PDA

View Full Version : Porter cable with LC 3" and 4" pads pic request

RichWentFishing
09-15-2015, 03:12 PM
I'm seriously contemplating ordering a porter cable for the express purpose of using smaller pads and stickin with the larger 6.5" pads for my flex 3401.

Can anyone post some pics of the porter cable with the smaller backing plate and pads?

Joe@NextLevelDetail
09-15-2015, 03:55 PM
I have a pc with 3 inch pads and 4 inch pads.

And the foam ones are lousy for cutting. If you order get the microfiber cutting pads.

This setup is hard to get it to correct at the level of your flex or rupes or boss.

Also i will warn you with this setup read carefully

THE 3 INCH BP ON THE PC WILL BURN PAINT AT A EXCESSIVE PACE.

with the pc you get used to the lack of power but understand that the smaller plate means more concentration of heat in one particular area as well as more orbits per minute.

So if you do this make sure you dont run it at 6 because with this backing plate you kind of lose the dual action and its more like a mini rotary.

So check the panel when you use it make sure its not too hot and dont cut for a long time like you would with the 5 inch plate on the pc.

I my self want to order the rupes mini for the 3 inch however forking up 300$ for a machine your going to use about 15% every correction (although very important)

Is a tough bullet to bite especially when its not your primary machine.

Im out of town now i would be more then happy to send you pics. When i get back i will.

Joe@NextLevelDetail
09-15-2015, 04:09 PM
Also alot of people have to understand the pc and the harbor freight da are almost identical in performance some say the harbor freight have a more powerful motor for torque.

So if i was you go to harbor freight and buy the machine for 50$ and invest another 70 in pads and plates and ur good for 130

Instead of paying 130 for a pc and you have to buy plates and pads ur in 210$ then at that point i would rather just buy the rupes mini.

Also harbor freight you can buy the warranty at the store for like 10 bucks for 2 years thats what i would do

custmsprty
09-15-2015, 04:10 PM
the LC 3.5" Backing Plate is a better set up, less wobble.

Kamakaz1961
09-15-2015, 04:22 PM
I'm seriously contemplating ordering a porter cable for the express purpose of using smaller pads and stickin with the larger 6.5" pads for my flex 3401.

Can anyone post some pics of the porter cable with the smaller backing plate and pads?

Here are some pics were I did the conversion. I too use my Flex for the big stuff. I have converted my PC7424 XP to handle 1 inch to 4 inch pads. The 5 inch pads and higher I go with my Flex 3401. IMO what you are doing to the PC going with smaller pads is a great thing! I use the PC now for the smaller jobs and could not be more happier. Here are some pics with the PE8 in comparison.

Joe@NextLevelDetail
09-15-2015, 04:32 PM
Here are some pics were I did the conversion. I too use my Flex for the big stuff. I have converted my PC7424 XP to handle 1 inch to 4 inch pads. The 5 inch pads and higher I go with my Flex 3401. IMO what you are doing to the PC going with smaller pads is a great thing! I use the PC now for the smaller jobs and could not be more happier. Here are some pics with the PE8 in comparison.

Pretty sweet where did you get that adapter for the pc and the 1 inch pads

shadowman
09-15-2015, 04:40 PM
Interesting idea.

LSNAutoDetailing
09-15-2015, 04:57 PM
I have a PC with 3.5 backing plate for 4" pads and 5" backing plate for 5.5" pads. As far as success, the 4" LC CCS Orange, White, Black & Blue spot buff pads work very well. The Yellow not so much because it's a different cell technology than the 5.5".

I use those to work in small sections with success. I don't think I'd go smaller than that on the PC because as NextLevelDtail you will be sending a lot of power with out it getting dispersed to the outer sectors of the pad. With that said, lower speeds (1 or 2) and light pressure, should be ok, it will just take you longer.

I am getting the Boss 15 for the larger 5.5 pads and keeping the 3.5 backing plate on my PC.

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and anyone feel free to correct, but for the tight areas, you may be better off with the Flex PE 8.
FLEX PE8 Kompakt Rotary Polisher, motorcycle polisher (http://www.autogeek.net/flex-pe8-compact-rotary-polisher.html)

It's rotary, thus some care must be taken for lower speeds and not a lot of pressure...

KB in MD
09-17-2015, 11:46 AM
Pretty sweet where did you get that adapter for the pc and the 1 inch pads

FLEX Rotary Foam Pads 1, 2, 3 Inch Diameter (http://www.autogeek.net/flex-rotary-foam-pads.html)

RTexasF
09-17-2015, 03:04 PM
My trusty old PC7336 has a smaller plate for 4" pads, sorry no pictures. By the way Cyclo pads work just fine on this setup. Since I also have a Cyclo I didn't need to order pads, just the backing plate.