PDA

View Full Version : 3M Clear Bra

Pages : [1] 2

PetesRide
09-15-2015, 09:48 AM
Washing & Clay(no issue). What about machine polishing(no paint here)? What about Sealants & Waxes? Thanks

LSNAutoDetailing
09-15-2015, 10:21 AM
All are fine. Just don't catch the edges

TFTADetail
09-15-2015, 10:25 AM
Some companies warn against machine polishing. I've never experienced any problems ....... as was stated above watch those edges. Tape them off to be safe.

FUNX650
09-15-2015, 11:03 AM
Which "generation" is this
3M paint protection film (PPF)?

Bob

PetesRide
09-15-2015, 01:33 PM
3M Film (7 Mils) installed Nov,2012

LSNAutoDetailing
09-15-2015, 01:55 PM
Which "generation" is this
3M paint protection film (PPF)?

Bob

Bob has a good point. Mine was installed in 2013 and I can do all of the above and have many times; Compound, Polish, Wax, coat (pinnacle bl diamond coating - actually came out great).

Biggest PIA is the product buildup in the seams. Megs D114 will remove it.

frankprozzoly
09-15-2015, 06:42 PM
This is probably a dumb question but what happens to the film when you polish it? Does it shine up like clear coat. If theres a scratch in the film or swirls do they polish out without deteriorating the plastic film

frankprozzoly
09-15-2015, 06:43 PM
Also what do you do if the scratch is through the film

Toro1966
09-15-2015, 07:12 PM
Do you guys tape your seams before you polish/wax to avoid the buildup on the seams? If not, is there a direction we should be polishing to prevent the buildup or worse, the wax getting under the edges.

LSNAutoDetailing
09-15-2015, 07:39 PM
This is probably a dumb question but what happens to the film when you polish it? Does it shine up like clear coat. If theres a scratch in the film or swirls do they polish out without deteriorating the plastic film

3M film is clear coated, so yes it shines. Getting out scratches is nearly impossible if they are deep because it will groove in to the soft pliable material.

LSNAutoDetailing
09-15-2015, 07:41 PM
Do you guys tape your seams before you polish/wax to avoid the buildup on the seams? If not, is there a direction we should be polishing to prevent the buildup or worse, the wax getting under the edges.

For a customers car I would use a very thin 3M automotive tape for the lip of the seam. For my car, no I don't cover it and I treated as part of the body panel it gets compounded polished and wax just like everything else.

As stated above, I use a microfiber cloth soaked in a dilution of Maguires D114 and it cleans up nicely.

LSNAutoDetailing
09-15-2015, 07:43 PM
Some companies warn against machine polishing. I've never experienced any problems ....... as was stated above watch those edges. Tape them off to be safe.

TFTADetail is correct, you need to follow the directions provided by the manufacturer and installer and not assume that it's the most recent 3M product.

Toro1966
09-16-2015, 07:20 PM
Thanks Paul. Do you go a specific direction across the seam? I.e from front of hood to rear etc? Also, does the APC you use to clean up the seam take off the wax/polish you just put on? Thanks!

LSNAutoDetailing
09-16-2015, 07:40 PM
Thanks Paul. Do you go a specific direction across the seam? I.e from front of hood to rear etc? Also, does the APC you use to clean up the seam take off the wax/polish you just put on? Thanks!

On my own personal car I do not go in any particular direction. I use my DA on it as I do on any other body panel. On my personal car I not only have clear-bra on the front of my car, but all along the rocker panels. On a customer car, I wouldn't touch it.

I do not use APC to clean the wax, APC is never used on the surface of a vehicle. If not diluted properly, a strong APC can cause etching.

I use Meguiar's D114 NR Express Wash or Pinnacle Crystal Mist QD. I spray it into the MF cloth, and only on the seam (gingerly). My D114 is in a 1:128 dilution.
Meguiars Rinse Free Express Wash, rinseless car wash, no rinse (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-rinsefree-express-wash.html)
Use Pinnacle Crystal Mist Carnauba Spray Wax anytime to bring back that just-waxed shimmer. Contains real carnauba wax in a easy spray formula. (http://www.autogeek.net/pincrysmis.html)

For customers cars, I always tape off everything and cover the rims & tires to prevent dusting and compound buildup on trim, as seen below. Again, I recommend a 3M Automotive tape, very thin, say 5mm to just place over the seam. It will make clean up much easier.

If you are going to compound and polish the entire car, you're going to want to tape off the trim anyway.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j5/Mustang030308/General%20Stuff/42514610-5D97-49B2-BA41-4BF0A5C87CAF_zpsssgsgyw4.jpg (http://s76.photobucket.com/user/Mustang030308/media/General%20Stuff/42514610-5D97-49B2-BA41-4BF0A5C87CAF_zpsssgsgyw4.jpg.html)

PetesRide
09-17-2015, 08:15 AM
I polished over the clear bra yesterday. It went well. I used a medium bristle, small head toothbrush, at about 30 degrees & lightly held. I ran it along the edge & removed all dry product.
Roy