PDA

View Full Version : How much money for big rig detailing job

texasrangers
09-19-2015, 02:57 PM
Hi all, I'm new to this website. I have recently been called by a Mack/Volvo dealer for an interview as a detailer. My experience is 4 years of working at a Chevy dealership so I have never done big rig work before. My question is if they ask me in the interview how much I want, I'm not sure what to say. This will be an hourly position. Should I say 14/15 or more or less? Also this will only be for a few months as I start up my own auto detailing business. Thanks.

MikeLW
09-19-2015, 03:16 PM
Big rig detailing is a little different animal than automotive. Less about the details. A lot of pressure washing, steam cleaning, and running a few microfiber rags over some dashboards and crevices. Not alot of precision involved, like you would provide on a car. Out here in Portland they get around 11-12 an hour to start. I would get hired and move your way up to a painters helper as fast as you can, and LEARN as much as you can then become a painter. Painters make the big bucks out of all the collision industry oocupations.

EWtheDETAILER
09-19-2015, 08:57 PM
If your experienced with high polishing aluminum you will be much more valued in the big rig industry. A lot of big money is spent on semi's!

EWtheDETAILER
09-19-2015, 08:59 PM
Check out my recent show and shine post of a Kenworth semi we detailed.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/showthread.php?t=94394

Detailing by M
09-22-2015, 02:01 PM
They will pay you way less then your worth. I wouldn't do it. But if you do just accept the pay they give you, use it as a paid learning experience and then move on when you get sick of it.

smithryan8
11-19-2015, 10:06 AM
If this job is just for a couple months i strongly agree with the above member. Use it as paid learning experience as you haven't done big rig detailing as you mentioned & it is very different a lot more single stage paints & gel coats a lot more metal polishing as well.

that way when you do open up your own business you can offer packages/services to the big rig community!