PDA

View Full Version : Paint issues with my Subaru XV

fogus
09-27-2015, 10:40 PM
I've had this car for about a year, and I put 34k miles on it. I want to get it clean and bare and then protect by applying a sealant.

Here's my issue: I'm not sure what all to do. I've got baked in bugs, rust (dripped down on the car I think), iron spots, and other gunk. It doesn't come off in a machine wash--tried that a few times.

I'm planning on doing my own wash with a foam gun and MF towels, then using iron-out, then using clay. Is that a bad plan?

Hokie335i
09-27-2015, 11:04 PM
Sounds like a good plan to me. Tarminator (or similar product) will help with the bugs and such. Iron-X or similar product will help with the iron spots.

AnthonyGXP
09-27-2015, 11:13 PM
Make certain you allow enough dwell time for the Iron X!

LSNAutoDetailing
09-28-2015, 07:03 AM
Also allow dwell time with the Tarminator. Depending on temp - weather conditions, I will let dwell for about 10 min. The longer it dwells the better it works.

Do you plan on doing any paint correction?

fogus
09-28-2015, 05:08 PM
Also allow dwell time with the Tarminator. Depending on temp - weather conditions, I will let dwell for about 10 min. The longer it dwells the better it works.

Do you plan on doing any paint correction?
As in actual polishing? I don't have a polisher yet and I have too much to learn before I do any. I'm planning on just disinfecting and then coating. By spring, I'll do a correction because I'll have learned enough. That's the plan anyway.

fogus
09-28-2015, 05:12 PM
Sounds like a good plan to me. Tarminator (or similar product) will help with the bugs and such. Iron-X or similar product will help with the iron spots.
Thanks!

What should I do about scratches in the painted plastic? I think some rocks hit my front bumper in a few places. I think one of my photos shows the issue: second to last one, the scratch is to the right horizontally and centered vertically. It has raised plastic coming out of the scratch where it was sort of peeled back by the impact. I'd probably need a polisher for this (after wet sanding), right?

What do you think about Turtle Wax bug and tar recover? Fine alternative?

Hokie335i
09-28-2015, 05:15 PM
Thanks!

What should I do about scratches in the painted plastic? I think some rocks hit my front bumper in a few places. I think one of my photos shows the issue.

What do you think about Turtle Wax bug and tar recover? Fine alternative?

Personally I like terminator. I've had great luck with it! I've never used turtle wax

GSKR
09-28-2015, 05:55 PM
Good plan terminator is weak deosnt even do what it's intended for.its a retail dummy proof product out of the stoners line the glass cleaner is the best for being mobile .Go to Walmart and get a bottle of fantastic if ur limited wet the front spray on front bumper,don't spray on a unpainted grill it will etch it .if using a hose try the eraser then rinse .