PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with pads gumming up.

Pages : [1] 2

Andy602
09-25-2015, 12:03 PM
Hi guys,

I'm having some problems with my pads gumming up. I use my flex 3401 with LC hydro tech pads, I've even used some Menzerna pads. I've used M105 and M205 earlier but wanted to try out Menzernas products and that's when my problems came up. I use Menzerna FG400 and SF4000 and really like the results they produce but not the gumming.
I've tried misting the pads to prolong the working time but it still gums up.
I clean my pads with a terry cotton towel after every panel or even twice on every panel. After a couple of panels I wash the pads and switch to a fresh pad.
Since this is a pretty common set up I'm wondering if anyone can help me out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zubair
09-25-2015, 12:10 PM
Menzerna gums up MF pads worse than any other polish/compound for me. I suppose they not designed for MF or closed cell structure pads? They work fine on wool or open cell foam though.

Andy602
09-25-2015, 12:19 PM
Good thing i have a couple of CG pads laying around. I'll try them tomorrow.
Thank you for the fast response!!

fly07sti
09-25-2015, 12:28 PM
Are you priming the entire pad first? If so, that's your issue. The way to prime a pad for menzerna is just 4-6 dots, then 3 dots for each subsequent section.

Andy602
09-25-2015, 12:32 PM
Another useful tip I believe since I've been priming my pads like I've always done with other polishes.
Thank you Zubair I'll try that tomorrow.

tdekany
09-25-2015, 03:39 PM
Yeah, oily polishes don't need priming. Use less.

7.3powerstroke
09-25-2015, 03:44 PM
Yeah, oily polishes don't need priming. Use less.

does that mean HD polishes are oily?

tdekany
09-25-2015, 04:05 PM
does that mean HD polishes are oily?

Well, you can work them for ever, so I wouldn't call them dry polishes. Im the MAN

7.3powerstroke
09-25-2015, 05:40 PM
Well, you can work them for ever, so I wouldn't call them dry polishes. Im the MAN

Thanks Thomas

GSKR
09-25-2015, 08:40 PM
First mistake to much product,and along with that you wet the pads. other than that there's a lot of variables .

custmsprty
09-25-2015, 10:38 PM
FG 400 Fresh Pad each panel, they gum up no matter what.

Great results with a price. I think once the heat builds up in the pads it adds to the gumming up. You can only clean so much on the fly too. As pads cost $$$ my solution has been to use more and change often to preserve the integrity and life of the pad and the effectiveness of the polish. As the pad gums up the polish is less effective, the heat builds up and the pad can fail. These were brand new LC pads, used my Rupes 15.

Side note: I have done all the other suggestions etc etc.

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w421/custmsprty/20131224_163726_zpszlmfmey1.jpg (http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/custmsprty/media/20131224_163726_zpszlmfmey1.jpg.html)

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w421/custmsprty/20131224_163750_zpsx6rjntws.jpg (http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/custmsprty/media/20131224_163750_zpsx6rjntws.jpg.html)

dlc95
09-26-2015, 09:17 AM
Are you priming the entire pad first? If so, that's your issue. The way to prime a pad for menzerna is just 4-6 dots, then 3 dots for each subsequent section.

Absolutely. Especially with Menzerna. If I go with 5 fits around the edge, I'll use very small dots.

I clean the with the pad conditioning brush after each section too.

Mantilgh
09-26-2015, 09:30 AM
Yes, a brush will help. I use a fairly stiff scrub brush and lightly go over it with the polisher set at a low speed. It helps pick the build up off. I was trying to use the towel technique to be gentle on mine but it just doesn't seem to clean them as well. I believe a brush will wear the pads a little faster, but it should not affect their performance.

cardaddy
09-26-2015, 12:31 PM
Combination of too much product, too little cleaning, too long using each pad.

Prime with 3~5 dots, you can even smear the dots a bit towards the inside (like spokes) with your finger if you like.

When you say you clean the pad after each panel (or twice during a panel) I'd say change that. I'd move to cleaning the pad on the fly with a brush, AND a towel after EACH section pass. You can then use 2 more TINY dots and do your next section pass.

Many times you'll use 2 pads per panel, and on large panels like hoods, even roofs, trunks, and rear quarters you'll use more. I've used as many as 4 pads on a hood, although that's more than I needed. I did it though to keep heat from building up inside the pad(s). Remember that the pad to paint surface isn't where most of your heat is going to build up. Where you will get most of it is between the pad and the backing plate! That heat permeates within the pad and continues to build. Combine that with the friction from the pad to paint surface AND the ever adding product, abraded paint, moisture all within the pad and it'll get pretty full, pretty quick.

The trick is to go first in, first out with your pads. Setup say 4 pads minimum to do a hood, and do one section with the first one. Clean it on the fly, set it aside and let it cool. Next section with #2, again cleaning on the fly, setting aside to cool. Then to #3, #4 and so on. Moving back to #1 in a round robin fashion. This'll allow the pads to cool and keep you working. Trying to do a hood with a single pad, or 2... (especially if it's hot out) is an invitation to gumming up, as well as likely premature pad failure.

Never can have too many pads. ;)

shagnat
09-26-2015, 05:44 PM
Glad I read this as I hope to use my Menzerna products this coming week, weather permitting.