coating, and then carefully maintain the coated paintwork to your standard of perfection with routine washing?

To cure your problem of water spots you would need to do one of the following:

1. Never expose your vehicle to hard water (don't drive it... like, ever.)

2. Frequently clay, polish, and wax the vehicle. Diminishing the clear coat thickness with each session... which further wears down the dense, harder, outer clear coat layer... which causes the paint to be more susceptible to water spotting in the future.

3. Coat it. Then use chemical mineral removers when/if water spots occur (which won't remove the coating).

asalesagent912
10-04-2015, 09:01 AM
In my opinion the key to not haveing water spots is freequent washes.
I have a coating on mine and my daughters car. I wash my car as soon as it rains or gets dirty,at least once a week. I have 0 water spots after a year and a half after the coating was applied. on the other hand my daughter doesn't wash her car to often and she has water spots all over her hood. I also clayed, polished and put a good sealant on my sons car.
he also don't clean to often and he has water spots too. So in my opinion it dont matter what you apply on the car the key is to keeping it clean to maintain what you put on it.

abdi270
10-04-2015, 10:41 AM
Nicholas@autowerx thanks for your thorough explaination. coatings are hard to beat ��

asalesagent912.according to your opinion maybe i should take immediate treatment once the water spots appeared. During hot days i will put water spot remover, quick detailer in the car.

Thanks all for your advices