PDA

View Full Version : Opti-Coat

SilverRings
09-30-2015, 02:16 PM
Hello. I just purchased a 4 year old car with an Opti-Coat on it. It still is working very well.

What are the Do's and Don'ts of caring for a car with this coat?

Obviously normal washing is fine. Should you wax over it at all? Should you clay over it, or will that reduce the life of the Opti-Coat?

Thanks.

Souldetailer
09-30-2015, 02:32 PM
Hello. I just purchased a 4 year old car with an Opti-Coat on it. It still is working very well.

Obviously normal washing is fine. Should you wax over it at all? Should you clay over it, or will that reduce the life of the Opti-Coat?

Thanks.

Wash is totally fine. Use a good gentle detergent. When you're ready to hit the paint again, use a more aggressive cleanser.

Peace,

Darrin

GSKR
09-30-2015, 02:37 PM
I highly doubt it,unless it was a garage queen,for washing very very little soap and no dwell time,soap it rinse it.as far as clay only you will know try the Baggie test .If you are not a installer of coatings ,either pay to reapply or wax it every three months ,hope this helps.

Crispy
10-28-2015, 09:11 PM
I have had Opti Coat 2.0 on for over 2 years and still works. You can put whatever you want on top bit most stuff doesn't stick so waste of time. If you want to remove you have to abraid it off (compound).

builthatch
10-28-2015, 09:22 PM

Thanks.

OP, i have two cars with Opti-Coat. one is outside all the time, one isn't.

i don't know where you live or what the car is exposed to, so it's hard to give you something concrete.

but, if you at some point find the coating isn't behaving the way it was, you can do decons with Ferrex or Carpro Iron-X, remove water spots with MDR or even light polishing with Poli-Seal will freshen the coating.

periodic washes with Power Clean and Carpro Reset can help clean the coating too.

if you like a super duper slick finish, you can do a few things. Gloss-Coat will last the longest. you can wipe on Opti-Seal when it's freshly cleaned and that will make it slick...but it won't last very long.

the easiest solution is to wipe it down after washing (or even during drying) with Optimum Instant Detailer. currently i'm running a mix of Opti-Clean and OID for the exterior. i love it. Opti-Clean is a waterless wash so it's like a super safe instant detailer...and OID is incredibly slick. crazy slick.

there are tons of options here. but waxing isn't beneficial. you can clay along with the other decon techniques i mentioned but it might not be necessary.

SilverRings
10-29-2015, 07:43 PM
OP, i have two cars with Opti-Coat. one is outside all the time, one isn't.

i don't know where you live or what the car is exposed to, so it's hard to give you something concrete.

but, if you at some point find the coating isn't behaving the way it was, you can do decons with Ferrex or Carpro Iron-X, remove water spots with MDR or even light polishing with Poli-Seal will freshen the coating.

periodic washes with Power Clean and Carpro Reset can help clean the coating too.

if you like a super duper slick finish, you can do a few things. Gloss-Coat will last the longest. you can wipe on Opti-Seal when it's freshly cleaned and that will make it slick...but it won't last very long.

the easiest solution is to wipe it down after washing (or even during drying) with Optimum Instant Detailer. currently i'm running a mix of Opti-Clean and OID for the exterior. i love it. Opti-Clean is a waterless wash so it's like a super safe instant detailer...and OID is incredibly slick. crazy slick.

there are tons of options here. but waxing isn't beneficial. you can clay along with the other decon techniques i mentioned but it might not be necessary.

Thanks, very helpful post. If I choose to decon with the products you listed, should I just follow those instructions. Or do I need to do something special with the products for the Opti-Coat? Wouldn't want to degrade the coat with any of those products.