PDA

View Full Version : Paint protection selection questions

Temjin
09-16-2015, 07:09 AM
Hi guys,

I'm looking for some advises on what product I should be using to protect my paint on my "new" 2013 KIA Optima Grey.

A bit of background. I'm from Australia and purchased my first car, Hyundai i30, back in 2009. I brought Opticoat (1st gen) from AG and applied on it. Loved the product, but then I got lazy and hardly washed the car. :D

Judging from my laziness, I have a feeling I might do the same on this new car. However, I know you cannot buy a consumer grade "permanent" coating anymore, at least not from Opticoat. So I understand the need to spend a tid more time at it from now on.

I plan to sell this car again in 3 to 4 years, so a permanent coating applied from a professional detailer isn't as attractive anymore.

I need a product that can last at least 2 years and is reusable after opening as I would like to use it on another car that would be purchased in a few weeks time. Preference is not to use any booster.

Here are the products I've looked at so far.

CQ UK Ed - Available in Australia. Only enough for one car though for a 30 mm bottle. Not sure if it's reusable. Shelf life limited to less than 1 year.

Optimum Gloss-Coat (20cc version from AG) - Not sure on its durability. Not sure if I can use half of it and leave it for another car few weeks later.

Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating V2 - My 1st preference at the moment. Enough for several vehicles. Heard good reviews about it, though durability unknown as I presume it is rather new product. Description say last up to 3 years assuming without booster. I assume it is reusable and has a shelf life of at least 3-4 years+?

Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Surface Coating - Same as above, but quite expensive. Not sure if its paint protection ability is on par with Paint Coating V2. Though added advantage of using it on the glass (replaces Aquapel that I was planning to use) and used on wheels. However, 8 oz is way too much for me. Not sure if I could use them all before the shelf life expires. And who knows by then, there are more advanced coating products.

DP Paint Coat - Cheap, enough for several cars. Some mixed reviews on its durability and paint protection quality.

What do you guys recommend that I should use?

My plan is to stick with Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating V2 and NOT use any of its supporting products like the detailer and booster. Apply it once. Wash and maintain regularly (if possible). Clay, decontaminate and reapply coating again after 2 years.

In regards to the coating prep product, can I use the CarPro Eraser (can be purchased in Oz) instead of the Pinnacle Black Label Surface Cleansing Polish? My understanding is that I could also use the DP Coating Prep Polish?

Thanks guys!

whavens
09-16-2015, 07:50 AM
I have applied both the Optimum Gloss Coat and the Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating. The Gloss Coat, if left in the syringe should last between coatings with no problem. I had my 10 ml syringe for probably 9 months before I used it and had no problems. It still looks fine.

I applied the Optimum on my girlfriend's Mini Countryman two or three months ago and it is working fine. I just applied the PBL paint coating on my brother's Volvo this week and application was easy. I was able to knock down high spots on the hood (which I did first) after the whole car was completed. I didn't notice them until I pulled the car into the sun.

I prepped the Mini with the DP Coating Prep Polish and I used the Black Surface Cleansing Polish with the PBL. Both cars came out looking great.

Walter

:buffing:

mwoolfso
09-16-2015, 11:27 AM
I like you gut instinct;so go with it.

As for your prep product, Eraser is a cleaner; not a prep polish. If you use a coating prep product like DP or Pinnacle then you won't need Eraser. I'd call AGO and ask them if DP or Pinnacle are interchangeable.

Temjin
09-16-2015, 11:35 PM
I have applied both the Optimum Gloss Coat and the Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating. The Gloss Coat, if left in the syringe should last between coatings with no problem. I had my 10 ml syringe for probably 9 months before I used it and had no problems. It still looks fine.

I applied the Optimum on my girlfriend's Mini Countryman two or three months ago and it is working fine. I just applied the PBL paint coating on my brother's Volvo this week and application was easy. I was able to knock down high spots on the hood (which I did first) after the whole car was completed. I didn't notice them until I pulled the car into the sun.

I prepped the Mini with the DP Coating Prep Polish and I used the Black Surface Cleansing Polish with the PBL. Both cars came out looking great.

Walter

:buffing:

Thanks Walter. I don't doubt both products would look great after application. Just the durability of it that I'm more concerned about.

I like you gut instinct;so go with it.

As for your prep product, Eraser is a cleaner; not a prep polish. If you use a coating prep product like DP or Pinnacle then you won't need Eraser. I'd call AGO and ask them if DP or Pinnacle are interchangeable.

Hah thanks. It's more to do with lots of reading and looking at the pros and cons relative to my needs.

Ok, I will probably go for the safer side and use the Pinnacle for the coating prep.

I will stick with the PBLDPC V2 instead of the surface coating since I have a feeling compromises would need to be made on the surface coating for it to be applicable on several type of surfaces. Whereas, the DPC V2 is newer and designed to only use on paint surfaces.

Other opinions would be greatly appreciated though. Cheers

Ebg18t
09-17-2015, 05:20 AM
The BlackFire Paint coating is another option. I have previously been a CQUK user, but after my discussions with AG I am trying the BF coating. Supposedly BF is easier to apply the CQUK but better marring resistance than PBL v2.

Temjin
09-17-2015, 07:18 AM
The BlackFire Paint coating is another option. I have previously been a CQUK user, but after my discussions with AG I am trying the BF coating. Supposedly BF is easier to apply the CQUK but better marring resistance than PBL v2.

Hmm..I wonder how I missed out on this particular product.

I just read about the lesser marring resistance and water beading effect disappears early on the PBL v2.

Gonna read a bit more on it. Thanks for the heads up!

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
09-17-2015, 07:30 AM
I have not used PBL v2 yet, but V1. Currently my vote goes for the new BlackFire Crystal Coat Paint Coating. One of the reasons is that with the new BF product the surface prep is by way of the spray and wipe method whereas with the PBL product, it is of the light machine polishing method. This can take longer and adds another round of polishing.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/92047-product-review-blackfire-crystal-coat-paint-coating.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/92484-blackfire-coating-wash-beading-sheeting-videos-photoshoot.html

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
09-17-2015, 07:49 AM
I have previously been a CQUK user, but after my discussions with AG I am trying the BF coating. Supposedly BF is easier to apply the CQUK but better marring resistance than PBL v2.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Temjin
09-17-2015, 08:37 AM
I have not used PBL v2 yet, but V1. Currently my vote goes for the new BlackFire Crystal Coat Paint Coating. One of the reasons is that with the new BF product the surface prep is by way of the spray and wipe method whereas with the PBL product, it is of the light machine polishing method. This can take longer and adds another round of polishing.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/92047-product-review-blackfire-crystal-coat-paint-coating.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/92484-blackfire-coating-wash-beading-sheeting-videos-photoshoot.html

Thanks for the recommendation and links Mike! I certainly agree with the ease of use with the coating prep spray instead of the hand/machine polishing for the PBL products.

Do i need to remove the coating before reapplying after 2 years? Or i need to go the full decontaminate, clay, polish and coat prep spray? I dont plan to do any paint correction myself and am using a mobile detailer to do it.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
09-17-2015, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the recommendation and links Mike! I certainly agree with the ease of use with the coating prep spray instead of the hand/machine polishing for the PBL products.

Do i need to remove the coating before reapplying after 2 years? Or i need to go the full decontaminate, clay, polish and coat prep spray? I dont plan to do any paint correction myself and am using a mobile detailer to do it.

No problem.

After 2 years the coating may very well be on its last leg unless maintained religiously. I say after two years I would go the full route of decontamination, claying, and polishing session to freshen up the surface and then perform a coating application.

When doing the freshening up process with the polishing session, remember to start off on the light side and move up if needed.