PDA

View Full Version : Meguairs 105 drying up quickly while cutting

Pages : [1] 2

Deuces2010
09-15-2015, 11:23 AM
My question is, why is my M105 drying up while I'm cutting? It has happened on the last 2 vehicles ive done and cant figure out why???????? Very hard to remove and dust everywhere. My first 4 cars were just fine, using M105 and wiped off easily. I used Ultimate compound and 3M cutting as well and same result. The pad is cleaned and moistened when I start so I can'T figure out why. PLEASE HELP!

Deuces2010
09-15-2015, 11:34 AM
My question is, why is my M105 drying up while I'm cutting? It has happened on the last 2 vehicles ive done and cant figure out why???????? Very hard to remove and dust everywhere. My first 4 cars were just fine, using M105 and wiped off easily. I used Ultimate compound and 3M cutting as well and same result. The pad is cleaned and moistened when I start so I can'T figure out why. PLEASE HELP!

Corey@OptimalDetailing
09-15-2015, 11:38 AM
What temperature are you using it at? Pad? Machine? Speed? Lots of factors can play into this, maybe TOO MUCH product is being used. You say the pad is moistened, how so? Water, pad conditioner, etc?

DetailDrivenEugene
09-15-2015, 11:40 AM
Same thing happened every time I tried to use 105 with my flex. I have used it with my rotary with great results(other than the dust). I finally gave up on using it with the flex, and ordered the Wolfgang four for use with my DA.

richy
09-15-2015, 11:41 AM
You're doing something wrong. Try working a smaller area. Make sure you're using enough, although personally I find I use very little. Was the paint really hot? Was the car in the direct sun? I work in a garage and the surface is always cool. Don't know what else to suggest?

Deuces2010
09-15-2015, 11:50 AM
I've never had trouble like this until the last two cars ive done. Hopefully someone can give us some insight as to why. Which one is WOLF 4? I have a Flex and PC

DetailDrivenEugene
09-15-2015, 12:49 PM
Wolfgang four are the four Wolfgang products made for pbmg. Uber compound, total swirl remover, finishing glaze, and deep gloss paint sealant.

Mike Phillips says these four products will take care of 99% of paint issues. After reading and talking to Paul and Nick at AGO, I believe they are much more user friendly. My big box from AG should be here today, and I will post my experience when I get time to try them out

roguerobot
09-15-2015, 12:59 PM
M105 is known to dust and dry. You might not be doing anything wrong. Perhaps your pad is getting too hot, try a spritz of detailer spray every few passes.

jms493
09-15-2015, 01:02 PM
You might be using too much as well. M105 doesn't break down...spritz of water can reactivate it. Try a smaller area.

Is the surface of the vehicle hot, really weathered bad, wet-sanded?

jms493
09-15-2015, 01:05 PM
My fix to this was less product. M105 is pretty dusty though.

Deuces2010
09-15-2015, 01:08 PM
The surface is not hot but not wet sanded. I did the same thing to 4 other vehicles using UC with no issues but then switched to 105 and all this happened, making detailing not fun for me anymore. thanks for all the input and if you guys have any other suggestions/comments, keep'em coming!

Deuces2010
09-15-2015, 01:12 PM
I'm using a Flex with orange pad. I'm in a garage so not direct sunlight. I've used UC before with no issues on my first 4 cars, switched to 105 and chaos!lol.......I use about 5 quarter sized drops on the pad as well. I've heard that sometimes different cars have different surfaces and can soak up the 105 causing it to dry, true?

thanks for the input BTW

AGOatemywallet
09-15-2015, 01:15 PM
I agree with the above suggestions:

Shrink your working area to 24" x 24"... Measure it once...it's smaller than you think

Use less product than you think

I will also add that you may try reducing the machine speed setting to 4.5 of 6 on a PC. This will extend the working cycle.

M105 cuts hard and therefore removes a lot of material quickly, this accounts for the dust and shorter working cycle. The good news is that you shouldn't need more than three passes to get the job done.

richy
09-15-2015, 01:18 PM
I'm using a Flex with orange pad. I'm in a garage so not direct sunlight. I've used UC before with no issues on my first 4 cars, switched to 105 and chaos!lol.......I use about 5 quarter sized drops on the pad as well. I've heard that sometimes different cars have different surfaces and can soak up the 105 causing it to dry, true?

thanks for the input BTW

I typically use a black wool Tuff Buff pad for compounding and with that I use 3 dime sized (or smaller) drops. I'd say you're using too much. Try to use 1/2 of what you're comfortable with (seriously!) and then let me know how that works for you.

richy
09-15-2015, 01:21 PM
In fact, check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_uicqvg0qc&index=11&list=UUV6xDBAoiwXuGw_9V6zCkIQ