PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Zephyr Out Of Microfiber Pads?

dlc95
09-16-2015, 11:59 PM
I use the blue Rupes microfiber cutting pads in conjunction with Zephyr Gloss compound on the Duetto.

While this combination is deadly to swirls and horrendous paint defects, I have a difficult time getting the pads clean.

Yes, everything I use is a pain to get out, but Zephyr is by far the toughest.

I don't have compressed air. I use a pad conditioning brush to revive the fibers, a microfiber towel to clean on the fly, and CG pad cleaner that is spray diluted on my pads after the job is done.

Just seems that the Zephyr doesn't want to be washed off....?

Anyone else use this combination?

Todd@RUPES
09-17-2015, 04:37 PM
I use the blue Rupes microfiber cutting pads in conjunction with Zephyr Gloss compound on the Duetto.

While this combination is deadly to swirls and horrendous paint defects, I have a difficult time getting the pads clean.

Yes, everything I use is a pain to get out, but Zephyr is by far the toughest.

I don't have compressed air. I use a pad conditioning brush to revive the fibers, a microfiber towel to clean on the fly, and CG pad cleaner that is spray diluted on my pads after the job is done.

Just seems that the Zephyr doesn't want to be washed off....?

Anyone else use this combination?

Very strange, I have never ever had a problem getting Zephyr out of microfiber, so I don't know of how much help I can be. I will certainly try.

With compressed air and enough time, I can blow the pad completely out and it is nearly like-new clean. However, if this isn't an option, I would suggest this....

Spray the pad with APC (or BLACKFIRE pad cleaner) and use an old brush to agitate the solution. Dunk it in a small bucket of warm water and then brush it while it is under the water. All of the residue should release extremely fast.

Is this a problem for you on all paints?

dlc95
09-17-2015, 05:10 PM
Very strange, I have never ever had a problem getting Zephyr out of microfiber, so I don't know of how much help I can be. I will certainly try.

With compressed air and enough time, I can blow the pad completely out and it is nearly like-new clean. However, if this isn't an option, I would suggest this....

Spray the pad with APC (or BLACKFIRE pad cleaner) and use an old brush to agitate the solution. Dunk it in a small bucket of warm water and then brush it while it is under the water. All of the residue should release extremely fast.

Is this a problem for you on all paints?

Thanks, Todd!

Unfortunately yes, it is happening on all paints. Clear coat, and single stage.

I tried that method last night. One pad had the Zephyr, and one had M105.

While both were a challenge to remove, Zephyr didn't want to budge. I will try strengthening my cleaning solution, of completely moving to a dedicated all purpose cleaner.

Todd, who should I contact if I have hook and loop material separating from the core of the microfiber pads? I have a ton of blue microfiber cutting pads, and a few yellow. The ones separating appear to have a "Swiss cheese" appearance to the urethane core, as opposed to other pads in my stock that have a very smooth, rubber like appearance.