PDA

View Full Version : Packing nuts?

StangFan25
09-16-2015, 07:21 PM
Not really a complaint but was curious...in the past if you asked for not packing nuts in the comment box at checkout, they wouldn't use them. Has AG stopped this? Just got my order today and it had them, despite requesting to not use them. Again not a complaint as I know minor things happen, just wondering if that option is still available. Thanks!

custmsprty
09-16-2015, 07:49 PM
Not really a complaint but was curious...in the past if you asked for not packing nuts in the comment box at checkout, they wouldn't use them. Has AG stopped this? Just got my order today and it had them, despite requesting to not use them. Again not a complaint as I know minor things happen, just wondering if that option is still available. Thanks!

Yeah, that recently happened to me too.

banzaitoyota
09-16-2015, 08:16 PM
my latest order came with paper wrapping, much preferred over packing peanuts

TRDTACO
09-16-2015, 08:48 PM
I asked for the peanuts on a recent order and they used the paper instead. I much prefer the peanuts as UPS is extremely rough on anything delivered in my area. I dont know why everyone hates them, for the insurance they provide for my expensive detailing products I prefer them. Nothing worse than waiting anxiously for a week to receive my package and something is damaged inside!

PurpleTowel
09-16-2015, 09:11 PM
I dont know why everyone hates them, for the insurance they provide for my expensive detailing products I prefer them.

You would be a very small minority. They are awful. They make a huge mess, are impossible to contain, and pose problems for proper disposal. Don't get me started on the static.

my latest order came with paper wrapping, much preferred over packing peanuts

Mine, too, just this week. No preference given at checkout, and I was happy to see the paper. Much easier to recycle or reuse the paper packing materials.

StangFan25
09-16-2015, 09:29 PM
You would be a very small minority. They are awful. They make a huge mess, are impossible to contain, and pose problems for proper disposal. Don't get me started on the static.

Mine, too, just this week. No preference given at checkout, and I was happy to see the paper. Much easier to recycle or reuse the paper packing materials.

Exactly. I hate them, for the reasons you mentioned. And disposing of them is a big hassle.

wing commander
09-17-2015, 12:35 AM
Better to complain about peanuts than to complain about damaged goods! I do not like peanuts either but I really hate damaged products.

Desertnate
09-17-2015, 07:12 AM
I didn't even know I could request not having peanuts! Good to know.

My orders have been a mix. The most recent ones have all come with peanuts. I hate those things. I actually found the boxes to be packed tighter and everything was more secure with the paper packing material. The added bonus of the paper is it goes right in my recycling bin vs the huge mess disposing of the peanuts.

wdmaccord
09-17-2015, 08:06 AM
My last order a couple months ago I requested paper packing and got the paper. I'm sure it gets missed from time-to-time. There are humans packing these boxes. :) Autopia uses paper as default, so I am kind of surprised for efficiency, PBMG doesn't just use the same packing material across the company (and it seems paper would be the preferred method if you @autogeek guys/gals are reading). :dblthumb2:

PurpleTowel
09-17-2015, 09:50 AM
Better to complain about peanuts than to complain about damaged goods! I do not like peanuts either but I really hate damaged products.

Good point, but styrofoam packing peanuts doesn't automatically make a package safer. I have had get damaged before from item float in boxes that were too large and just filled with peanuts.

A good packing job with newsprint, airbags, foam or anything else should protect the contents from even the most aggressive shippers.

An old collector's rule of thumb for shipping is that after it's packaged, you should be willing to throw the box across the room and land on a hard floor. If you aren't willing to do that, you didn't pack it well enough.

All of the items I got this week were packed hard into the bottom corner of the box and then stuffed/surrounded with paper packing tight. That's good for keeping things from moving, but bad if the box falls on the heavy corner with all of the items in it (like gallons of liquid wax).

It just may be that PBMG might need to re-evaluate their packaging methods a touch.

custmsprty
09-17-2015, 11:19 AM

I have been selling packaging systems since 1991, just a note, peanuts offer inferior protection compared to the paper. Peanuts are referred to in my industry as "void fill ". They basically fill the voids, they do not how ever lock the product in place in the box like paper or air pillows do. Chances are better for damage to occur with peanuts compared to the paper void fill or air pillows. We do a demo with a clear box, we put product in the box with peanuts and shake it and you can see the product moving all around inside the box, so just imagine during the UPS delivery cycle.

That being said, I hate peanuts, they suck and they are not environmentally friendly. The ones that are, well if they get wet they ruin everything that they come into contact with. I remember getting a shipment from a company that used the starch peanuts and something leaked and they melted onto everything in the box.

Just alittle insight from a packaging guy.

Like most people here think about SEMA, I'll be going to Vegas on the 27th for this show, Pack Expo. I should have gone a day early as Barrett Jackson is that weekend.

PACK EXPO Las Vegas (http://www.packexpolasvegas.com/?gclid=CJu724W8_scCFVYUHwodyAcDDg)

Desertnate
09-17-2015, 11:47 AM
I have been selling packaging systems since 1991, just a note, peanuts offer inferior protection compared to the paper. Peanuts are referred to in my industry as "void fill ". They basically fill the voids, they do not how ever lock the product in place in the box like paper or air pillows do. Chances are better for damage to occur with peanuts compared to the paper void fill or air pillows. We do a demo with a clear box, we put product in the box with peanuts and shake it and you can see the product moving all around inside the box, so just imagine during the UPS delivery cycle.

I saw the same issues from a different perspective. At one time I was the postal officer for a military base in Europe. All of the packaging information we provided was to use material like cardboard or wadded up paper to pack goods in boxes...and pack them in good and tight.

Boxes using peanuts were almost guaranteed to be damaged or have the contents inside damaged. If you think boxes get abused just moving across the continental US, you should see what they look like by the time get to an overseas location, or vise verse!

DetailKitty
09-17-2015, 02:55 PM
Last 2 orders I've gotten have had the paper (thank goodness)