PDA

View Full Version : Apply Wet Diamond without proper prep

mdreibelbis
09-30-2015, 06:32 AM
Good Morning,

I'm curious - how much protection will I lose if I simply give my car a good washing with a strong solution of Chemical Guys Citrus Wash then apply Wet Diamond without any further prep?

What say you?

Setec Astronomy
09-30-2015, 06:56 AM
Better than nothing.

zmcgovern45
09-30-2015, 07:38 AM
No big deal at all... that is the beauty of a traditional wax or sealant. You don't have to clay and polish before applying every time.

-Zach

FUNX650
09-30-2015, 09:58 AM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/image39.jpeg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/100187)

:D

Bob

Paul A.
09-30-2015, 11:31 AM
I'm with Setec...can't hurt and certainly better than not putting anything on.

I had a neighbor recently ask me if i could "help" him wax his car. Sure. The problem for me was that i couldn't talk him into either my services OR doing anything more than a wash and a wax. The only thing i was able to talk him into was to ditch whatever crap he bought at the local auto parts store for "wax" and let me lay down some Blackfire. He was still hell bent on using his dish soap because "dangit, that's what his father and brother did!". Ok. No problem. With someone like this i will make a less than energetic attempt to change their mind...they'll still insist their way is better and thats that.

His request included him doing the work and me simply "helping". We washed his truck (brand spanky new metallic F-150 Lariat, BLACK!), dried with my MF towels and we were ready to go. At this point i was able to convince him to let me wipe it down with some CarPro Eraser and thus my point here. I wanted to clean the paint just a smidge more if its only a wash and wax, especially with sealants. I like Eraser but if i didn't have it i would use iso alcohol. Just to insure the sealant has raw and exposed paint to bond with. Takes minimal time too.

Kamakaz1961
09-30-2015, 12:36 PM
Well better than not having any protection at all. If you wanted to spend a little more time..try claying it and then putting on the LSP. But if time constraints or external variables keep you from doing a great job that is understandable.

GSKR
09-30-2015, 01:53 PM
Stuff is great underrated so slick ,the first thing customer do before they pay is feel the finish,u can buff and buff and apply a wax which has a drag feel,they will say did u wax it .

mdreibelbis
10-01-2015, 07:18 AM
I'm with Setec...can't hurt and certainly better than not putting anything on.

I wanted to clean the paint just a smidge more if its only a wash and wax, especially with sealants. I like Eraser but if i didn't have it i would use iso alcohol. Just to insure the sealant has raw and exposed paint to bond with. Takes minimal time too.

Thanks much - very helpful.

I just don't have the time to clay/polish right now (I always feel like I have to polish after a go round with the clay) but I like the idea of a quick wipe down after the citus wash red (which is supposed to do a decent job of cleaning off old layers of sealant/wax too - no?) with the CarPro Eraser.

Cheers!