PDA

View Full Version : Orange peel Wet sanding

frankprozzoly
10-02-2015, 05:24 PM
I watched a video of removing orange peel on a factory vw bug. They started with 1k then 2500 then mf pad then polishing foam pad. I wonder how much factory clear was removed. I've asked about this before and was told this is usually just done on a show car that has a lot of clear. Sure would look good if you could do it

dennis hiip
10-02-2015, 05:49 PM
I also would like to know. I recently purchased a Mercedes C350. It has orange peel. Sorta disappointed in Mercedes quality control.

Rsurfer
10-02-2015, 05:57 PM
It can be done, but imo it's not worth thinning out your paint.

If it was a garage queen/show car it might be worth the effort.

frankprozzoly
10-02-2015, 06:05 PM
It can be done, but imo it's not worth thinning out your paint.

If it was a garage queen/show car it might be worth the effort.

I know it's not worth it on a daily driver but one can dream. It looks unbelievable when done. I might buy some parts at the junk yard just to try and learn how to do it

Rsurfer
10-02-2015, 06:14 PM
I know it's not worth it on a daily driver but one can dream. It looks unbelievable when done. I might buy some parts at the junk yard just to try and learn how to do it

Mike P has a good thread on wet sanding OEM paint with a DA.

DieryEuroSpec
10-02-2015, 06:30 PM
Mike's thread is EXCELLENT, however getting orange peel out or wet sanding anything is nothing a novice should under take. Mike makes it look easy if you want to do it DIY, find a panel from a junk yard or a diffferent car in your fleeet)

FUNX650
10-02-2015, 08:55 PM
I know it's not worth it on a daily driver but one can dream.
It looks unbelievable when done.
But then:
With all of the potentially nefarious mishmash of
pollutants and contaminates that's out there in the
World, just waiting to crap on your parade...could
you, Nay, would you: chance to ever drive it again?

Bob

Jomax
10-02-2015, 10:41 PM
But then:
With all of the potentially nefarious mishmash of
pollutants and contaminates that's out there in the
World, just waiting to crap on your parade...could
you, Nay, would you: chance to ever drive it again?

Bob

I've missed your posts Bob, never a dull one lol.

geekdout
10-02-2015, 11:08 PM
If you do ever attempt something like that just make sure the orange peel is in the top layer that you are removing. It is possible that the orange peel can be in the color layer.

builthatch
10-02-2015, 11:26 PM
If you do ever attempt something like that just make sure the orange peel is in the top layer that you are removing. It is possible that the orange peel can be in the color layer.

test spots are crucial.

OP, a paint gauge is necessary to dictate how much paint is being removed for a given leveling effect. every car is different.

i think a sensible approach for a car with factory paint is to be armed with a paint depth gauge and look into demin or velvet pads, depending on the situation.

a reduction in peel will help improve DOI (distinctness of image, in other words, the resolution of a reflection on the painted surface) and ultimately, that should be what you're after on a car with factory paint.

Natron
10-03-2015, 07:53 AM
It is fun to dream. I always feel very uncomfortable when people are sanding newer factory paint. Especially without a gauge. We have gone through many times just removing defects. For myself, I accept the orange peel. If I get something I love with thick paint, that will be another story. Nathan. Keep in mind that just by caring for our cars properly and doing more than the (monthly automatic car wash) your car probably already looks better than 90% of our neighbors cars. If we did remove the orange peel, only a few of us would see it anyway.

GSKR
10-03-2015, 09:55 AM
Not happy with the finish bring it back to the dealer let them deal with it.and get ever repair documented ,why should I have to slave over a 40 k car .

AGOatemywallet
10-04-2015, 12:31 AM
Not happy with the finish bring it back to the dealer let them deal with it.and get ever repair documented ,why should I have to slave over a 40 k car .

Have you actually done this?

What kind of car was it?

What do the dealer do to correct the issue?