PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Interior between Full Details

spewking
09-19-2015, 07:01 AM
I want to hear your process and products used on the interior for quick clean ups between full details.

I just did a complete cleaning on my G35....Ultima Interior Shampoo Gel for carpet and plastics, 303 Guard on carpet, UIPG on plastics, leather masters system on seats and leather trim, and Meguires Glass Cleaner. Headliner vacuumed and spotted. Mats scrubbed and protected with 303.

So I want to know the quick upkeep steps and products everyone uses for the light upkeep in between full details. I am not sure what products I should use on the plastics and leathers. Do you use anything at all? Do you Prime an MF towel lightly with a product that helps remove dust and light smudges? Is there an upkeep routine for leathers?

Sorry if this is a dumb question -- I'm stumped about the best approach to keep it looking good between full details.

Thanks much....

LSNAutoDetailing
09-19-2015, 07:45 AM
I want to hear your process and products used on the interior for quick clean ups between full details.

I just did a complete cleaning on my G35....Ultima Interior Shampoo Gel for carpet and plastics, 303 Guard on carpet, UIPG on plastics, leather masters system on seats and leather trim, and Meguires Glass Cleaner. Headliner vacuumed and spotted. Mats scrubbed and protected with 303.

So I want to know the quick upkeep steps and products everyone uses for the light upkeep in between full details. I am not sure what products I should use on the plastics and leathers. Do you use anything at all? Do you Prime an MF towel lightly with a product that helps remove dust and light smudges? Is there an upkeep routine for leathers?

Sorry if this is a dumb question -- I'm stumped about the best approach to keep it looking good between full details.

Thanks much....

So, now that we've covered cleaning the exterior between major washing... :props:

If it's not bad, it's a vacuum, wipe the dash, vinyl and all plastic/vinyl parts down with either APC or Pinnacle Vinyl / Leather cleaner, condition the leather with Pinnacle Leather Conditioner, treat the dash, doors and all plastic/vinyl parts with Pinnacle Vinyl/Rubber protectant. Clean the glass with your favorite glass cleaner, clean the gauges with a plastic-non-glare-safe product such as Megs PlastX, or some eyeglass cleaner with the eyeglass wipes. (safe for non-glare coated lenses).

f4780y
09-19-2015, 10:07 AM
For a quick interior detail, I keep the following products in my Dodo Juice trunk bag (along with a small selection of microfibres):

Carpro PERL @ 5:1 dilution for the Leather
Carpro Eraser for the Glass
Adam's Total Interior Detail Spray for all other surfaces

followed up with a quick vacuum with my handheld dust buster lithium :)

spewking
09-20-2015, 08:21 AM
So, now that we've covered cleaning the exterior between major washing... :props:

If it's not bad, it's a vacuum, wipe the dash, vinyl and all plastic/vinyl parts down with either APC or Pinnacle Vinyl / Leather cleaner, condition the leather with Pinnacle Leather Conditioner, treat the dash, doors and all plastic/vinyl parts with Pinnacle Vinyl/Rubber protectant. Clean the glass with your favorite glass cleaner, clean the gauges with a plastic-non-glare-safe product such as Megs PlastX, or some eyeglass cleaner with the eyeglass wipes. (safe for non-glare coated lenses).

Paul g....you're on to me....:xyxthumbs:...just trying to keep it looking good all the time and avoiding the cycle of full detail then nothing then full again, etc.

Thanks. So I guess the cleaner and protectant routine is the way to go....thanks.

Let me offer a new finding. I am going to write up my experience with leather masters. I am shocked at the level of cleaning and performance with this family of products. Most surprisingly, the leather feels natural with its normal graininess while also being supple and clean.

I have not done a comparison with pinnacle and have those products to try as well, but the LM is the best stuff I've used.

David

BillyJack
09-20-2015, 09:17 AM
My favorite interior AIO is Optimum's Opticlean. It's great on any non-fabric surface, including clear plastics and touch screens. There's always a small spray bottle in my console along with a small mf cloth, as areas like the leather-wrapped steering wheel, console lid and shifter get refreshed regularly, sometimes when I'm waiting to pick up someone, or even in a traffic jam. It cleans all but the nastiest dirt and leaves a finish much like 303, as in you know something's there, but it's not extremely slippery or glossy. I'll do a full interior detail in the spring, including LM on the seats, but normally go all spring and summer with just OC, window cleaner and vacuum. For the wife and daughter's cars, that don't get maintained as often, Meguiar's QID is another good product for a periodic freshen-up. I still have my "winter beater" mats in this shot, but you can see that my interior color is not a forgiving one.
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee388/kaminokids/Lacrosse/IMG_2029.jpg

Bill

wdmaccord
09-20-2015, 11:01 AM
Unless you get your car really dirty inside between major details, you are only going to have mostly dust. I will typically just wipe down all the plastics with a dry MF and it picks up the dust and holds it due to the static properties of MF. I will fully clean/protect my leather armrest in the summer a few times because I wear short sleeves, so that is getting body oils on it regularly.

I might hit the sill plastics with a wet (water) MF then re-protect since those tend to get the shoes dragged across them...or break out the APC if they get really dirty between full details.

Rmd
09-20-2015, 12:33 PM
A few quick sprays of Meg's quick interior Detailer on a MF towel works great for quick wipe down. Smells good too.

frankprozzoly
09-20-2015, 12:44 PM
I've simplified things with 114. I'm using 114 for almost everything. I'll either use leather masters or zaino. Leather in a bottle is pretty awesome

spewking
09-20-2015, 02:33 PM
A few quick sprays of Meg's quick interior Detailer on a MF towel works great for quick wipe down. Smells good too.

Thanks. Is that a light cleaner, e.g., one that wouldn't mess up the deep cleaning and protectant I had done before?

BillE
09-21-2015, 07:09 AM
Daily: Zoom thru the interior with one of the little Swifters. That keeps the big stuff at bay.

Then come 'wash day': Swifter, QID, vac and windows.

Works for me at least.

Bill