PDA

View Full Version : First Detail

kadenm
09-21-2015, 05:37 PM
I got a brand new car and am going to be doing my first real detail.

Right now i plan to wash using gold class (or should i use dish soap to strip old wax?), clay bar if any imperfections, then wax with collinite 845.

Would you guys recommend i use dish soap, and should i use 2 coats of 845? If i was to do 2 coats do i just apply a 2nd coat right after I'm done with the first coat?

Thanks

Kamakaz1961
09-21-2015, 05:46 PM
Welcome to AGO! Congrats on your new ride. IMO you should be OK with car soap. Clay barring your car is a must! As for 1 or 2 coats of 845 is not a problem as I see. IMO you have the right idea. Just make sure it is a 2-bucket method with grit guards.

As for the 845 make sure you put it on thin. 845 is some great product. Please show pics when you are done.

You might get quite a different amount of opinions, just do what you think is right. Technique is important, however, it appears you have the basics covered. Rock on!

Toro1966
09-21-2015, 08:48 PM
I completely concur with clay bar being a must. Mine had some kind of contaminant, felt almost like overspray all over the front end and down one side. Couldn't see it, but it felt like sandpaper. Even with claybar, took me literally 3 hours+ to clay my truck. And this is brand new...

GSKR
09-21-2015, 09:03 PM
if you're gonna do all that wiping,why not use Blackfire coating super easy dummie proof and you can use it outside ,never had a issue.with the Blackfire u will be done faster and awesome durability.collinite is a awesome product not knocking it just tryin to make u work smarter .

kadenm
09-21-2015, 10:31 PM
Cool thanks for all the help, i'll look into that blackfire product.

Probably won't get around to detailing until the weekend, but i will post pictures when finished.

kadenm
09-25-2015, 04:39 PM
Just finished detailing, I washed/clay bar/ipa wipe/wax, and cleaned all the wheels, trim, and interior. Super happy with it and it looks amazing! I only have some iPhone pics currently.

http://i.imgur.com/VGxBfLS.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/QIlMfvj.jpg

Joe@NextLevelDetail
09-25-2015, 04:51 PM
Only use dish soap when your polishing paint.

There's nothing wrong with"old wax" adding it right on top of it can't hurt only help.

Again only use dish soap if you polish or plan to use sealant or a coating.

Never put sealant on top of wax because wax doesn't last as long and once the WAx is gone the sealant is gone.

So seal first then wax

custmsprty
09-25-2015, 04:55 PM
Nice work and welcome to the Black Paint Obsession.

As far as old school dish soap, their are a lot better options to "dish soap" to use on your vehicle. One I've used and continue to use is CG Citrus Wash & Gloss in a higher dilution rate when "stripping" LSP's prior to an AIO or polish and have had excellent results over the years.

shagnat
09-27-2015, 06:34 AM
Nice work and welcome to the Black Paint Obsession.

As far as old school dish soap, their are a lot better options to "dish soap" to use on your vehicle. One I've used and continue to use is CG Citrus Wash & Gloss in a higher dilution rate when "stripping" LSP's prior to an AIO or polish and have had excellent results over the years.
With the OP being a nooB, I just wonder if he understands "CG, LSP, and AIO"? Unless he's been doing a lot LOT of reading, my guess is NOT.... just sayin'....