PDA

View Full Version : Car Cover Question

65vw
09-23-2015, 10:58 AM
Hi All,

I don't have a large garage so I have to keep a few of my cars under car covers.
The cars I put covers on that are then stored under a deck in the area that is mostly dry and these cars look fine when I uncover them to take them out.
The wax and polish jobs still look great.

However, I have one car that is simply covered with a car cover in the driveway so it does get rained on.
The car cover is a Noah super heavy duty cover.

When I took the cover off the car in the driveway yesterday, after covering it up after polishing and waxing it, I now see small brown spots on the fenders flat surfaces and a good amount of a fine brown dust when I push my fingers across the cars surface.

Is this normal for a super heavy duty car cover to let find dirt thru to mix with moisture and cause brown spots??

I am an extremely "clean" and organized person when it comes to car stuff and the car cover is always taken off by carefully folding the cover so the insides and outsides never contact to transfer dirt. A removed cover is stored neatly folded in a cardboard box in a dry garage.
All are folded in the same way so I know what is the front and back for when I put them back on the cars.

I don't think I am smearing any external dirt to the inside of the cover.

Do any of you professionals ever remove a car cover from a car stored outside and do you see the same fine dirt or spots on a totally clean and waxed car when covered?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Now I have to go over the whole car with a spray wash due to using a car cover that was supposed to keep all stuff from reaching the cars paint.

Setec Astronomy
09-23-2015, 11:03 AM
I'm not sure which Noah you have, and what else is available today, but generally speaking, those covers are breathable (to prevent trapping moisture under them and damaging the paint and corroding the car).

Years ago I stored a car outside with one of those covers, and the rain would push fine particulate through it (pollen?) which would leave a mess on the finish upon removing the cover.

65vw
09-23-2015, 12:27 PM
Thanks Setec.

This was the most weather/water/UV resistant cover that Noah made per the charts and was said to be one of the best generally available covers.

That makes sense about breathability and fine dust getting in.
I was wanting to confirm if this was normal or not and it looks like it is.

I guess I better figure out a better storage solution.

GS2011
09-23-2015, 02:43 PM
I'm not sure which Noah you have, and what else is available today, but generally speaking, those covers are breathable (to prevent trapping moisture under them and damaging the paint and corroding the car).

Years ago I stored a car outside with one of those covers, and the rain would push fine particulate through it (pollen?) which would leave a mess on the finish upon removing the cover.

:iagree: I have also had this happen with a NOAH cover. When removing the cover, it appeared to have a fine dust all over it.

Pats300zx
09-23-2015, 03:05 PM
:iagree: I have also had this happen with a NOAH cover. When removing the cover, it appeared to have a fine dust all over it.

I am running into the same problem with the NOAH cover on my 350z. It's stored in the garage but every time I take the cover off it has fine dust all over the car. I am thinking of taking the cover and washing it to see if it will rinse some of the dust out.

This is the second NOAH cover that I have had do this.

Setec Astronomy
09-23-2015, 03:12 PM
For you guys that store in the garage, there may be a better option: Covercraft Car Covers offer protection and an attractive fit in a variety of fabrics & patterns! dustop, evolution, cover craft, truck, custom, (http://www.autogeek.net/carcovers.html)

Looking at that chart I realize that old cover I had was an Evolution, I think they've gone through several "evolutions" of that fabric since then, plus the NOAH, etc. There certainly are a lot of choices now.

ronkh57
09-23-2015, 03:12 PM
One of the reasons I don't use car covers

Jaretr1
09-24-2015, 03:23 PM
I had a NOAH cover on my cars outside exposed to everything and they not only let dust in, but created their own dust as they slowly disintigrated.

I went with the Weathershield HP and they are virtually dust free! They are also much thinner than the NOAH, so easier to store and dry much faster. The disadvantage is when its windy, they are a little tougher to deal with, and need something to keep them in place on the car. I use a bungy cord and they have never come off.

I am very happy with the Weathershield HP covers. I disliked the Noah.

65vw
09-24-2015, 04:44 PM
One of the reasons I don't use car covers

Any car you keep outside and not under cover must require a good amount of attention to keep it nice looking.

Where I live moss and other things started to grow on the car I left outside and uncovered.
A small amount of dust from a car cover seems like a good trade off to what happens per my experience with no cover.

I had a NOAH cover on my cars outside exposed to everything and they not only let dust in, but created their own dust as they slowly disintigrated.

I went with the Weathershield HP and they are virtually dust free! They are also much thinner than the NOAH, so easier to store and dry much faster. The disadvantage is when its windy, they are a little tougher to deal with, and need something to keep them in place on the car. I use a bungy cord and they have never come off.

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate the feedback and recommendation based on actual experience.

MarkD51
09-24-2015, 05:05 PM

I pretty much noted the same with my NOAH from California Car Covers. One week ago, it went in the trash. It was just shy by a couple months of 3 years old. I was seeing white dust all over the vehicle, the cover considerably lost its water repellency, and at the end, you could poke a hole through the cover with about the same effort it takes to poke a hole through a Bounty Paper Towel.

From here, AG, I ordered a Covercraft Weathershield HD Cover, not cheap, but I believe it to be the very top of the line from Covercraft. It is not as soft as the NOAH, but I believe it will hold up much better.

I caught this cover right here, right before Labor Day, with a 20% sale, no exclusions, and saved myself about $84. The cover commonly sells for $564 for my Tahoe, so I felt it was a good savings.

You can contact Covercraft either by Phone, or Email, and ask them if they will send you their sample swatches for all their material. It will help you better choose the right cover for yourself. They did for me, no charge.

Yes, as many others have said, if I ever need another outdoor cover again in the future, it will not be the NOAH Material. The Sunbrella looks like another very good heavy duty material, and it too like the TOTL Weathershield HD, comes with a 5 year warrantee.