PDA

View Full Version : 3" companion for a G15

Pages : [1] 2

gp99
10-02-2015, 01:11 PM
First: is it possible to get a 3" backing plate for the G15? Does that mess up the counterbalance weight?

If not, is the standard GG 3" polisher my best bet. I just need something for bumpers and pillars, but not looking to spend another $300+ on something like the Rupes mini.

Legacykid
10-02-2015, 01:43 PM
I use my gg6 with a 4in pad. works well for me. My gg3 never seemed to get me any where without a lot of work.

Some people have luck and like it though.

haris300
10-02-2015, 01:55 PM
I use my gg6 with a 4in pad. works well for me. My gg3 never seemed to get me any where without a lot of work.

I do the same with my gg6 but with a 3 inch pad. Works great. I keep my Flex 3401 equipped with the 4 inch Lake Country backing plate so I can use any 4 inch pads and 5 inch Lake Country Hybrids.

Rsurfer
10-02-2015, 01:56 PM

:iagree:But I don't think the GG3 has enough power to correct swirls. You can even use a 3" pad on the GG6 though a little tippy.

Joe@NextLevelDetail
10-02-2015, 02:03 PM
Be careful if you use a gg6 PC or HF da with a 3 inch pads. They don't oscillate too much like normal. And create excess heat. So always be careful feel the panel to see how to panel is accepting it.

Justin at Final Inspection
10-02-2015, 02:24 PM
Honestly I know you don't want to spend a bunch of money but the Flex PE8 Kompakt rotary with the 1,2 and 3in pads is almost a must have. One of the best investments I have ever made. I have a GG 3in that barely sees the light of day. Only for waxing every so often.

custmsprty
10-02-2015, 03:29 PM
Be careful if you use a gg6 PC or HF da with a 3 inch pads. They don't oscillate too much like normal. And create excess heat. So always be careful feel the panel to see how to panel is accepting it.

:iagree: and the excess heat urns up pads fast!

ski2
10-02-2015, 03:33 PM

I agree with this and that it is a little tippy. I have a G15 and equiped my GG6 with a 3.5" backing plate and 4" pads and it works out great.

65vw
10-02-2015, 03:47 PM
I have a Flex 3401 and I recently got a GG 3" to do all the small hard to reach spots.

I like the GG 3" and it seems to work very well for polishing the hard to get areas.

As far as corrections, the GG did not do as much correction as the forced flex.

But the GG 3" did make a big improvement in the areas the 6" flex could not get to.

If I were more brave or had more experience I might try the flex 1,2,3" rotary mentioned in the other post.

FUNX650
10-02-2015, 03:54 PM
...is the standard GG 3" polisher my best bet. I just need something for bumpers and pillars, but not looking to spend another $300+ on something like the Rupes mini.
I like the below "good examples"...
for owning the GG-3":

Here's how I use it.

Machine sanding thin panels and around edges.
Will be showing this at my wetsanding class this weekend.

Machine waxing.
Slap a Rupes 4" white ultra soft finishing pad on this baby and you'll never find an easier tool to use to machine wax.

Headlight sanding -
I'll be showing this multiple times this weekend at my headlight restoration class.

Machine correcting and polishing.
Just get some RUPES blue coarse foam cutting pads and unlock this tools potential. (Google: Mind Blowing RUPES BLUE PAD MIKE PHILLIPS)

:dblthumb2:

Bob

Legacykid
10-02-2015, 10:31 PM
:iagree:But I don't think the GG3 has enough power to correct swirls. You can even use a 3" pad on the GG6 though a little tippy.

I have since given up on my gg3 and use it on interiors with a bush attachment. I used 3in LC hydro tech pads and they were terrible. The pad and backing part would always come apart. So now I only use 4in pads and love them for versatility and have no trouble beating them up and they last (LC ccs pads)

I'm only a part timer ay this point and have not needed a smaller pad. But in the future I want a rupes mini for such cases unless the boss system creates a smaller one to compete.

Legacykid
10-02-2015, 10:35 PM

Funny I use my 3in pads now with 3in plate on my gg6 for headlight resto. It's terrible but for a quick shot it does as needed. Wouldn't personally attempt on paint.

FinishingTouchA
10-02-2015, 11:45 PM
From a professional standpoint, the gg3 is one of the worst machines I've ever used. Honestly I'd rather use an old cut up pad and polish small areas by hand. But since I have a Rupes Mini and a Flex with the 4" BP I let my machines do the work.

Joe@NextLevelDetail
10-03-2015, 12:52 AM
From a professional standpoint, the gg3 is one of the worst machines I've ever used. Honestly I'd rather use an old cut up pad and polish small areas by hand. But since I have a Rupes Mini and a Flex with the 4" BP I let my machines do the work.

How do you like the rupes mini?

I want one so bad , however the 300 is a tough pill to swallow being that it's a machine that'd very vitale during a correction however your not going to use it as much. As the primary machine.

Is it worth it any flaws pros cons.

Thanks

Rsurfer
10-03-2015, 07:13 AM
How do you like the rupes mini?

I want one so bad , however the 300 is a tough pill to swallow being that it's a machine that'd very vitale during a correction however your not going to use it as much. As the primary machine.

Is it worth it any flaws pros cons.

Thanks

Get it, you won't regret it. Recently did a two step with the Mini.