PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Dashboard

Lustrous Detail
09-21-2015, 02:57 PM
Aloha.

I came across a detail this week and the dashboard was sticky with pet hair. I could not get the pet hair off and the stickiness off. I used some APC and MF Towels first. Did not work. I tried steam as well but did not go to aggressive. Any suggestions?

Im not sure if the stickiness from previous cleaners or the hot hawaiian sun.

jrs1418
09-21-2015, 03:00 PM
Hawaiian sun probably with lack of previous protection. Had . Customer with this recently on his hard plastic surfaces.. not the dashboard but center consoles and door handles. He wanted it off no matter what, and isopropyl and magic erasers did the job fairly fast.

H2oggre
08-31-2018, 11:06 AM
I'm a vinyl chemist with same problem on a 2007 Camry dashboard. Toyota issued a recall extension but expires after 10-yrs. Basically the stickiness is plasticizers and stabilizers blooming to surface due to reformulation to be more environmentally friendly by reducing/eliminating halogenated chemistries in their vinyls and elastomers. Problem is nothing I can buy at the auto parts or department store (e.g. "Goo Gone" various "Bug & Tar remover" formulations, both with and without "petroleum distillates") removes it. If I could buy chloroform or Carbon tetrachloride that would probably work (might attack the vinyl or the colorants as well).

Toyota offers no help whatsoever. Google search shows success with abrasives and massive elbow grease - not my idea of success. And yes I've tried IPA (Isopropyl alcohol). I have not tried gasoline (which I believe is mostly hexanes isomers).

Does anyone know of a wipe-on/wipe-off solution or solvent that they have had success with?

Eldorado2k
08-31-2018, 11:33 AM
I'm a vinyl chemist with same problem on a 2007 Camry dashboard. Toyota issued a recall extension but expires after 10-yrs. Basically the stickiness is plasticizers and stabilizers blooming to surface due to reformulation to be more environmentally friendly by reducing/eliminating halogenated chemistries in their vinyls and elastomers. Problem is nothing I can buy at the auto parts or department store (e.g. "Goo Gone" various "Bug & Tar remover" formulations, both with and without "petroleum distillates") removes it. If I could buy chloroform or Carbon tetrachloride that would probably work (might attack the vinyl or the colorants as well).

Toyota offers no help whatsoever. Google search shows success with abrasives and massive elbow grease - not my idea of success. And yes I've tried IPA (Isopropyl alcohol). I have not tried gasoline (which I believe is mostly hexanes isomers).

Does anyone know of a wipe-on/wipe-off solution or solvent that they have had success with?

Have you tried Magic Eraser w/diluted APC as the wetting agent?

Soft Scrub bathroom cleaner would also probably work. Just make sure not to use the 1 with bleach. Get the lemon scent, I’ve used it before to clean grimy leather & vinyl with success.

H2oggre
09-01-2018, 04:26 PM
I have not tried Magic eraser. Just to be clear - this is not built up grime (like on door grips/armrests). This is a gummy plasticizer that blooms to the surface of the vinyl. Its sticky. Has an affinity to the vinyl but airborne lint and even papers will stick to it. Its a formulation goof of Toyota around the year 2007 and caused a product recall and caused a 10-yr extension of the recall. (see Toyota's Melting Dashboards (http://www.toyotaproblems.com/trends/melting-dashboard/)) Without the plasticizer, I'm sure the vinyl dashboard will degrade, split and get brittle. So my efforts are temporary at best.

But I have some Lemon flavor Soft Scrub (although I do not need an abrasive) and I will get some Mr. Clean Magic Erasers and give your suggestions a try. I assume APC is "All Purpose Cleaner" like 409 Lysol and such?

BTW that bleach-based Soft scrub is great for built up grime in bathrooms. Thanks so much for the helpful ideas.

H2oggre
09-01-2018, 04:28 PM
I found a video of the problem (YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS62E27R8Dg))

gspam1
09-01-2018, 05:27 PM
Citrol 266 is the strongest thing in my arsenal. I think those aftermarket dash covers are a decent solution until you sell the car.