PDA

View Full Version : 'Must Haves' for Wheel/Tire/Wheel Well detailing

Lustrous Detail
09-18-2015, 01:48 PM
Aloha.

My past two details has been one of the toughest for me, esp. the wheels and wheel wells. I got various brushes and cleaners (degreasers, APC's and Adams Deep Wheel Cleaner) that can get the job done, its just very time consuming and physically draining. I did an Audi and the wheels were so bad that I had to go over it 3 times because all the brake dust and baked on grime/dirt would not come off. Actually did not get it completely cleaned up, maybe about 85% done. Most of which are on the barrels of the rim.

Any advice/suggestions on products/tools I should invest in?

AnthonyGXP
09-18-2015, 01:53 PM
Speed Master, Meg's Wheel Brightener or DUB wheel cleaner, short and long handle green bristle brushes avail. here at AG, wheel woolies, 1" detail brush, and Tuff Shine tire brush......OH, and Meg's Super Degreaser. DWELL TIME OF CLEANERS!

AGOatemywallet
09-18-2015, 02:02 PM
Step One:

Tell us what chemicals, tools and techniques you used in your attempt

swanicyouth
09-18-2015, 02:03 PM
If I was detailing for a living, I'd be using a lot of Wheel Brite. Darren from Auto Fetish (You Tube) seems like a pretty successful detailer, and recommends this stuff as a huge time saver.

Of course, everyone will creep out of the wood work and say it damages wheels. I don't believe that is so if you use it correctly on cool wheels. Not to mention it's dirt cheap.

99monguse
09-18-2015, 02:04 PM
I would recommend wheels woolie assortment and 3 Speedmaster brushes and bend one brush at 90 degrees and leave it bent...this way you won't snap the metal from being constantly bent back and forth.

JSou
09-18-2015, 02:48 PM
Heavy Duty Brush Drill attachment/Wheel Woolies + Cordless Drill = Win

Some wheels may require more time and different chemicals. Claying, Steam, etc.

Goin Rogue
09-18-2015, 02:56 PM
I use Megs Non Acid or Wheel Brightener. Then I use wheel whoolies and Daytona brushes, large and small. For tires I use the Tuf Shine brush.

oldmodman
09-18-2015, 03:30 PM
First tools to use.

A jack and a lug wrench to remove the wheels.

Then clean the well, and the wheel. Use the products suggested above, they are all quite good.

haris300
09-18-2015, 03:33 PM
I would recommend wheels woolie assortment and 3 Speedmaster brushes and bend one brush at 90 degrees and leave it bent...this way you won't snap the metal from being constantly bent back and forth.

Great advice. Those flexible wire stems break very easily.

VISITOR
09-18-2015, 03:46 PM
tire brush, lug not brush, Daytona speed master wheel brush, and a short/long handle fender brush and/or wheel woolies/wheel brush), wheel wash mitt mitt (can also be used around painted areas around the wheel wells/tires without getting your normal wash media dirty)...
http://ep.yimg.com/ay/autogeek/low-profile-tire-brush-1.gifhttp://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2271_134737630http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2267_61111692http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2270_96664391http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2271_93669285http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2271_97491434http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2272_187753579

Hoytman
09-18-2015, 04:26 PM
A product that used to get a lot of attention here, back around 2011 and maybe even earlier, that isn't mentioned very much anymore is Flash Brown Royal.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/43233-flash-brown-royal-wheel-cleaner.html

Hoytman
09-18-2015, 04:58 PM
About Brown Royal, NON-ACID and Biodegradable

...a message from the owner.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe, owner of Flash

Hi xxxx,

How about we do a 10% discount with no minimum order. Therefore The group can order a 32 oz Brown Royal etc. Kellie processes all of the internet orders and runs our retail store. She has a lot on her plate. This will be easier for her and less confusing for all. Also. The shipping may seem high for some people because the shipping is determined by the weight of the package. One gallon of Brown Royal wheel cleaner weighs 9 + pounds. Our products are heavy because they have a lot of solids in them (concentrated). It does not pay to ship water. We give our consumers products that they can dilute. Many chemical companies wont do that. They want to sell you a RTU (ready to use) product. Therefore you pay shipping for a watered down product.

We receive the cheapest prices from UPS. Business to business will yield a cheaper rate. Kellie is constantly comparing shipping rates between UPS and USPS. By the time you apply insurance and a tracking number thru USPS it comes out to more money or the same amount for small packages. For heavy packages UPS ground is the cheapest way to go. I also wont go into our packaging costs, boxes, bags, tape, packing etc. So if any of your members are discouraged about the shipping. Just remember, they will receive a high quality, super concentrated product that will last them a while. Thanks very much for believing in our products. You can post this message on the forum if you like. Take care.

Joe
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe

Brown Royal Wheel Cleaner Dilution Ratios

This topic will fully explain how to dilute Brown Royal Wheel Cleaner for various cleaning applications.

How to measure dilution ratios. Dilution ratios can be confusing. Here is an easy way to dilute Brown Royal.

Ratio at 1:3. 1 part Brown Royal to 3 parts water. If you are using a 32 ounce container.
1:3 ratio = 8oz BR to 24oz of water. Or 1:8 = 2-3oz of BR to 29 oz of water.

Ratio at 1:3. 1 part Brown Royal to 3 parts water. If you are using a 16 ounce container.
1:3 ratio= 4 oz BR to 12 oz of water. Or 1:8 = 1-2 oz of BR to 14 oz of water.

If you dont want to measure dilution ratios you can easily eye the ratio. If you can eye a one inch measurement it will equal 4 ounces.
1 inch = 4 oz in a 32 oz container. Or you can measure in parts. The higher the dilution ratio, the larger the container or less product and more water to add to the container. Dilution ratios are more of a Math calculation.

Neglected silver clear coated /Chrome wheels- Heavy baked on brake dust. Use full strength or dilute 1:1. Spray generously on wheel and tire. Dwell time 2 minutes on a cool wheel. Hose rinse or Self serve car wash pressure washer recommended for rinsing. May have to agitate for various wheels. Depending on wheel surface.

Maintained silver clear coated /Chrome wheels- Moderate brake dust. Dilute Brown Royal 1:3. Dwell time up to 3 minutes on a cool wheel. Hose rinse or Self serve car wash pressure washer recommended for rinsing.

Vehicle surfaces- Bugs, Tar, Tree sap, Mud and contaminates- Dilute Brown Royal 1:8. Spray on surface (not on a hot surface in the shade). Use a wash mitt or a sponge and agitate surface of vehicle. Rinse with hose or pressure washer. Can also use Brown Royal for bucket washing on vehicle surface. Add 16 ounces of Brown Royal to 1 gallon of water in a wash bucket.

Vehicle engines, Transmissions, under carriage oil leaks, grease cleaning- Use Brown Royal full strength or dilute 1:1. Dwell time 3-5 minutes. May have to agitate for heavy grease areas. Rinse with high pressure water. Will not harm service labels in engine bay.

Brown Royal can be a touch free cleaner in various situations. For example. Moderate brake dust. Wheels that have a good smooth clear coat surface, or using a pressure washer. Brown Royal suspends the brake dust and the water pressure removes it.

Brown Royal is not just a wheel cleaner. It is a Superior Degreaser and a non-acid wheel cleaner. Brown Royal can also be used on tile, floor cleaning, bathtubs and various household cleaning applications. Brown Royal does all.

SKorch630
09-18-2015, 05:48 PM
I've used DUB with great results. AAP has it on sale from time to time for 2/$10. Various wheel brushes, and a pressure wash before/after, really saves me time.