PDA

View Full Version : In-the-car cleaning kit

parshooter
09-21-2015, 12:36 PM
I'm putting together a bag of "emergency" cleaning supplies to keep in my car. I have glass cleaner and mf towels for the glass and paint. What would be a good solution for removing bugs/dirt from the front end? I'm thinking either a waterless wash (Blackfire) or ONR diluted. TIA

pheerix
09-21-2015, 01:24 PM
I keep a small bottle of Opti-Clean in the car but any waterless wash would suffice. Wouldn't use glass cleaner for paint. Bug splatter isn't so bad in my area, usually just small gnats, so I actually use Opti-clean soaked Qtips and gently remove them. I don't buff with the Qtips obviously. I also do this in my garage because I would get the crazy looks if I did this in public.

parshooter
09-21-2015, 01:50 PM
Wouldn't use glass cleaner for paint.
Yup, the glass cleaner is for the windshield. This kit is for when I'm on the road. I HATE driving around with bugs all over the front end/windshield.

spewking
09-21-2015, 02:21 PM
Bug squash is good to have in kit

Nick McKees37
09-21-2015, 04:31 PM
Glass Cleaner
Waterless Wash
Microfiber Towels (at least half a dozen)

Some might find this surprising...but I always take one of these with me on a road trip across the state.

Safe Scrub Bug & Tar Pad (http://www.autogeek.net/pinsafscrub.html)

*GASP* - what about soaking it in a bucket of soapy water for 5 minutes? :eek:

If you spray a liberal amount of waterless wash directly onto the panel and the sponge and are very gentle, there's no fear of scratching or marring the surface. I actually think it poses less harm to the paint versus rubbing the same area over and over again with a microfiber towel, eventually getting impatient and then scrubbing each bug gut off with the towel wrapped around your finger. :)

mcleod52
09-21-2015, 04:35 PM
Griots Speed Shine works well, as does Megs D114 at the prescribed ratio (128:1 or even 256:1).

FUNX650
09-21-2015, 05:10 PM
Depending on how long the trip(s) will be...
Here's one way I consolidate the detailing
products/accessories for a more compact Kit:

•1 ea. 16oz., or 1 ea. 32oz., Spray Bottle
filled with Meguiar's D114 @1:128 ratio
•2-4 ea. Microfiber "Glass" Towels
•2-4 ea. Microfiber "Paint Safe" Towels

Note:
Additional MF-towels...at ones discretion.

Bob

DaHen
09-21-2015, 05:41 PM
And lets not forget Poorboy’s World Bird Sh#t Remover. Usually havta use it when the cars been in a parking lot for awhile.

Keep in mind that most of these "in-the-car cleaning kits" will freeze while in the trunk during the upcoming winter months.

parshooter
09-22-2015, 06:26 AM
Keep in mind that most of these "in-the-car cleaning kits" will freeze while in the trunk during the upcoming winter months.

That's a great thought DaHen, thanks for the tip :dblthumb2:

So my bag consists of: small spray bottle of glass cleaner and one of Blackfire WW, 2 glass towels, one really plush and one short nap mf. I always have 2 ww drying towels and two plush mf towels in the car at all times anyway. The kit is in a small, soft cooler, just in case I need to chill some beverages at some point. :props:

FUNX650
09-22-2015, 07:04 AM
That's a great thought DaHen, thanks for the tip :dblthumb2:

So my bag consists of: small spray bottle of glass cleaner and one of Blackfire WW, 2 glass towels, one really plush and one short nap mf. I always have 2 ww drying towels and two plush mf towels in the car at all times anyway. The kit is in a small, soft cooler, just in case I need to chill some beverages at some point. :props:
Sounds like a good kit for your stated
purposes---clean windshield/auto glass;
and a bug remover for the front clip.

A couple of thoughts in passing:
•Since you've got a WW in the kit...
I don't see the need for the glass cleaner product.

•I don't worry so much about carrying around an
in-the-car cleaning kit and it freezing-up during the
Winter months in Ohio: the for-winter-blended fluid
in the windshield washer reservoir/wipers takes care
of the windshield cleaning task; and the bugs, that
can usually be found: laid-to-rest...on the front clip,
are now "hibernating".

Bob

parshooter
09-22-2015, 12:12 PM
Sounds like a good kit for your stated
purposes---clean windshield/auto glass;
and a bug remover for the front clip.

A couple of thoughts in passing:
•Since you've got a WW in the kit...
I don't see the need for the glass cleaner product.

•I don't worry so much about carrying around an
in-the-car cleaning kit and it freezing-up during the
Winter months in Ohio: the for-winter-blended fluid
in the windshield washer reservoir/wipers takes care
of the windshield cleaning task; and the bugs, that
can usually be found: laid-to-rest...on the front clip,
are now "hibernating".

Bob

Great points Bob. But, since I clean the windshield much more often than the paint (when I'm out and about), my vinegar/water glass cleaner is MUCH cheaper to use than Blackfire WW. You're right about not worrying about bugs in the winter, plus, I don't travel (drive) during the cold months so the kit won't be in the car then.

Detailing by M
09-22-2015, 01:23 PM
waterless wash
glass cleaner
MFT

Iceberg4k1
10-14-2015, 10:54 PM
MF and Opti Clean since you can use it just about anywhere on the vehicle. For cleaning my leather seats I just use a water dampened MF since they are coated with UIGP.