PDA

View Full Version : Best Wax, Sealant or Coating for Protection Durability and Shedding?

Raz5219
09-25-2015, 09:52 PM
I'm a novice detailer and just picked up a Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Grand Cherokee as a daily driver. I'm going to give it a clay and polish but not sure what to use as a LSP? My priority is durability, protection, and ability to shed dirt and not attract dust. I live in NY so I get a wide range of temperature and weather conditions. I'm not picky about looks such as depth and reflectivity. I believe that most products out there will provide satisfactory results in that department. I'm also not bias on it being a wax, sealant or coating. From my research, I've come across products like FK1000P, Sonax Polymer net shield, Opti-Gloss and Collinite 476S. Can you guys give me your opinion on what you think will be best (whether from my list or otherwise)?

tdekany
09-25-2015, 10:44 PM
Raz, my suggestion would be Optimum Gloss Coat.

Mantilgh
09-25-2015, 10:57 PM
All good choices, and of course there's so many more.

I would say it deapends on:

Now much do you want to spend?

And to a lesser exstent:

Are you going to polish by machine or hand?

Do you enjoy waxing you car, or would you rather do it once and forget about?

In general, a coating will protect the best. A coating with a full machine abrasive and chemical cleaning step should protect better.

GSKR
09-25-2015, 11:16 PM
Glosscoat extreme durability,or collinite fleet wax.

Raz5219
09-25-2015, 11:23 PM
All good choices, and of course there's so many more.

I would say it deapends on:

Now much do you want to spend?

And to a lesser exstent:

Are you going to polish by machine or hand?

Do you enjoy waxing you car, or would you rather do it once and forget about?

In general, a coating will protect the best. A coating with a full machine abrasive and chemical cleaning step should protect better.

I can spend up to the price of Opti-gloss ($60-$70) or less. I'll be polishing by machine using my DA , Menzerna SIP and finish with 106.

I'd like to not have to wax my car too often (twice per year at most). My goal is to make the washing process more efficient and keep the car looking cleaner for a longer period of time being that it's my daily driver.

Raz5219
09-25-2015, 11:25 PM
Raz, my suggestion would be Optimum Gloss Coat.

This was my first choice, but how difficult is this to apply?

Mantilgh
09-25-2015, 11:48 PM
Add IPA wipe down to remove any traces of polishing oils and you good to go.

The weather and your wash methods can affect durability and apperence, but it should be better protected.

Edit: I have not used gloss coat, but have heard it is one of the easier coatings to apply.

silverfox
09-26-2015, 02:58 AM
With your prerequisites, you answered your own question...a coating. However, having said that..you must absolutely prepare the paint perfectly...no shortcuts. That means decon, clay, polish, and a pre coating prep product within the family. Don't just think you can wipe with IPA and you're good to go. Its been my experience that whatever coating you choose...to get maximum results...prep using only products within the family...otherwise, don't waste your money because its likely the coating will prematurely fail. Coatings are only as good as the manufacturers recommended process of preparation. Otherwise, just put on a super sealant like fk1000p, or sonax PNS 2x a year, both of which have coating characteristics and in the case of PNS...can exceed a coatings sheeting and self cleaning characteristics.

blown03
09-28-2015, 05:27 AM
I second PNS , very ,very ,very good product .

mwoolfso
09-28-2015, 07:47 AM
I have Sonax PNS; which will last ~ 4 months in my experience here in NY. I have used CQuartz as well. I have Opticoat; which I will be using on my daughter's vehicle soon enough.

I would suggest Detailers Paint (spray) coating to you. You get up to 2 years of protection and durability. Based on your priorities and the fact that you are a novice detailer this seems like it fits you the best.

Lastly, as an LSP you can always use Optimum Spray Wax; which will definitely help you with durability and keep you focused elsewhere in life.

Regardless of the product, make sure you add a decontamination step after the wash and before you clay. Also, you need a coating preparation step; Detailers has a prep polish which you must use. This product removes polishing oils but also prepares the surface for the coating as well.

Detailer’s Paint Coating, nano paint sealant, ceramic paint coating, nano paint coating (http://www.autogeek.net/nano-paint-sealant.html)

Detailer's Coating Prep Polish, clear coat polish, best car polish (http://www.autogeek.net/coating-prep-polish.html)

Vegas1
09-28-2015, 08:55 AM
Otherwise, just put on a super sealant like fk1000p, or sonax PNS 2x a year, both of which have coating characteristics and in the case of PNS...can exceed a coatings sheeting and self cleaning characteristics.

FK1000P has been my winter wax/sealant for quite some time now. 2 coats in Oct. usually makes it till March. If the weather permits, I do try to top it with Optimum Spray Wax.

Raz5219
09-28-2015, 10:12 AM
Thank you all for the very helpful suggestions. I didn't think about the decontamination and post polish prep. It seems like this is very important for any sealant or coating to stick.

Looks like my choices are between FK1000, opti-gloss and Sonax PNS. I'm meeting one of the board memebers today for a quote on opti-coat pro. So maybe I'll go that route.

Also, can you someone let me know which decontamination product to use? I don't know much about this subject.

lastly, I have a can of never used FK1000p from 7-8 years ago. (doesn't even have the white whale on the label). The wax is yellow in color and pretty hard. Is this still useable, or do you recommend buying a fresh can?

Raz5219
09-28-2015, 11:11 AM
I have Sonax PNS; which will last ~ 4 months in my experience here in NY. I have used CQuartz as well. I have Opticoat; which I will be using on my daughter's vehicle soon enough.

I would suggest Detailers Paint (spray) coating to you. You get up to 2 years of protection and durability. Based on your priorities and the fact that you are a novice detailer this seems like it fits you the best.

Lastly, as an LSP you can always use Optimum Spray Wax; which will definitely help you with durability and keep you focused elsewhere in life.

Regardless of the product, make sure you add a decontamination step after the wash and before you clay. Also, you need a coating preparation step; Detailers has a prep polish which you must use. This product removes polishing oils but also prepares the surface for the coating as well.

Detailer’s Paint Coating, nano paint sealant, ceramic paint coating, nano paint coating (http://www.autogeek.net/nano-paint-sealant.html)

Detailer's Coating Prep Polish, clear coat polish, best car polish (http://www.autogeek.net/coating-prep-polish.html)

Thank you for these suggestions. How does Detailers Paint Coating compare to Sonax PNS? They seem similar in how they're applied and longevity?

JerryL
10-08-2015, 06:16 PM
I have both DP coating, and PNS. Both are easy & nice. DP is the clear long term winner for me.