PDA

View Full Version : More aggressive compound or pad?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Ztandem
09-17-2015, 06:43 PM
Today was the first time I did any polishing, and it's the first time that my bright red BMW got polished.
Starting with a orange pad, I used the Wolfgang swirl remover. I did two sets of passes on the trunk area. It definitely eliminated most of the swirls, but not all. I then used Meg 205, and did two set of passes with the same results.
Since this is the first time I'm doing any polishing, I'm glad that it did turn out better. But, I'm thinking I need a compound that is a little more aggressive, and not a more aggressive pad.
Feed back please

Rsurfer
09-17-2015, 06:48 PM
Today was the first time I did any polishing, and it's the first time that my bright red BMW got polished.
Starting with a orange pad, I used the Wolfgang swirl remover. I did two sets of passes on the trunk area. It definitely eliminated most of the swirls, but not all. I then used Meg 205, and did two set of passes with the same results.
Since this is the first time I'm doing any polishing, I'm glad that it did turn out better. But, I'm thinking I need a compound that is a little more aggressive, and not a more aggressive pad.
Feed back please

Maybe a few more passes with Wolfgang before stepping up to a more aggressive compound. No point in going to 205 if you were not pleased with the swirl removal. 205 is a finishing polish and will not remove what WSR did not.
Always do a test section before doing the entire car.

Ztandem
09-17-2015, 07:06 PM
When I did a test section, it did look better. I didn't do the test section twice. Since I'm a rookie, I really didn't apply any pressure to the buffer.
Maybe using the WSR with a little pressure would do the trick.

Rsurfer
09-17-2015, 07:20 PM
When I did a test section, it did look better. I didn't do the test section twice. Since I'm a rookie, I really didn't apply any pressure to the buffer.
Maybe using the WSR with a little pressure would do the trick.

Yes, 15lbs of pressure will help a lot and slow arm speed (1 inch per second) :props:

Ztandem
09-17-2015, 07:32 PM
Yes, 15lbs of pressure will help a lot and slow arm speed (1 inch per second) :props:

Would the same thing apply to using the finishing glaze also?

Rsurfer
09-17-2015, 07:41 PM
Would the same thing apply to using the finishing glaze also?

You can let up a bit on the final polish. Most if not all the swirls should be gone and your finishing glaze is just cleaning up some haze that your compound might have left behind.

Ztandem
09-17-2015, 07:52 PM
You can let up a bit on the final polish. Most if not all the swirls should be gone and your finishing glaze is just cleaning up some haze that your compound might have left behind.

Thanks! I'll get out my elbow grease when I do the hood next.

Paul A.
09-18-2015, 06:06 AM
I finally realized an operational nuance some years ago. I was always motivated to use the least aggressive but MOST EFFECTIVE paint leveling approach. Back in the day i would do a test spot and would find i was removing maybe 60% of the marring. Dang, i need something more aggressive! Nope. Once i thought about it i realized THIS pad and THIS PRODUCT is working! Maybe another few passes and maybe more pressure would give me what i was wanting.

Maybe a second attempt at another test spot and more pressure for the initial passes and bam! Or maybe just one more attempt on that test section with the same pad and product and bam!

dlc95
09-18-2015, 11:36 AM
I finally realized an operational nuance some years ago. I was always motivated to use the least aggressive but MOST EFFECTIVE paint leveling approach. Back in the day i would do a test spot and would find i was removing maybe 60% of the marring. Dang, i need something more aggressive! Nope. Once i thought about it i realized THIS pad and THIS PRODUCT is working! Maybe another few passes and maybe more pressure would give me what i was wanting.

Maybe a second attempt at another test spot and more pressure for the initial passes and bam! Or maybe just one more attempt on that test section with the same pad and product and bam!

That's a very true statement. I've done the exact same thing. Sometimes even changing the amount of liquid I put on the pad gave me the results I wanted.

Sometimes we get ahead of ourselves, and rush to find the "silver bullet" that does what we want, when we want. Sometimes the answer is right there in our hands, and we don't even see it.

Ztandem
09-22-2015, 08:04 PM
Today, I did the trunk again, and the hood for the first time.
This time I used my 15 pounds of elbow grease. That was the only difference. The swirls are almost completely gone. I'm going to do the hood again, after my arms recover.
I did half of the hood with the WG finishing glaze. To me, the other half of the hood looks less cloudy without it.

GSKR
09-22-2015, 09:54 PM
I know your starting out ,a rotary would be a option for a perfect finish .Da has limitations don't get me wrong a da can give u awesome results.i was never a da guy till mike Phillips introduced all kinds of da machines.now I use them everyday ,I like to keep things simple and clean no swirls and most of all no product sling.applying wax is so simple with a da. I encourage anyone thinking of getting one the meguairs gv110 is nice and light doesn't get hot and minimum vibrations.I had to wet sand 20000 square foot wood floors and it never let me down.

Joe@NextLevelDetail
09-22-2015, 11:24 PM
Never jump to polish and hope that they will come out in that step.

do a few more section passes. and get the swirls out.

also if you see little circular swirls, that could be from your compound, do not try to chase those out with compound ,as that is what is causing those marks in the first place.

the polish will get those out!

compound is nothing without polish and polish is nothing without compound.

they really are the Jordan and Scottie Pippen tag team!

Ztandem
09-22-2015, 11:47 PM
Never jump to polish and hope that they will come out in that step.

do a few more section passes. and get the swirls out.

also if you see little circular swirls, that could be from your compound, do not try to chase those out with compound ,as that is what is causing those marks in the first place.

the polish will get those out!

compound is nothing without polish and polish is nothing without compound.

they really are the Jordan and Scottie Pippen tag team!

No circular swirls, so I'm not making it worse. I will do the hood again.

Paul A.
09-23-2015, 05:54 AM
Its great to hear a little more pressure is doing the trick for you! And be comforted knowing you are only removing enough surface paint to level down those scratches...and not more than you need to. Also, you are the judge as to what you want the finished results to look like. WG glaze is an amazing product and i can say that from use however if after trying it on a test section you don't like the appearance of it, by all means, stop.

Ztandem
09-23-2015, 04:17 PM
Today, I did the drivers side. It did take two sets of passes. I had to do a section over the rear wheel three times. It looks great!
Again, I used the WG glaze on the front fender. And again, it looked a little cloudy. Not much, but noticeable to me. I wonder if I'm not working it long enough.
I then finished it with Pinnacle wax.
Since I have some Meg's 205, I try that when I do the other side of the car.