PDA

View Full Version : Clay bar for new paint job?

prr
09-30-2015, 11:18 AM
I got my 98 Civic painted by Maaco early this month (separate clear/base, 5 yr warranty job). It looks very sharp (new metallic paint usually looks better than old paint that is peeling). I eagerly look forward to waxing it for the first time next week.

My question is: should I use a clay bar on it, before I put on the first layer of wax on this new paint? I have washed it once already, and will of course wash it again before I wax it. There are no visible contaminants; every few days I look it over and rub off any bug juice, etc. Would a clay bar be more likely to take off good protection, than any miniscule bits of dirt? FWIW, I will be using Colllinite 845, which I heard about on this forum, so thanks for letting me know about that.

Setec Astronomy
09-30-2015, 11:22 AM
Since this car hasn't been "in transit" I would say you can skip the claying, unless you feel it has overspray on it from the shop.

Mike Phillips
09-30-2015, 11:27 AM
The MOST common place for a car to get overspray paint is at a body shop.

Not just when they are painting your car as it can happen any time they are painting anything. Not all painting takes place inside the paint booth either. Sometimes old Joe sprays some primer on a fender in the shop.

Wind carries the overspray everywhere.

Do the baggies test. Feel the paint, the glass and anything that's smooth.

The Baggie Test - How to inspect for above surface bonded contaminants (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/27967-baggie-test-how-inspect-above-surface-bonded-contaminants.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/858/PaintCleaningByHand022.jpg

I could pull up one article after another that I've written showing new paint jobs with overspray on them.

So simply test.... and be sure to wipe the paint clean using a spray detailer and a clean, soft microfiber towel and then feel the paint LIGHTLY with the baggie so you don't put scratches in while testing.

:)

prr
09-30-2015, 11:28 AM
No overspray that I can see, apart from a thin strip of paint on my side view mirror. I'll get that soon.

prr
09-30-2015, 11:31 AM
I didn't realize what you two meant by overspray. OK now I see.

I will do the baggie test and use a clay bar if needed, before washing and waxing.

As long as I know that this won't take off helpful layers from a new paint job.

Thanks.

FUNX650
09-30-2015, 11:41 AM
Instead of claying; and before first applying
any dedicated LSP (Last Step Product) to this
particular paint job...

I would use either of the following two products;
(AFAIC: They contain just the right amount
of any necessary "abrasives/cleaners"):

•3M Imperial Hand Glaze
3M Imperial Hand Glaze is a gentle moisturizer, especially for beautifying freshly painted surfaces! (http://www.autogeek.net/3mimhanglaz.html)
•Meguiar's M305
Meguiars M305 Ultra Finishing Durable Glaze 16 oz. (http://www.autogeek.net/megiuars-m305-16.html)

I would then follow-up with
my preferred choice of LSP.
(Your stated choice: Collinite #845,
will work just fine, IMHO.)

Bob

jms493
09-30-2015, 02:09 PM
Shouldn't you wait a few months before applying any product on a freshly painted car?

GSKR
09-30-2015, 02:19 PM
You are 1 out of 10 people that doesn't have overspray ,especially from a place that is overspray city.just clay to be sure .

prr
09-30-2015, 02:19 PM
Shouldn't you wait a few months before applying any product on a freshly painted car?

The folks at Maaco said to wait only 30 days for wax.

I honestly don't know for sure what is the best time frame to wait, but I'm inclined to follow their recommendation.

prr
09-30-2015, 02:21 PM
You are 1 out of 10 people that doesn't have overspray ,especially from a place that is overspray city.just clay to be sure .

Oh I definitely will clay, now that I know that it won't hurt the paint.

Busy mind
09-30-2015, 02:46 PM
Oh I definitely will clay, now that I know that it won't hurt the paint.

The clay process just removes surface contaminants. You're not removing layers of paint. Depending on the condition of the paint, pick out a clay bar that matches your needs. For newer paint, I often get away with using a fine grade. Use plenty of lubrication when claying.

oldmodman
10-01-2015, 10:34 PM
Could you put up some pics of the new paint job?

I have never seen a "good" paint job come out of Maaco. I've seen some that will even pass the 10 foot test but that's about it.

And did they hit you with any extra, last second charges? My neighbor got his old POS painted by them and It's certainly better than what was on there before.

At least we no longer nickname it "Flaky" :eek:

prr
10-02-2015, 06:40 AM
I uploaded the pics as attachments. Unfortunately, even viewing the pics at 100% on my computer, the metallic glimmer was not seen, so believe me the paint does look nicer than this. But you can at least see how they did it. I was pleasantly surprised after reading some negative reviews.

And no, no last second charges. The bill was exactly what they told me it was when I dropped it off.

Since you brought it up, I was told to go to a "certified" Maaco (which this one was)--not all Maaco centers are certified. Also, I went for the 5 yr warranty. I was told that many of the folks who complain do the $300 paint job with no prep and no clear coat, and then compain when it peels after 6 months.

If you had seen the car before (the clear and base were both peeling horribly on the top, hood, and driver side) you would have said this was a miracle. :) Now my kids are no longer embarrassed to be seen in it. Come to think of it, neither am I.