PDA

View Full Version : Windshield cleaning

Pages : [1] 2

boostedmoose003
09-19-2015, 05:58 PM
For some reason on my car the windshield seems to have some sort of film that doesn't really go away with glass cleaners. I've tried a few different brands and it looks clean in sunlight then all of a sudden there is a weird streak/haze in it. This is the only car that does this when I clean the windows. Should I try a mild clay or fine polish to see if this fixes it?

MikeLW
09-19-2015, 06:08 PM
For some reason on my car the windshield seems to have some sort of film that doesn't really go away with glass cleaners. I've tried a few different brands and it looks clean in sunlight then all of a sudden there is a weird streak/haze in it. This is the only car that does this when I clean the windows. Should I try a mild clay or fine polish to see if this fixes it?

Pictures or/and an explanation of products used, and technique applied will give us a better understanding of how to help you.

boostedmoose003
09-19-2015, 06:13 PM
Pictures or/and an explanation of products used, and technique applied will give us a better understanding of how to help you.

I tried using Meg's Glass cleaner, Stoner's, and Optimum. I spray and clean with a waffle weave glass towel. This is the same thing I do on my other vehicles with no problems.

MikeLW
09-19-2015, 06:27 PM
I tried using Meg's Glass cleaner, Stoner's, and Optimum. I spray and clean with a waffle weave glass towel. This is the same thing I do on my other vehicles with no problems.

Well when you drop those names, something is definitely awry but a picture is worth a thousand words. Maybe the towel used has residues from a detergent?

oldmodman
09-19-2015, 06:38 PM
Did your car come from the factory with a "fog eliminator" option for the front windshield?

I don't know too much about them but I do remember that someone else had problems with the surface coating (it is electrically conductive) making the inner surface difficult to clean.
And once damaged the windshield had to be replaced.

I could never figure out why anyone would want something like that since I have always been satisfied with the defroster. Then I read a report about why it was created in the first place. Instant defrosting, way before the engine would produce enough heat to warm the defrost air.

AnthonyGXP
09-19-2015, 06:47 PM
Alcohol and a magic eraser.

DogRescuer
09-19-2015, 07:14 PM
Light polish

conman1395
09-19-2015, 07:50 PM
You can try a polish like has been suggested or any Cerium Oxide polish (CarPro Ceriglass for example). I've never used it, but I've seen people talk about Duragloss Nu-Glass positively as well.

boostedmoose003
09-19-2015, 08:40 PM
I thought it my be the towel at first because I used one I have been using for a bit and changed it to a new one and still the same. It's only on the exterior as well on my s2000. I usually never have a problem with windows but this has me baffled. I'll see if I can get a picture tomorrow if a fine polish doesn't do anything. Should I try a mild clay before going to a polish?

Rob4092xx
09-19-2015, 11:00 PM
Do you drive it on the freeway much? Idle on the freeway in heavy traffic? If so, try not to drive behind city buses, semi-truck's, etc. They spew raw diesel out the exhaust when under load (heavy acceleration). The diesel gets on your windshield and makes it smeary and difficult to clean.

DaveBa
09-19-2015, 11:22 PM
Are you sure the film remains after you clean, or does it come back as soon as you drive your car?

A couple of thoughts...
First, years ago I had a car where, after cleaning, the interior windshield would fog up as you describe. Turns out, there was a leak in the heating system. I barely smelled any antifreeze, but a film appeared on the interior of the windshield. I would clean the windshield only to have the film re-appear as soon as I drove it. Once I fixed the leak, the film didn't reappear.
Second, I've read and heard that, on a new car, there may be an outgassing of chemicals from the vinyl and plastics in the interior, which could cause the same problem.

boostedmoose003
09-19-2015, 11:23 PM
Do you drive it on the freeway much? Idle on the freeway in heavy traffic? If so, try not to drive behind city buses, semi-truck's, etc. They spew raw diesel out the exhaust when under load (heavy acceleration). The diesel gets on your windshield and makes it smeary and difficult to clean.

No I do not. It's mostly a weekend car that rarely sees any highway use.

boostedmoose003
09-19-2015, 11:24 PM
Are you sure the film remains after you clean, or does it come back as soon as you drive your car?

A couple of thoughts...
First, years ago I had a car where, after cleaning, the interior windshield would fog up as you describe. Turns out, there was a leak in the heating system. I barely smelled any antifreeze, but a film appeared on the interior of the windshield. I would clean the windshield only to have the film re-appear as soon as I drove it. Once I fixed the leak, the film didn't reappear.
Second, I've read and heard that, on a new car, there may be an outgassing of chemicals from the vinyl and plastics in the interior, which could cause the same problem.

This is exterior only on the car.

TheAverageMan
09-20-2015, 12:42 AM
Plastic razor blades, and a lot of glass cleaner as lube. I use Zep Ammonia free cleaner. Had a friends windshield that was like a 1995 Ford something. He got it used, hardcore beater, dirties windshields ever. The film on it was so thick that it was as if someone sprayed it with wax, and threw powdered dirt onto the windshield. He asked me to clean the inside a bit, basically throw away a ton of trash. Did that, and I didn't want to have a bro go into Winter with hazardous windshields.

Busted out the plastic razors, and emptied a bottle of glass cleaner onto it, while scrapping it back and forth. Wiped a lot, and put some Rain X on it. For a trashed car, the windshield looks super clear, minus the chips on it. Got the idea/technique from Ammo NYC, lemee find his video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4WwOrkgXlc

Paul A.
09-20-2015, 08:40 AM
I like DG Nu Glass as conman mentioned for exterior glass cleaning. I don't use it that often as i don't really need an intensive ext glass cleaner that often on my car but when confronted by tougher glass conditions on client cars and after a wash and clay i'll hit it with Nu Glass with my PC and a white pad. Relatively quick and very effective.