PDA

View Full Version : Flex 3401 and D151

Pages : [1] 2

ngonzi
09-19-2015, 03:20 PM
I've been doing aio's with my 3401 and D151 and ether and white light polishing or gray finishing pad. I'm running the flex on speed 4. The problem in having is at the 2nd to 3rd pass the product is drying up. I'm try to get 4 good passes. I get good correction for an aio but feel it could be better if I had more work time. I texted spraying the pad with water but the product still drys up by the 4th pass. Is the flex to much for the d151?

WaxMaster1
09-19-2015, 03:35 PM
I've been doing aio's with my 3401 and D151 and ether and white light polishing or gray finishing pad. I'm running the flex on speed 4. The problem in having is at the 2nd to 3rd pass the product is drying up. I'm try to get 4 good passes. I get good correction for an aio but feel it could be better if I had more work time. I texted spraying the pad with water but the product still drys up by the 4th pass. Is the flex to much for the d151?

Are you priming the pad first? How much product are you putting on after priming the pad if doing so? I've used Meguiar's AIO #6 with my Flex and got pretty good results at 4 passes without drying up.

AGOatemywallet
09-19-2015, 09:19 PM
What temperature is the paint?

Are you running a fan?

A Craftsman never blames his tools

ngonzi
09-19-2015, 09:27 PM
Are you priming the pad first? How much product are you putting on after priming the pad if doing so? I've used Meguiar's AIO #6 with my Flex and got pretty good results at 4 passes without drying up.

I'm priming the pad. I use about 5 pea size drops.

ngonzi
09-19-2015, 09:28 PM
What temperature is the paint?

Are you running a fan?

A Craftsman never blames his tools

Today about 70 in the garage. Last car was low 60. So no fans

ngonzi
09-19-2015, 09:31 PM

AGOatemywallet
09-19-2015, 10:59 PM

Looks Great for an AIO

But, beware...D151 does fill some, so after two washes...it will not look as good

mwoolfso
09-20-2015, 05:56 AM

You didn't mention how large your work area is. It should be no more than 2' x 2'. If you are within bounds then shorten the work area or just add more product to the pad.

ngonzi
09-21-2015, 08:18 PM
I've been under 2x2

AGOatemywallet
09-21-2015, 08:44 PM
4 passes with an AIO?

IMO AIO is two passes max

If you are doing four passes...why not do 3 passes with M205 and then apply a good sealant with your PC?

You will get more correction and a longer lasting LSP

Natron
09-21-2015, 10:09 PM
Try a light mist of water on the section when it gets dry. With a little practice, you won't even need to stop polishing. I like a smaller light weight bottle. Nathan

GSKR
09-21-2015, 10:48 PM
D151 doesn't have a long working time it starts to flash quick d151 is more of a production type product .not correction they are many factors involved such as heat pads was the car warm perhaps not enough product etc . To much pressure and product for a small area maybe pads to soft are the pads caking on u .if using some kind of lube for extended work time making the d151 dry to much speed on the machine to many factors

Audios S6
09-21-2015, 11:49 PM
I've only used a sample of D151, about 8oz total, so take this FWIW:

I find it does flash pretty quick. But the nature of the product is for working faster than a dedicated polish. If you are doing slow passes (like 1" per second) then you will probably only get 2 passes in. I tend to work my sections faster when doing an AIO. Afterall, major correction is not the goal. Judging by your photo, you are getting pretty good correction, which tells me your section passes are slow.

So many variables to play with to fine tune this. If that level of correction from an AIO is your goal and you want to stick with D151, then consider a couple thing (some you may already be doing, but in wasn't clear in your posts or I just didn't read it well enough).

1.Work a smaller area than 2x2.
2.Use 6" pads instead of 5" or vice versa; in general, try a different pad size. Smaller will get slightly better correction when moving the polisher a little faster. Larger pad covers more area faster.
3.Bump up your pad aggressiveness 1 notch.
4.Prime your pad with pad conditioner (I think M34 is a popular option with megs polishes) or a little mineral oil (this can leave some streaking if too much is used and will affect durability). 5.Add a little extra product midway through your section passes (I think this is Tato's variation on the Smack Method using the 3401, so I shall coin it the Tato Method, Modified Tato Method or MTM)
6. Use a bit less pressure when working the product.

If you are willing to switch products, consider HD speed instead of D151.

sweatthedetails
09-25-2015, 09:33 PM
I have noticed that you want to use more product when working with 151. Don't know why but it tends to come out better when using what I would normally think as "too much".

www.JaxDetails.com
www.facebook.com/DentsAndDetails
I may be slow, but I do poor work.

Audios S6
09-25-2015, 10:40 PM
I have noticed that you want to use more product when working with 151. Don't know why but it tends to come out better when using what I would normally think as "too much".

Jacksonville Auto Detailing - Home (http://www.JaxDetails.com)
www.facebook.com/DentsAndDetails
I may be slow, but I do poor work.

Do you find that your pads gum up quick for you when you do that? Or are you toeing the line with what is actually too much product for D151?