PDA

View Full Version : Sharpie out of Leather?

Pages : [1] 2

67Customs
09-21-2007, 11:14 AM
I am detailing a Land Rover tomorrow and the owner warned me that her young son had marked on the leather seat with a Sharpie pen. The dealer could not remove it (go figure) but they said they knew a guy who could. So apparently, it can be done.
I have only removed pen marks out of leather. I have never ran accross Sharpie marks since I began detailing. Call it luck I guess. For you guys that have ran accross this, what did you use?

Leather cleaner/conditioner has always removed pen marks for me, but I don't know if it will tackle Sharpie.

Suggestions?

scottgt
09-21-2007, 11:51 AM
try a leather cleaner of course first..or an apc...and scrub with a tooth brush or something in that small spot

Ong~Bak
09-21-2007, 12:04 PM
I think your best bet is to go with what the Sharpie
site recommends - AMODEX STAIN REMOVER.

Also I have used ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL avoid anything with acetone
and always test for color fastness first ...

:cheers:

Jimmie
09-21-2007, 12:11 PM
Doesn't make any sense sometimes. I've gotten a stain out and the one right next to will be stubborn as can be. Leather cleaner and brush (occassionally a scrub pad) works on most.
Sharpie seems to think "Amodex" stain remover is the best. You probably don't have time to order any ($10).
Here are some things that might work but also might change/remove color. Alcohol, Magic Eraser, nail polish remover, hair spray.

da1nonlychino
09-21-2007, 12:17 PM
i would go for the magic eraser.. that is a miracle stain remover, just get the extra strength one.

trlblazer3
09-21-2007, 12:46 PM
I would try a Magic Eraser if the leather cleaner does not work. Just be careful and look out for color-fastness.

67Customs
09-21-2007, 04:32 PM
Here are some things that might work but also might change/remove color. Alcohol, Magic Eraser, nail polish remover, hair spray.Yeah, those were the first things I considered, but I was also afraid of them changing the color. That is the last thing I want.

No matter what I will test it in a hidden area first. I really hope the leather cleaner has enough in it to dissolve the Sharpie. THat would be great. Next would be APC or Woolite and then I will start getting a littl emore agressive, but I'm not going to take it to far. She can take it to the guy that the Rover people know.

Thanks for the help guys.

scottgt
09-21-2007, 04:35 PM
good luck

richy
09-21-2007, 04:56 PM
i would go for the magic eraser.. that is a miracle stain remover, just get the extra strength one.

I have read posts where it's not recommended due to discolouration...be very careful. I think I'd rather return it in the same condition rather than a discolouration mark.

gary26
09-21-2007, 11:41 PM
You might want to go to the Leathrique site. They have a help line, email contact, and about a 24 page outline about how to clean Leather. I hope this helps.

Pauly6401
09-22-2007, 09:53 AM
I would also recommend that you tell her to get rid of her kid - I know that if one of my kids was writing on my car with a Sharpie he wouldn't have much longer to live!

Let us know what you find out, if anything works!

NEC
09-22-2007, 06:17 PM
I've used isopropyl alcohol mixed with some leather cleaner on cars. Just test an inconspicuous spot like under the seat first.

joe.p
09-22-2007, 06:26 PM
i would give woolite a shot with a short nap MF..the shorter nap might have a more of a bite....IMHO....if removing the ink from the leather might cause more harm then good i would gracefuly conceide..

67Customs
09-24-2007, 01:43 PM
Well, I have good news. And no, I didn't save on my insurance by switching to Geico...

It wasn't a Sharpie mark. It was a regular gel ink pen (which I found under the seat while detailing) and the ink came out with Stoners Invisible Glass. I got all worked up for nothing.

I'll know for next time though. It may also help people that search. Thanks guys.:cheers:

richy
09-24-2007, 02:55 PM
Well, I have good news. And no, I didn't save on my insurance by switching to Geico...

It wasn't a Sharpie mark. It was a regular gel ink pen (which I found under the seat while detailing) and the ink came out with Stoners Invisible Glass. I got all worked up for nothing.

I'll know for next time though. It may also help people that search. Thanks guys.:cheers:

No sh*t..I would not have thought to use that. Good for you!!