PDA

View Full Version : Carpro Ceriglass: questions about technique

Pages : [1] 2

Dan Tran
09-22-2015, 07:55 PM
First use of this product ever!

I bought the Carpro glass polishing pad with it. I am using it with a Meguiar's mt300.

To the questions:

What opm speed should I be using this at?

Though the first attempt was an improvement on its own, do scratches require a lot of pressure?

How much product should I be using?

Here is a picture, not the best... I split the left side off with tape horizontally. If you can see it, it seems like it came out ok.

However, it seems like I still have some form of swirls in the glass itself when I was driving in the evening.
Show I do a second round of this to try and get the swirls out?

Is it possible to create more scratches with the Carpro pads?

Will halos be obvious? I am pretty sure I didn't cause any halos as I here it's more of a problem with a rotary vs da. May I just need to clean off my windshield more.

Will I be able to get things 100% perfect?

I most wth water as needed to prevent drying. Do I work the product till it seems like it's disappearing? Suppose that's the case, is that when I need to add more product??

Please help???

Dan Tran
09-22-2015, 07:59 PM
One more thing, should I have clayed the glass surface first?

Mantilgh
09-22-2015, 08:52 PM
I can't give you much advice just some threads to read if you like.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/58269-removal-glass-scratches-carpro-griots-da.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/43988-review-carpro-ceriglass.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/94332-some-glass-polishing-fun-my-300zx.html

GSKR
09-22-2015, 10:08 PM
Scratches in glass won't polish out maybe you're talking about wiper drag that polish will improve but just short term. I can't see how swirl marks in glass can occur.

Typerx
09-22-2015, 10:50 PM
I had light scratches that looked like swirls in addition to wiper "rash". I used Ceriglass along with the Carpro pad on my PC7424 and it wasn't easy, but I got pretty much all the scratches out. Windshield still has a bunch of pits but I can live with those for the time being.

I can't provide a lot of advice here but can tell you what worked for me:
1. It takes a long time. A LOOONG time. I probably spent 3+ hours on my windshield (2007 911).
2. I didn't see results unless I used a lot of pressure. Probably more than the 15 lbs I've seen recommended.
3. I always polished on 5-6 with my PC.
4. The technique to reduce splatter while keeping things wet enough -- using a very small spray bottle -- is perfect. Yes, it is still awkward holding your DA while spraying but it works.
5. You don't need a ton of Ceriglass as long as you keep it wet. Not dripping down the windshield wet...but you should see white "milky" liquid while correcting.
6. I clayed my glass first but I am not sure it really matters. The Ceriglass is going to remove everything off the surface...only the pits might retain some gunk. You can always clay after.

Good luck -- this was really not my favorite thing but in the end all the swirls and wiper scratches are gone.

AGOatemywallet
09-22-2015, 11:04 PM
It is possible to instill additional damage in glass when using pads and products as aggressive as these

Please do a test spot on the Passenger Side, low in the corner. It's the easiest are to polish and if damage is done; it will not be in your direct line of sight while driving

Dan Tran
09-23-2015, 07:27 PM
Great information here.

I am still not clear. After watching a few videos online and reading AGO threads, I came to the conclusion that a little product definitely goes a long way as long as it is mist with water frequently. Also it seems like you keep working that same amount of product till it is almost fully dissolved or rather is fully broken down till the glass appears to be clear of product. And the choice then to add more product is mine if needed.

If someone can help confirm or correct my thinking on this please.....

Typerx
09-23-2015, 07:48 PM
I used very little product in 3+ hours - maybe like 2 oz?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan Tran
09-24-2015, 02:18 PM
Great information here.

...Also it seems like you keep working that same amount of product till it is almost fully dissolved or rather is fully broken down till the glass appears to be clear of product. And the choice then to add more product is mine...

Can anyone comment on this?

Typerx
09-24-2015, 02:56 PM
Yes, you keep working the product and reactivating with water. It has a VERY long working time. I never added more product to the same area I was working on, only for when I moved on to the next spot.

Dan Tran
09-30-2015, 04:18 PM
Sorry kids, I wish I had before and after pictures!

Needless to say, I gave this another shot yesterday...when used correctly...ASTONISHING!

Thank you all for the help!!!

Typerx
09-30-2015, 04:18 PM
Amazing stuff - just wish it would fix small chips!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GSKR
09-30-2015, 07:38 PM
If it's bad enough to spend all that time on it ,and a vert high potential for it to reappear,I would just spring to get a new windshield if ur gonna keep it ,and if the car is worthy of that .

Dan Tran
09-30-2015, 07:45 PM
I already have all the resources to make happen. Some people prefer to make the effort also.

GSKR
09-30-2015, 10:22 PM
More than likely one or two wsahes it will be Back