PDA

View Full Version : Collinite 476 and 845

Pages : [1] 2

sshazam
09-16-2015, 04:36 AM
Hello all,

My car spends all day baking under the hot Australian sun. I'm currently using Collinite 845 and I'm happy with it. I was considering combining it with 476S to improve the protection and increase the time between details.

I was thinking of applying 2 coats of 476 and one coat of 845 on top to achieve maximum protection and looks. Thinking of maybe adding DG Aquawax after each wash to boost protection and looks. My fear is bird droppings on the car and not being able to clean it quick enough.

Just wondering if anyone could shed some light if this is over kill or worth it ?

damaged442
09-16-2015, 05:17 AM
I really don't think layering them will show much benefit. I use 476 in the winter months and it holds up better than the 845, but both are definitely great in my book. At the very least, it's worth getting the 476 and possibly doing your own comparison to see how much longer it lasts for you. If your main concern is bird bombs, you have it lucky! Between the salt and sand all over my car in the winter, there are some days I can't even see the original color!

sshazam
09-16-2015, 07:54 AM
I really don't think layering them will show much benefit. I use 476 in the winter months and it holds up better than the 845, but both are definitely great in my book. At the very least, it's worth getting the 476 and possibly doing your own comparison to see how much longer it lasts for you. If your main concern is bird bombs, you have it lucky! Between the salt and sand all over my car in the winter, there are some days I can't even see the original color!

I thought about just using 476 but I have 3/4 of a bottle of 845 still and don't want it to go to waste which is why I thought about layering them. I read on another post that someone from Collinite said to layer them so you get the protection and a wet look.

Luckily my only issue is bird bombs and shopping centre car parks are my two nightmares I deal with. Although my roof is glass so i'm not sure if I do have to worry.

damaged442
09-16-2015, 08:30 AM
I really don't see too much of a difference between the look of the 476 and 845. They both look great, IMO.

I do know one thing, it won't hurt anything to layer them. I'm not sure if you will get any better look or durability.

mwoolfso
09-16-2015, 11:21 AM
Hello all,

My car spends all day baking under the hot Australian sun. I'm currently using Collinite 845 and I'm happy with it. I was considering combining it with 476S to improve the protection and increase the time between details.

I was thinking of applying 2 coats of 476 and one coat of 845 on top to achieve maximum protection and looks. Thinking of maybe adding DG Aquawax after each wash to boost protection and looks. My fear is bird droppings on the car and not being able to clean it quick enough.

Just wondering if anyone could shed some light if this is over kill or worth it ?

I think the 476/845 approach is sound. You would get a ton of longevity with this combination and 476 is an awesome base for the harsh Australian sun. However, I wouldn't apply Aquawax "after" every wash, but I would ask you to consider using Aquawax as a drying aid.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/29270-review-duragloss-aquawax-951-a.html

Anything you do that rubs against the protected surface affects durability. So combine the application with the drying step in your wash cycle and you help mitigate some of that harsh human interactions that are sometimes worse than the sun. ;-)

FUNX650
09-16-2015, 02:53 PM

What some may consider to be: "overkill"...
Is probably just considered to be:
"reasonable embellishment" to others.

As to bird droppings:
LSPs' film-thicknesses, of only a few
molecules total, probably won't provide
as much, if any, additional protection
time from bird droppings' damages
occurring...as you'd expect.

This saying still holds true:
"Remove Bird Droppings As Soon As Possible!"

Bob

sshazam
09-16-2015, 06:21 PM
I think the 476/845 approach is sound. You would get a ton of longevity with this combination and 476 is an awesome base for the harsh Australian sun. However, I wouldn't apply Aquawax "after" every wash, but I would ask you to consider using Aquawax as a drying aid.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/29270-review-duragloss-aquawax-951-a.html

Anything you do that rubs against the protected surface affects durability. So combine the application with the drying step in your wash cycle and you help mitigate some of that harsh human interactions that are sometimes worse than the sun. ;-)

I was thinking that as well. 845 sheets water pretty well and I thought Aquawax would improve lubricity. My only concern was if it wouldn't work cause some people say too many wax layers can create yellowing or dull finish. My other thought was i've heard is you shouldn't use wax unless you've just clayed the car as you're waxing contamination. My paint would be good but I can't say if it will be good in 2 - 3 months time.

What some may consider to be: "overkill"...
Is probably just considered to be:
"reasonable embellishment" to others.

As to bird droppings:
LSPs' film-thicknesses, of only a few
molecules total, probably won't provide
as much, if any, additional protection
time from bird droppings' damages
occurring...as you'd expect.

This saying still holds true:
"Remove Bird Droppings As Soon As Possible!"

Bob

If only I could monitor the car all day long I would ! I try and clean bird bombs as soon as I can. I even keep some washes wash and a microfibre towel in the car.

AnthonyGXP
09-16-2015, 06:32 PM
I would recommend a coating for maximum protection against bird droppings.

davidc
09-16-2015, 06:41 PM
I have had quite a few bombs on the 476S and some practically fell off, some required a damp cloth. None did any etching and it was the same with DG 601/105 or 601/111. Some I noticed in a few hours and some maybe a day later, some in the AZ. winter and some when it is 110. It may be what the bird ate also and decided to make a direct deposit on the vehicle.

Dave

Klasse Act
09-16-2015, 07:12 PM
IMO #476 is a better product than #845, so I would go with this because of one reason...durability! I applied 2x's going into winter last year and we got our butts kicked with snow and salt and it passed with flying colors with nothing more than a couple touch-free washes and routine RW's.

On a side note #915 is no slouche in the durability department and looks stunning on black and dark colored cars :xyxthumbs:

davidc
09-16-2015, 07:49 PM
476S states at least a year. 845 6 Months. 915 9 Months. I know which one I chose. Collinite states all of this on their site. Do your research and choose what you feel is right. I have 2 bottles of 845 and may use it over 476S/885 as I did with 915. They are all good products and my main requirement is durability.

Dave

MIsnowman
09-16-2015, 09:06 PM
I picked up both 476 and 845 for the winter months. I plan on putting two coats of 476 on my truck and sled trailer to try to protect them through the winter season. I've only used cheaper OTC products up until now and they have all given up before the spring thaw, especially on the lower portions where it gets more of the salt spray.

A little dirty...
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2959/salty_truck.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/99867)

sshazam
09-17-2015, 01:11 AM
I would recommend a coating for maximum protection against bird droppings.

I would love to get the car coated but its really expensive over here. For the money i'd rather get a car bra but it's around 3k to do an entire car over here.

I have had quite a few bombs on the 476S and some practically fell off, some required a damp cloth. None did any etching and it was the same with DG 601/105 or 601/111. Some I noticed in a few hours and some maybe a day later, some in the AZ. winter and some when it is 110. It may be what the bird ate also and decided to make a direct deposit on the vehicle.

Dave

Thats great to hear !
The car has a glass roof so I do have some leeway which is lucky.

IMO #476 is a better product than #845, so I would go with this because of one reason...durability! I applied 2x's going into winter last year and we got our butts kicked with snow and salt and it passed with flying colors with nothing more than a couple touch-free washes and routine RW's.

On a side note #915 is no slouche in the durability department and looks stunning on black and dark colored cars :xyxthumbs:

Thats exactly what I want to hear ! I"m very happy with the looks of 845 but would like to get more durability. I'm pushing 5+ months now on 845 on a garaged DD and i've noticed the car doesn't bead water as tight as it used to.

476S states at least a year. 845 6 Months. 915 9 Months. I know which one I chose. Collinite states all of this on their site. Do your research and choose what you feel is right. I have 2 bottles of 845 and may use it over 476S/885 as I did with 915. They are all good products and my main requirement is durability.

Dave

I've had a look on their website and can't see where you found this information ?
I don't know how well 915 stacks with 845.

I picked up both 476 and 845 for the winter months. I plan on putting two coats of 476 on my truck and sled trailer to try to protect them through the winter season. I've only used cheaper OTC products up until now and they have all given up before the spring thaw, especially on the lower portions where it gets more of the salt spray.

A little dirty...
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/2959/salty_truck.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/99867)

Just a little dirty :p

I don't understand how you guys deal with salt in the US. I would be so worried about rust and scratches on the car !

Paul A.
09-17-2015, 05:50 AM
I like mwoolfso's comment in that i try to "touch" my car as least as i have to. I'm a big fan of Coll 845 and admit to having no experience with the others (476/915) but if there is a more durable Coll product for your needs i would maybe lay that down and forget it for a while. Abrasion of the human kind i keep to an absolute minimum.

davidc
09-17-2015, 06:10 AM
Maybe they took this down as it was a .pdf file under the faq section. I haven't checked recently. This is one that was re-posted on AG. Remember this is a guideline.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=99868&size=1

Dave