PDA

View Full Version : Rupes UHS vs. the Blue, Green, Yellow, White Cap Chemicals

lj993
10-02-2015, 12:54 AM
i have used the Rupes UHS on several of our vehicles. In fact, I used it with very positive results on our Black Porsche 993. A buddy has a 2001 BMW 5 Series, also in Black. He brought it up tonight for a quick detail. We decided to go with the UHS and corresponding pad. After doing the hood, which turned out looking pretty good, I decided to use the full Rupes rainbow of chemicals and pads to see if there was a difference. We used both a Rupes 21 and a Flex 3401. I have to say that on the BMW paint, the variety pack of blue, green, yellow and white pads and chemicals finished with a deeper richer wetter finish that just using the Rupes UHS. The car finished with no swirls or other marks. As the BMW is a 14 year-old car, there were some pits and deep scratches that we didn't take out, I was concerned on the depth of the paint. We finished the car with some chemical guys better butter wetter, or whatever they call it. I was tempted to pull out my unopened 8 oz. jar of Fuzion Wax that I got during the $50 sale a few weeks back, but then decided that I would hang on to it and save it for the 993. It looked great, my buddy was thrilled, I need to take some photos and post them up. The UHS is great and much faster start to finish but on a Black car, I don't think that it can match the full Rupes line of chemicals and pads.

We also polished out the headlights that were getting a bit faded. I have a 4 inch backing plate on a Porter Cable 7424 xp and a number of 4 inch pads, makes for quick work on the low profile headlights on the BMW. We used an orange pad and Optima Spray compound and a white pad with the Optima Spray Polish. They turned out good, not great. There was some real fading that just didn't clean up. I really needed to hit it with some 1500 and then 2500 wet sand paper and then compound and polish, nevertheless, the car turned out great and was easily a 9 out of 10, the owner thought it was closer to an 11! Having the assortment of tools, pads and chemicals gives some great options, sometimes too many!

AGOatemywallet
10-02-2015, 11:31 AM
Before & After pics will tell the story much better. Looking forward to seeing them

When comparing UHS to the 3-Step process; were you doing a quick IPA/Eraser wipedown to remove polishing oils and reveal the actual level of defect removal? Some AIO's fill quite a bit.

I get very good results on moderately oxidized headlights with Meg's 3" MF Cutting Pads and any compound on my old PC

Zubair
10-09-2015, 02:04 AM
I find Rupes Zephir Blue or Quarz Green to cut better than UHS and Keramik Yellow to finish better than UHS too. I have used it on many types and colour paints.