PDA

View Full Version : Wax coats

sean1ucc
09-23-2015, 03:42 PM
So last weekend I polished, sealed and waxed the car for the first time and turned pretty well! I wanted to put two coats of wax over the top but after i got the first off it p****d rain [emoji34] I want to apply another coat this weekend and just wondering is it sufficient to just wash, dry then apply wax or whether there is additional steps to go through again? Thanks

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Kamakaz1961
09-23-2015, 03:47 PM
IMO I see no reason why not. I usually do the same thing. 2 coats is what I usually do. Due to time constraints the 2nd coat will go on about 1 week later and I just wash and dry and then put the 2nd coat on.

sean1ucc
09-23-2015, 03:52 PM
That's great, thought I was going to have to do a decon of some sort again before reapplying! Do you just top up after every wash with wipe on/wipe off a spray wax or reapply hard wax every month or so?

Kamakaz1961
09-23-2015, 04:09 PM
I usually re-apply a coat of wax about 1 time every 6 weeks whether it needs it or not. About 4 or 5 months I will strip the wax off. I will wash, baggie test if it needs for nanoskin (clay), polish (if it needs it) and then use a wax remover and then do the whole process of sealant/wax or wax.

During the times I will not apply another coat of wax I will use a spray wax or QD after the 2nd wash.

This might be overkill or OCD or whatever you call it, however, I enjoy doing this as it is my stress relief.

I hope this helps.

sean1ucc
09-23-2015, 04:15 PM
That sounds like a reasonable routine to stick to! What is a baggie test? I'm new to the detailing scene but got into pretty quickly after stocking up with loads of gear. The gf gets jealous of the car now and I'm sure the neighbours think I'm mad out there every wknd 😂 Thanks for advice

Kamakaz1961
09-23-2015, 04:33 PM
That sounds like a reasonable routine to stick to! What is a baggie test? I'm new to the detailing scene but got into pretty quickly after stocking up with loads of gear. The gf gets jealous of the car now and I'm sure the neighbours think I'm mad out there every wknd 😂 Thanks for advice

The baggie test is where you use a plastic baggie. I like the bags that you put fruit or vegetables in from the grocery store. Those bags are very thin. You just put your hand in the bag and then gently rub your hand (in the baggie) ove the hood and areas of you car to "feel" for contaminants. You will feel it.

If you do, you know the car needs to be clayed. I do know Mike Phillips has a few videos on the How-To section and they show how it is done.

sean1ucc
09-23-2015, 04:36 PM
Perfect, I'll have a look for those thanks

Paul A.
09-23-2015, 04:56 PM
Not to pile on but that's what i do also i.e. wax or sealant one weekend after decon then a second layer applied the next weekend after a simple wash and dry. Chances are you didn't pick up enough contamination over a week's time to warrant a full iron x, clay or nanoskin treatment before the second layer.

Love the baggie trick. It amplifies your tactile feedback for your fingertips to feel the grit in or on your paint. Doing it while your claying helps to determine whether to move on to the next panel too.

Oh and...

Wife/girlfriend jealous of my car? Check!
Neighbors think i'm mental? Check?

Right there with ya!

Kamakaz1961
09-23-2015, 05:20 PM
Not to pile on but that's what i do also i.e. wax or sealant one weekend after decon then a second layer applied the next weekend after a simple wash and dry. Chances are you didn't pick up enough contamination over a week's time to warrant a full iron x, clay or nanoskin treatment before the second layer.

Love the baggie trick. It amplifies your tactile feedback for your fingertips to feel the grit in or on your paint. Doing it while your claying helps to determine whether to move on to the next panel too.

Oh and...

Right there with ya!

LMAO!! :laughing::laughing:

They say that MOST AGO geeks are mental!!

Paul A.
09-23-2015, 05:47 PM
Just like the old saying, if the neighbors think you're nuts you're probably doing it right!

DogRescuer
09-24-2015, 05:51 AM

Oh and...

Right there with ya!

I didn't know that you can do that test when the panels wet??

Paul A.
09-24-2015, 08:33 AM
I do but nowadays only on the heavily contaminated areas...rocker panels, back end, around exhausts. I'll clay or nano the heavy areas until i can't feel any contaminants left and just to make sure i'll grab my baggie out of my pocket and test it for completeness. I usually find at least a small area that may need to be hit again. And to be honest i prefer doing it with some lube still there.

DogRescuer
09-26-2015, 05:50 AM
I do but nowadays only on the heavily contaminated areas...rocker panels, back end, around exhausts. I'll clay or nano the heavy areas until i can't feel any contaminants left and just to make sure i'll grab my baggie out of my pocket and test it for completeness. I usually find at least a small area that may need to be hit again. And to be honest i prefer doing it with some lube still there.

Thanks