PDA

View Full Version : Cheap detailing brush

sshazam
09-25-2015, 07:32 PM
Hey guys,

I need to find some cheap brushes to clean up my engine bay plastics, scrub my perforated leather seats in my Kia, clean the vinyl door handles etc.

I live in Australia so i'm limited on whats available to me and i'm trying to keep this on an extreme budget I thought maybe I could use paint brushes as my go to detailing brush?

Paint brush for the engine bay plastics to help agitate the dirt.

Swissvax leather brush for my leather seats.

I'm not sure what brush I can use to agitate the dirt for my vinyl seat bolsters and dash.

Thanks !

Rsurfer
09-25-2015, 07:38 PM
Hey guys,

I need to find some cheap brushes to clean up my engine bay plastics, scrub my perforated leather seats in my Kia, clean the vinyl door handles etc.

I live in Australia so i'm limited on whats available to me and i'm trying to keep this on an extreme budget I thought maybe I could use paint brushes as my go to detailing brush?

Paint brush for the engine bay plastics to help agitate the dirt. Good

Swissvax leather brush for my leather seats. Good

I'm not sure what brush I can use for my vinyl seat bolsters and dash. Micro fiber towels

Thanks !

:props:

sshazam
09-25-2015, 08:10 PM
:props:

What would you recommend to agitate the dirt on vinyl bolsters, arm rest and dash ?

GSKR
09-25-2015, 08:32 PM
Autogeek is where quality tools of the trade are.Lets say you bought brushes at the dollar store if they have them there,they will fall apart the bristles will fall apart.

Damonsfcd
09-25-2015, 08:53 PM
As an aircraft mechanic, I can tell you that you can do wonders with just a paint brush. Too soft? Cut the hairs shorter with scissors or a razor blade and a hammer and it'll stiffen right up. A pack of three is pretty cheap. Don't forget to tape the metal bindings!

If you're REALLY cheap I can suggest a DIY "frugaljerk" brush.

1. Grab a bunch of hair from a salon.
2. Line hairs up to fashion an unweaved sort of rope.
3. Hot glue one end together.
4. Now wrap the glued end with tape, spiraling all the way up.

Now you just peel back the tape to the desired brush stiffness.

???

Profit!

Rsurfer
09-25-2015, 08:59 PM
What would you recommend to agitate the dirt on vinyl bolsters, arm rest and dash ?
If the surface is porous, use your Swissvax leather brush and wipe clean with a mf towel.

sshazam
09-26-2015, 02:10 AM
As an aircraft mechanic, I can tell you that you can do wonders with just a paint brush. Too soft? Cut the hairs shorter with scissors or a razor blade and a hammer and it'll stiffen right up. A pack of three is pretty cheap. Don't forget to tape the metal bindings!

If you're REALLY cheap I can suggest a DIY "frugaljerk" brush.

1. Grab a bunch of hair from a salon.
2. Line hairs up to fashion an unweaved sort of rope.
3. Hot glue one end together.
4. Now wrap the glued end with tape, spiraling all the way up.

Now you just peel back the tape to the desired brush stiffness.

???

Profit!

I bought some softish brushes a six pack for peanuts so even if they last one use its good value. It's only going on the engine bay plastic so should last.

If the surface is porous, use your Swissvax leather brush and wipe clean with a mf towel.
It's perforated leather seats as it has heated and ventilated seats. They're looking shiny so need a good clean. I just didn't know if the brush would be too rough.

Rsurfer
09-26-2015, 03:39 AM
I bought some softish brushes a six pack for peanuts so even if they last one use its good value. It's only going on the engine bay plastic so should last.

It's perforated leather seats as it has heated and ventilated seats. They're looking shiny so need a good clean. I just didn't know if the brush would be too rough.

I would consider the leather brush to be medium soft and should not hurt any of the vinyl surfaces on your interior. You are not scrubbing tires so go easy. A good cleaner and a mf towel does it for me.