PDA

View Full Version : paint peeled off customers car when removing 3m tape. customer is asking to pay for damage

jeff79
09-23-2015, 01:24 AM
i run a small time headlight restoration business on weekends. several weeks ago i buffed the headlights on this lady's car who had an older Mercedes benz. All went well with the headlight restoration, but when i removed the tape, a very small section of the paint around the light peeled off with the 3m automotive tape i was using! i was shocked because ive done over 500 headlight restorations and had never had an issue with tape damaging paint before. I apologized to the customer and was honest and explained i had no idea why this happened and had to accept responsibility then and there. yesterday i was emailed a quote for nearly $1000(with car rental) from a local body shop..

Looking back i may have jumped the gun a little too quickly. Is it possible that they could had there bumper repainted and it wasnt clear coated properly or for whatever reason the paint was weakened/not healthy?

Has anyone had a similar experience with the tape peeling off paint or did i just get really unlucky? also, any advice on how to proceed foward would be greatly appreciated.