PDA

View Full Version : Leopard Spots (finger marks) or Failing Paint

Bluemach1
09-23-2015, 01:14 PM
I have a 2001 BMW M5 that I bought about a year ago. The hood appeared to have some oxidation. Over the winter, I clayed and used some 105 and 205 and followed up with some Zaino. It looked great.

This car seldom gets driven and sits in the garage. After driving it a couple of times this summer, I can see where the paint is clouding up again.

Also, as I said, this car sits inside and hardly gets driven. However, after wiping the car down and doing the "bag" test today, it feels bumpy already. it was as smooth as glass.

So, what do you think? Is the paint failing? I have suspicion that there may have been a respray at some time but I can find any accident history (carfax) and there is no overspray that would indicate that. However, there were some tabs on the grill that were broken off and a couple other tale-tell signs that indicate that it was disassembled.

Thoughts?

Mike Phillips
09-23-2015, 01:44 PM
I have a 2001 BMW M5 that I bought about a year ago. The hood appeared to have some oxidation.

Over the winter, I clayed and used some 105 and 205 and followed up with some Zaino. It looked great.

Thoughts?

If the claying plush M105 and M205 restored a clear, smooth surface and now it's back to a textured oxidized appearance to me that would mean the paint is either single stage as single stage paints oxidize easier than clearcoats.

Or it's clearcoat is beginning to go.

Did you pull color when you compounded the paint? That is, did you see the color of the paint coming off and onto your pad?

:)

Bluemach1
09-23-2015, 03:25 PM
No, there was no color transfer.

Bluemach1
09-23-2015, 10:50 PM
Well, I just went and hit a test spot on the hood with a little m205 by hand. It clears right off. I'll redo the whole hood. I have some M21 and M07 that I'll slather on there too. We'll see how long it holds.