PDA

View Full Version : Newbie help 15 E63 obsidian black

Pages : [1] 2

kbiddle
09-26-2015, 04:23 PM
Hi all,
So I have read articles information product reviews till I'm cross eyed... So thought I would post here to see if I could get some advice prior making any purchases... And yes I know ones results may vary :-)
So about me ....
From southern Indiana slightly milder climate than majority of the Midwest ... I am a self described anal over my vehicles I have no problem putting in whatever time is required for an awesome appearance and consistent shine... I worked at a car wash early in my youth (high school).. Could at that time handle a buffer was taught by the local detail pro long before DA's but that has been some 30 years ago...
Ok fast forward to today I always two bucket method wash and dry followed by a quick wax ... When I wax its with local store products and it does an ok job...
So I am wanting to get into something better for the long term of my new car... 2015 E63 obsidian black that is amazing...
Sorry for the long rant but wanted to give as clear a picture as I could so I can ask for the experts here advice...
I would like to get a DA polisher I'm not as concerned about a bargain as I am a good long lasting polisher that I can get years of service out of...I don't need to do commercial work but I am a not over keeping the cars looking as immaculate as possible

So what DA would you suggest and backing and pads?
What cleaner waX ?
What polish or do I want a sealant or both?
Is black wax the right way to go or is it all hype?

I figured instead of maxing myself crazy with information overload I would ask the experts....
I'm open to starting from the wash to the final product including enterior ?

Can you please help?

Thanks guys..sorry for the long first post

Kevin

custmsprty
09-26-2015, 04:26 PM
What's your budget? Post up some pics of that bad boy.

kbiddle
09-26-2015, 04:51 PM
I not really set on a budget to be honest I just want to get it right from the start and not have to triall and error
I'm working to try and get some pics up...

iPad takes too big of one I guess

custmsprty
09-26-2015, 04:57 PM
I have the following polishers, Rupes 15, 75 and Duetto, the GG6 and 21. My favorite is the G21. It is a great tool and system. I have the 5" bp and use both on it. It is definitely a great machine, but as I said it is a system. Their products and pads are also excellent. It has a lifetime warranty too. You can't go wrong with this machine. It is super smooth and does a great job and is very efficient. I love my 3" Rupes too and the Duetto is nice as both are small tools. But between the Rupes 15 and the G21, I always reach for my G21. Whether you choose their products or not, I will say the machine works best with their pads as balance of the machine was designed around their low profile pads.

custmsprty
09-26-2015, 05:02 PM
Nice ride!

The G21 would work great on the panels on your Benz.

This would be a great set up and they have a 10% off no exclusions sale going on right now.

Griots Garage BOSS G21 Long-Throw Orbital Polisher Deluxe Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-g21-deluxe-kit.html)

kbiddle
09-26-2015, 05:05 PM
Ok that's a start ...
I looked ar the rules and it looks like a good product and DA should keep me from doing harm....

Now once I get some insight on the right pads and waxes I will be looking to make the leap...
I'm not sure how MB paint compares to others from a softness perspective etc...
Some of the black product are certainly pricey but if it is worth it I would be all in .. And do I want to seal / wax just one the other or both ?

custmsprty
09-26-2015, 05:11 PM
Their system is good enough for this big $$$ Classic Benz :buffing:

Check out the video, it's very informative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx8DhK691e8

AutowerxDetailing
09-26-2015, 05:39 PM
We work on lots of European cars. Actually working on a 2013 Benz ML350 right now in Obsidian Black.

I would highly recommend checking out the Meguiar's DA Microfiber Pads and Correction Compound. I also like M100 for correction work with microfiber pads.

For this project we're getting about 95% defect removal in two steps with M100 on a Microfiber Finishing Disc, refined with CarPro Reflect finishing polish on Lake Country black foam pads to remove what little haze was caused by the cutting stage.

The only drawback to the microfiber pads is you need an air compressor to clean them on the fly... That, or you need to use 30 pads to correct a whole car (instead of 5-7, cleaning on the fly).

kbiddle
09-26-2015, 05:40 PM
Great video
Thanks

GSKR
09-26-2015, 06:29 PM
That car is awesome if I had that car and if it's a daily driver I would polish the car and put a very nice quality easy too use coating maybe gloss coat stay away from waxes and synthetic sealants the longevity of a protected paint is not there,when compared to nanotechnology,Then after that you can wash the e with good wash habits and enjoy the swirl free protected paint for months to come.Maybe you will have to spot polish some areas over time .A nice da is meguairs ,it's light ,affordable ,and very little vibrations.Remember you don't have to spend 400 dollars when a 130 polisher can give you the same results keep it simple with so many machines and polishes out there you will go stir crazy.Ive been detailing for 23 years my opinion is micro pads do nothing 1 to4 passes it cakes up the fiber get matted so quick figure 2 hrs of stopping to refresh pads and 1 hr to do a simple light polish on that car to me the less is better to polish.go with foam you will not have any micro marring not a zillion products to use.If you chose micro pads get like 30 of them cause they don't last either.mb is a hard paint if you need to polish or cut cause of deep scratches better off using a rotary to knock them out quickly.If you keep using good washing habits on that paint it won't be a full time job.

Kamakaz1961
09-26-2015, 06:39 PM
Welcome to AGO! You will get lots of advice on what type of products, DA's and anything car detailing. Whatever you decide to choose do not forget to get Mike Phillips book on Show Car Detailing. That alone will help you steer on many decisions.

Don't forget to check your doorjamb on the paint...does it have Mercedes Benz Ceramiclear? There should be a "C" before the paint number. If there is none, then you paint does not have ceramiclear. This is a Mercedes Benz Specific coat. IMO no biggie if you don't have it.

Joe@NextLevelDetail
09-26-2015, 06:48 PM
Where at at Indiana, my in laws live in seymour

kbiddle
09-26-2015, 08:43 PM
Bedford area next

GSKR
09-26-2015, 09:30 PM
E 63 is ceramic coat

kbiddle
09-27-2015, 06:51 AM
So what's the big deal about the cermicoats?