PDA

View Full Version : Gtechniq C4 issues.

Pages : [1] 2

bigbadbp7
09-27-2015, 09:15 PM
I been having a terrible problem with a Honda Element. The lower trim of the car came out VERY blotchy and streaky. I did a really good prep trust me. So I went to recoat again and the SAME PROBLEM. The top trim is beautiful! So I have done another prep and reapplied the coating.

I feel like I am going to be married to this car. Is there any way I can remove the coating? Could I put Dlux over it and will it help out the issue? I have applied it flawlessly on my Fathers vehicles trim no problems at all. I am just to disappointed for doing work for free.

I want to bang my head against the wall lol Feed back please

GSKR
09-27-2015, 10:59 PM
I stick with dummy proof super easy coatings ,black fire ,Americana gloss coat.I find g tech to expensive and finicky to work with

Rsurfer
09-28-2015, 01:38 AM
I've tried apc, alcohol, acetone, lacquer thinner, paint thinner and nothing would remove C4.

AnthonyGXP
09-28-2015, 01:51 AM
Removal of C4 will require an abrasive polish/compound to remove.

kevincwelch
09-28-2015, 12:21 PM
My n=1 experience with C4 was enough to direct me away from it again. I've found DLUX much easier to apply and is more durable.

gtechrob
09-28-2015, 12:35 PM
I been having a terrible problem with a Honda Element. The lower trim of the car came out VERY blotchy and streaky. I did a really good prep trust me. So I went to recoat again and the SAME PROBLEM. The top trim is beautiful! So I have done another prep and reapplied the coating.

I feel like I am going to be married to this car. Is there any way I can remove the coating? Could I put Dlux over it and will it help out the issue? I have applied it flawlessly on my Fathers vehicles trim no problems at all. I am just to disappointed for doing work for free.

I want to bang my head against the wall lol Feed back please

by blotchy do you mean there are white marks? if so that is excess product that has crystallised.

to remove you can do this by scrubbing with a medium brush and strong apc solution.

builthatch
09-28-2015, 12:42 PM
My n=1 experience with C4 was enough to direct me away from it again. I've found DLUX much easier to apply and is more durable.

Dlux comes of with an alkaline APC and elbow grease. it's more durable than C4? that is surprising information.

Setec Astronomy
09-28-2015, 12:50 PM
by blotchy do you mean there are white marks? if so that is excess product that has crystallised.

to remove you can do this by scrubbing with a medium brush and strong apc solution.

Hey Rob, since we've got you in this thread, some of us have experienced that C4 does a great job of restoring, say, windshield cowlings, and then over time it fades, but another application of C4 doesn't seem to restore it again...is there some C4 residue that needs to be removed by the method you mention above?

gtechrob
09-28-2015, 12:57 PM
Hey Rob, since we've got you in this thread, some of us have experienced that C4 does a great job of restoring, say, windshield cowlings, and then over time it fades, but another application of C4 doesn't seem to restore it again...is there some C4 residue that needs to be removed by the method you mention above?

not something I have seen over this side of the pond. the only trim we have had a common issue with is on renaults but other than excess product which can turn into a white powder (it's a quartz product) or trim that is too faded to restore (easiest test is to wipe over with a damp mf cloth - if the colour looks right c4 will work), we have very few issues.

if you have some pics I can take a look - send to technical at gtechniq dot com

Setec Astronomy
09-28-2015, 01:21 PM
not something I have seen over this side of the pond. the only trim we have had a common issue with is on renaults but other than excess product which can turn into a white powder (it's a quartz product) or trim that is too faded to restore (easiest test is to wipe over with a damp mf cloth - if the colour looks right c4 will work), we have very few issues.

if you have some pics I can take a look - send to technical at gtechniq dot com

I don't know if I have any good pictures really, I'll have to check, but I did start this thread last year http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/83098-silvering-c4.html and it doesn't seem like I'm the only one that has had this problem.

It does depend on the surface, the vehicle I mention in that thread that had another piece of trim going strong still looks great a year later (3 years total).

Rsurfer
09-28-2015, 01:53 PM
Removal of C4 will require an abrasive polish/compound to remove.

How do you polish/compound porous plastic trim? How can the compound and pad reach the bottom of the pores?

kevincwelch
09-28-2015, 01:55 PM
Dlux comes of with an alkaline APC and elbow grease. it's more durable than C4? that is surprising information.
Like I said: my n=1. When I properly prepped my trim with wash, APC and panel wipe, c4 lasted only a couple of months. DLUX has lasted through an entire winter on all three of my cars. C4 looked great; it just didn't last for me.

gtechrob
09-28-2015, 03:04 PM
I don't know if I have any good pictures really, I'll have to check, but I did start this thread last year http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/83098-silvering-c4.html and it doesn't seem like I'm the only one that has had this problem.

It does depend on the surface, the vehicle I mention in that thread that had another piece of trim going strong still looks great a year later (3 years total).

c4 is an optically clear coating but the same way ice goes white when there is air under it in a pond, for eg, the same would hold true here. this looks to be that the c4 has either not bonded correctly with the substrate or that there is too much product on the surface which has then crystallised.

you will need to remove the coating using the method I listed above and reapply making 100% sure that you remove all residue.

Setec Astronomy
09-28-2015, 03:35 PM
c4 is an optically clear coating but the same way ice goes white when there is air under it in a pond, for eg, the same would hold true here. this looks to be that the c4 has either not bonded correctly with the substrate or that there is too much product on the surface which has then crystallised.

you will need to remove the coating using the method I listed above and reapply making 100% sure that you remove all residue.

How long does it take to crystallize? Could it take months? If so I guess I could have put too heavy a layer on initially, although it looked great when I first put it on.

AnthonyGXP
09-28-2015, 03:41 PM
How do you polish/compound porous plastic trim? How can the compound and pad reach the bottom of the pores?

I misread the post thinking the issue was with C1.......oops!