PDA

View Full Version : Some Advice Please!

Hammer77
09-18-2015, 08:49 AM
Hi everyone! I've been lurking here for awhile, this is my first post and would like some advice. For a couple decades I have always took really good care of my vehicles, wash and wax kind of guy. In the beginning of August I bought a new car, on the lot it was dirty, and after buying it the dealership prepped it, sort of, I think they did more damage than good. Lots of swirls. So a week after I got it I hand polished it with Meguiars Ultimate Polish, and hand applied Ultimate Liquid Wax. The results were pretty good. Since then regular washes and Ultimate Spray Wax.

I still notice very light swirls and such, its driving me crazy. I found Autogeek and have spent a lot of time reading, watching videos. I am getting ready for in a couple weeks to unleash hell I got my weekend planned.

This is what I bought so far
1. Griot's Garage 6" Orbital Polisher
2. Pads Griots Garage 6.5", 2 Orange Correcting, 2 Black Finishing, 1 Red Waxing pad
3. Wolfgang Polish
4. Wolfgang Fuzion . Got in on the $50 deal.

What else do I need? I want to be as gentle as possible. I am a bit nervous! I want a good look, but also what to protect it for the Michigan winter. Here are some questions.

1. Wheels- Whats a good wheel cleaner, something that won't hurt my factory wheels, also would you recommend a coating? If so which ones?

2. Paint- Are the pads that came with the package I got okay? Should I use something different? Do I need more? I was thinking of going Wolfgang polish, sealant, Fuzion. Is that overkill, I have the time to do it also the curing time. Should I follow that with a paint coating? Maybe I am over thinking this.

Thank you for reading, and the input in advance. I know I am missing a few things, so if you have questions for me please bring them to my attention.

Dave

Bunky
09-18-2015, 06:53 PM
What Wolfgang polish did you get? I am not sure how long you worked the Meguiars Ultimate but with a DA you should be able to handle a lot of situations. If you are not getting results it is because of technique not anything you now have.

dlc95
09-18-2015, 07:13 PM
I agree with Bunky. The Ultimate line can handle a lot, especially with a machine.

vobro
09-18-2015, 07:51 PM
I'd try the Megs Ultimate Compound for the more severe swirls,clay bar,QUALITY microfiber towels and wash media. Most important is to read as much as possible on this forum on how to properly wash and dry to maintain after your correction work.

Hammer77
09-20-2015, 04:40 AM
Thanks for the replies, sorry it has been a busy weekend, have guests from out of town.

I bought the Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer, because in the description it says it helps with light swirls, and gently cleans and gets the paint ready for wax and sealant. The swirls I have now after the hand applied Meguiars polish are very light, most of the time I can't see them in good sunlight, however every Thursday night about 10:30 pm on my way to work I always fill up at the same gas station. Under the canopy lights that's when I see some here and there. I am confident the first time I polish with the machine they will be gone. I would like to make sure I got the right pads, and number of pads for the job?

As far as technique goes, I am confident it that as well, I have watched all Mike Phillip's videos I can find, even the hour long ones. Have read for about 6 weeks now. I was taught how to use a orbital 20 years ago, you know the ones that have just an on switch, no speed settings, motor on top, two handles on the sides. Just used bonnets, I was 18 at the time, the guy that taught me was 65 or so. So I always thought I knew something about detailing, but then some weeks ago I found this forum, my opinion changed, I am learning a ton!

So for some reason the foam pads just got me a little nervous. As far as maintaining I got that, buckets, grit guards, quality microfiber!

So what do think of my pad situation do I need something different, or more of?

Also what do you think a good wheel sealant would be for someone new to using them I have looked at them all, just hard to pick one.

Thanks again!

AnthonyGXP
09-20-2015, 05:18 AM
Thanks for the replies, sorry it has been a busy weekend, have guests from out of town.

I bought the Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer, because in the description it says it helps with light swirls, and gently cleans and gets the paint ready for wax and sealant. The swirls I have now after the hand applied Meguiars polish are very light, most of the time I can't see them in good sunlight, however every Thursday night about 10:30 pm on my way to work I always fill up at the same gas station. Under the canopy lights that's when I see some here and there. I am confident the first time I polish with the machine they will be gone. I would like to make sure I got the right pads, and number of pads for the job?

As far as technique goes, I am confident it that as well, I have watched all Mike Phillip's videos I can find, even the hour long ones. Have read for about 6 weeks now. I was taught how to use a orbital 20 years ago, you know the ones that have just an on switch, no speed settings, motor on top, two handles on the sides. Just used bonnets, I was 18 at the time, the guy that taught me was 65 or so. So I always thought I knew something about detailing, but then some weeks ago I found this forum, my opinion changed, I am learning a ton!

So for some reason the foam pads just got me a little nervous. As far as maintaining I got that, buckets, grit guards, quality microfiber!

So what do think of my pad situation do I need something different, or more of?

Also what do you think a good wheel sealant would be for someone new to using them I have looked at them all, just hard to pick one.

Thanks again!

Please don't fall for the "special" wheel sealant! Use the sealant or wax that you'll be using on your paint and your set.

If you choose to purchase a "wheel" sealant, you'll be purchasing nothing more than MARKETING!

Billy Baldone
09-20-2015, 05:36 AM
What machine are you using? What pads do you have?

Bunky
09-20-2015, 05:40 AM
The wolfgang is really a pre-wax cleaner and not likely remove the swirls. You may need to go back over areas to work certain areas with the Meguiars however some may be too deep.

Hammer77
09-20-2015, 06:01 AM
Thanks for the tip GXP. Will do!

Billy I got a Griot's Garage 6" Orbital Polisher
Pads Griots Garage 6.5", 2 Orange Correcting, 2 Black Finishing, 1 Red Waxing pad

Bunky thanks for clarifying that for me, I just read about the product, never used it.

Thanks for the input!

DragonHawk
09-21-2015, 04:52 AM
I think after you get your machine the Ultimate compound will obliterate those remaining swirls with those orange pads. You may want to try Ultimate Polish first. Always go for the least aggressive method that works. What color did you say the car is?